Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Way off target - going to Key West 8/25

edited August 2012 in Off-Topic
Any must see's or must do's? Besides the sunsets with margaritas I mean

Comments

• My fav. writer, maybe: check out the Hemingway home. Don't go if you don't like cats. There are DOZENS of housecats roaming around the place. All part of the attraction. "You can't swing a dead cat" without stepping over one of them. But the docent gives an interesting presentation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_West,_Florida#Ernest_Hemingway
  • edited August 2012
    Great Destination - We generally fly in nonstop from Tampa or Orlando. Arriving & departing the 4800 ft runway on the 737s used on those routes is interesting in itself. We rent a car at airport and head north. Other than the ocean views and public beaches, not too familiar with city. They have tour busses running all the time for small change - that's best way to take it all in. Also, a nice area to walk down near the port where large cruise ships park. The Hemingway House and Sloppy Joe's bar where E.H. supposedly hung out are popular. Depending on your time, couple of one-day boat rides have been recommended to me, but haven't been on either (see links). Main one goes to the Dry Tortoguas Islands couple hours to the west. The other is a scheduled shuttle north to Ft. Meyers. Nice ride I hear, but looks like it requires overnight stay in Ft. Meyers. Also, at one time you could take a float plane from Key West Airport to the islands and back. Last I heard they were discontinued, but if started again, would be fun. If you have a car, there's several really nice state parks to the north. Best for the beach set is Bahia Honda an hour to the northeast. John Pennekamp 2+ hours north has the coolest glass bottom boat tours over the coral reefs for only about $25. Highly recommend. Both also have snorkel boats that will take you out half day. Runs about $75+ with equipment rental. Snorkeling trips are big down there because of the reefs - so if limited to Key West, check out availability there. I also enjoy the half-day fishing trip on the Marathon Lady out of Marathon about 90 minutes northeast of Key West. Runs about $55 with rod rental. They have a web site. Walking the old stretch of the 7 mile Bridge to Pigeon Key, accessible near Marathon is a real treat and free. It's part of the original bridge which was mostly destroyed in a Hurricane. State refuses to maintain it, so expect it to be closed to the public any day now, but a real treat to walk & very popular. Beautiful area. You won't have any trouble finding stuff to do. Have Fun.

Yankee Freedom to Dry Tortougas: http://www.yankeefreedom.com/

Shuttle to Ft. Meyers: http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/rates.html

"Mile Markers in the Flordia Keys" - by Jerry Wilkenson (great for touring the Keys)
    http://www.keyshistory.org/MileMarkerChart.html

• I live in the Keys and find the cruise ships to be an annoying eyesore. In Key West have a meal at the historic Blue Heaven restaurant; Hemingway used to referee boxing matches there; it's also a former bordello. My favorite place for a drink is the outdoor deck on the ocean at Louie's Backyard restaurant.
  • Thank you all - just the kind of info I was looking for especially the 'local' tips. I generally avoid touristy stuff preferring to explore on my own but have noted the Hemingway House and possibly a kayak tour. Might have to add that bridge walk. I lived on the west coast for a number of years so it will be interesting to see the differences in flora and fauna. Mostly an outdoor guy.
  • edited August 2012
    I think that flora may have gained a little weight, but fauna is still just a little deer!

(Sorry about that... have a great trip!)
  • edited August 2012
    Oops (ignore)

• beebee
    edited August 2012
    Cuban at El Siboney, Pelican Wings and a Hurricane at the Southern Most on the Beach, Turtle Races & Pull Pork Sliders At Turtle Krawl, "Reds" (X-large Gulf Shrimp) at Conch Republic...Sunset...Sunset....Sunset...Music at the Green Parrot and Hog's Breath...rest and repeat daily. Have Fun!

Sounds like good place for the first annual MFO gathering...
  • I agree, bee!
  • Hey Mark, for outdoorsy-wildlife folks, there's the beautifully restored Audubon home and gardens right in KW:

http://www.audubonhouse.com/aboutah.htm

and Dry Tortugas NP, out at the end of the chain of reefs west (70 miles) of KW, accessible by ferry - day trip, camp, snorkel, historic fort. I didn't get there on my one visit to the Keys, but the two locals I know say I've got to come back and do it.

http://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

• Howdy Mark,

Great choice. The Last Resort. Pace of life so slow it doesn't even move. Invented the late brunch under the Banyan tree. EVERY day you must head down to Mallory Dock for the sunset. Hundreds gather for a worldclass eyeball freeforall with entertainment. Watch the crowd and when the sun sinks, everyone politely applauds and heads for dinner. Take the Conch Train tour. It sounds very fudgelike but in a couple of hours will give you an overview, history, etc. and you'll have your bearings. Higher than normal gay population because it's just so damn mellow and relaxed - so do NOT be surprised at PDAs and such. No one really cares. However, it makes for very interesting shopping down Duval (main drag). Expect to be more than mildly surprised. Seafood, seafood, seafood. Key West is different. It's great in and of itself, but it's also the 'end of the pier' for parts unknown. This is where Highway 1 ends.

I've been there 5 times and spent about 6 weeks back in the 70's. Got a job as a kitchen gopher in a raw bar and patio restaurant. It's funny that my mom, who traveled literally all over the world, considered both Key West and Bangkok her two favorite places . . . which coincidentally, so do it.

enjoy,

rono

• edited August 2012
    Reply to @rono: The icing on the cake - your mom's favorite. I'm all in now. Actually going down to help my son celebrate his advancement and initiation into the Air Force Senior NCO ranks in Tampa. Bolting down to Key West, well, because it's Key West but also to avoid the GOP convention.
  • Reply to @Mark: Now let's not go irritating Maurice (again)!

Have a great trip. I wish your son well, from an ex-coastie.

OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Hey man!, Lightning here. Geez I haven't irriatated Maurice in a long time, at least not as far as I know. I honestly try not to but sometimes the devil just gets ya if you know what I'm sayin'. My son knows about you and how we're destined and in line to take over your place down Big Sur way so I'll pass your congrats along. Thanks.
  • Hi Mark,

I’m sure you’ll enjoy a great time in the Sunshine State. Much to do, and usually too little time to do it in a relaxed way. As I’ve mentioned earlier. My favorite food in and around Key West is conch, conch soap, conch anything. I quickly became addicted to it.

However, I particularly joined this discussion to congratulate your son on his upcoming promotion into the NCO ranks. That is a fine and distinguished accomplishment. NCOs are who make the military work. I salute him for his commitment and dedication to protecting all of us.

Please extend my heartfelt thanks to him. I wish him a long, safe, and successful military career. I know he will achieve all his goals. If I could, I would buy him a cold beer; please do it for me.

Best Wishes.
  • Reply to @MJG: That I will do and thank you.
  • Howdy Mark,

Geez, trying to avoid the Grand Ole Party in Tampa, you decide you'd rather go to Key West for a bloody hurricane.

Reminds me of a story of John Muir who during his time in the high sierra, was once up around 10K+ when a winter storm blew up. Old John climbed a tree so he could be closer to the storm.

peace and be careful,

rono
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @rono: Hi Rono - Here's a link to latest NHS advisory in case Mark can view this. Hope he's driving. Nasty little runway there at Key West when wet ... Add some cross-winds & holy **##**!! -

(P.S. - Looks like lota wind heading for Tampa:-) -

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/250853.shtml
  • Key West Airport will close at 7 tonight. Tourists are being advised to leave the Keys by tonight; tomorrow will be too late. I'll be hanging out at my local watering hole on Plantation Key this evening (two blocks from my apartment). Weather has been deteriorating here since early morning.
  • Thank you all for checking back in. Funny things happen when you're not 20-something anymore. Game called on account of wind. I maintained that it's just a slight breeze but also reckoned I can give it another shot come winter. So tgeno, save my seat assuming it doesn't blow away.
  • Hah! This is my last hurricane. Next Thursday I load all my possessions into a U-Haul and my car onto a trailer and begin a 6-day trek to my new apartment in Boulder, Colorado -- a move that has been several months in the planning stage. Isaac almost screwed up my schedule, but by next Thursday, I should be dealing with nothing more than a little rain.
  • edited August 2012
    Reply to @tgeno: Hah! - congrats on the new diggs. IMHO - both areas are tops for places to live. What I've never understood about the Keys is how any "average" person can afford to live there. Habitable land is sparse. All but the most expensive "mansions" appear tightly crowded together. (I'd be battling with the neighbor in no time:-) ... A pound of slimy hamburger will run ya as much in the grocery as fine steak does in the north here. Gas is high too ... Looking forward to your posts from Colorado.
  • Reply to @hank: I did my homework. Cost of living in Boulder is about the same as in the Keys. I got a huge 2 BR, 2 Bath apartment with a fireplace in Boulder for only a few hundred bucks a month more than my 1 BR, 1 Bath apartment here in the Keys. Hamburger? Steak? This is the Keys -- you eat locally caught fish and lobster. If you think you'd be battling the neighbor, you're not ready for the Keys; you need to lay back, chill out, and enjoy the diversity. Sometimes a fine "mansion" is on a lot next door to a double-wide trailer, and the neighbors get along fine.
  • Howdy folks,

Congrats Tom. Boulder is one of the finer places to live. Tough thing about so many wondeful places is that there are no jobs in paradise so you need to 'bring your own' income stream. That said . . . lucky dog.

rono
  • Finally made it, just in time for a big hog rally. Too bad mine's sitting in a garage back in MN. Oh we'll, we can all still party on Duval. Staying at the Truman.
  • edited September 2013
    We just vacationed there. Flew into EYW. Taxi to Casa Marina Resort. Lanai suite by pool. Try to do every year.

Here are views from room, bar, and of pool:

Normally, we just hang at resort. Lunch at pool bar. Sunset dinner on beach. Help at the resort is often interns from locations all over globe, so really makes it interesting.

When we do venture out, it's typically Michaels Restuarant or something more casual, like Vito's Piazza.

We usually walk to restaurants in town, but sometimes return via cab.

Mostly, just enjoy sun and warm water...the latter is something not available in our beloved Central Coast California.

We avoid Duval Street totally.

In any case, have a great time.
  • Good stuff Charles, and I know what you mean about the water temp. So far we've found no need for a vehicle either. Fun place.
  • Reply to @tgeno:

Sounds like you’ll be arriving in Boulder in time to settle in
    before the snow flies.
    Buy plenty of warm clothes.
    You’ll be next to Colorado University and a stone’s throw from
    the Rockies. The town is extremely liberal and if that’s your style,
    you’ll enjoy the PC attitudes. And it may take a while to
    get use to the altitude. Be prepared for some thin air.
    Welcome to Colorado.