Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wealth Management Secrets That Beat The Ivy League

FYI:
Regards,
Ted
Business is full of acronyms, some better than others. A favorite of mine is KISS — Keep It Simple, Stupid, which has surprising relevance when it comes to wealth management secrets.

And that’s the explanation, in fittingly modest Midwestern terms, that we get from the manager of the equally modest endowment of Carthage College in Kenosha, Wis.

In the 10 years ending June 2017, that manager — a former beer company executive named Bill Abt — simply slayed the big, fancy endowments, including Harvard.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wealth-management-secrets-that-beat-the-ivy-league-2018-06-05/print

Comments

• I do find these Johnny-Come-Lately pieces advising to index and keep it simple nine years into a bull market a little suspect. Such a piece would be far more interesting and provocative in June of 2009 instead of 2018.
  • For once LB, we are in agreement. :-)
  • LOL. It would seem both hindsight as well as lack of intelligence are both 20-20. If these ANALysts didn't pen such masterpieces, we wouldn't know they exist.

In any case, like I have long contended, there is a quota that needs to be filled and they can only have "Who killed Marilyn Monroe" or "X years after Madoff" etc articles about once a year. For the rest of the year, they cannot rely on another bank like Wells Fargo screwing its Customers. So I'm sure at beginning of every year/quarter, they make a plan on what article should be published on what date and follow that schedule.

I don't recall enough "Sell in May" articles this year. It is quite possible soon we will see one charting historical plots on how that strategy has done. Or if the market tanks in the couple of months articles will be penned based on whether it has worked or not on average because that number changes every year.

I'm wondering when media companies will deploy robots to write articles for them. There seems to be great untapped potential there with lot of historical data to train Machine Learning models to spit out articles.

PS - If someone implements above idea, you owe me.
  • "I'm wondering when media companies will deploy robots to write articles for them."

Some already have, with short financial "articles", to a primitive degree. So far the result isn't pretty.

• @Old_Joe is right. Today's NPR program "1a" featured the effects of AI on journalism and how some writers could be replaced by "robots."
  • edited June 2018
    WTF are you guys talking about! Really? Can you give me an actual example. Would really like to read it.

Very upsetting when you crack a joke, and it is actually true. However, I would say more then "some" writers could be replaced by Robots. BUT the real issue I have is why don't those writers simply disappear with their stupid articles? I mean why automate a job that's not required in first place!
  • @VF: here’s the link to the broadcast I cited:

https://the1a.org/shows/2018-06-06/artificial-intelligence-in-journalism

In fact, a quick Google search pulled several articles on AI in journalism and the frequency of articles written by other than a human hand.
  • Wonder how the robot articles would be "Signed". Google Robot 1/2/3...

Or people who implemented Robot should get credit?

If this is already happening, it would actually make a lot of sense regarding what I've been ranting about - the regularity with which the same BS is circulated again and again and again - seems like what mindless (pun intended) Robots are supposed to do. Not even sure if Machine Learning is that important if you ware doing a dedicated task, the only thing changing is the data, calculation of averages, table/chart displays generated from changed data, etc. No real prediction required, just execute a bunch of rules.
  • @VintageFreak- From what I've seen so far, the "technology" is about at the level of when mass mailings first attempted to "personalize" by being addressed to you. This, if you remember, produced some interesting artifacts, along the lines of "Dear Addressee Unknown".

The stuff out there now consists of remarkably bland pre-cooked "financial" paragraphs, with the company name and some other info such as recent stock price filled in by the robot.