Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Republicans just made it easier for you to get 'Equifaxed'

They just rolled back the arbitration rule. Good luck trying to sue:

businessinsider.com/gop-roll-back-obama-arbitration-rule-2017-10

https://nytimes.com/2017/10/24/business/senate-vote-wall-street-regulation.html
The overturning of the rule, with Vice President Mike Pence breaking a 50-to-50 tie, will further loosen regulation of Wall Street as the Trump administration and Republicans move to roll back Obama-era policies enacted in the wake of the 2008 economic crisis. By defeating the rule, Republicans are dismantling a major effort of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the watchdog created by Congress in the aftermath of the mortgage mess.

The rule, five years in the making, would have dealt a serious blow to financial firms, potentially exposing them to a flood of costly lawsuits over questionable business practices.

For decades, credit card companies and banks have inserted arbitration clauses into the fine print of financial contracts to circumvent the courts and bar people from pooling their resources in class-action lawsuits. By forcing people into private arbitration, the clauses effectively take away one of the few tools that individuals have to fight predatory and deceptive business practices. Arbitration clauses have derailed claims of financial gouging, discrimination in car sales and unfair fees.

The new rule written by the consumer bureau, which was set to take effect in 2019, would have restored the right of individuals to sue in court. It was part of a spate of actions by the bureau, which has cracked down on debt collectors, the student loan industry and payday lenders.

Comments

• Morn'in @LewisBraham

Was just about to post same.....
    I must be getting the "brain farts" with aging.
    Will those more enlightened please provide for me why this portion of the CFPB is so evil and not of benefit to the "regular folks".
    I don't have the time, but lobbyist money flow would be an interesting view.
    Thank you.

I'll add this:

All is well, there's nothing going on or to see here; move along people.....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When the "partisan politics" are such that the opposing party publicly states that it's one and only overriding goal is the defeat of the president, what recourse is left to the executive branch other than "an office and a pen"?
  • Lewis- he's had a lot of practice at that, so he's pretty good by now.
  • edited October 2017
    Maurice said:

I never went back to the Equifax site to complete the registration. So I preserve my right to sue. Based on what I've read, if I am part of a class action lawsuit, my prospects of recovery are between $5 and $7. Go lawsuits!

- Agree with Maurice. I started to enroll, but dropped out when the Equifax site began asking sensitive questions. Why hand over your keys to the incompetents?

- Out of the blue, I recently received an email from Amazon notifying me that I’d been awarded 38-cents as my share of a class action suit involving Apple ebooks (perhaps purchased thru Amazon?). Haven’t decided yet what to do with this good fortune.

- Hey guys - I don’t find DT a laughing matter.
  • beebee
    edited October 2017
    @Lewisbraham,

Obama finish his terms in office with 277 executive order. Historically there have been many more by other presidents.

and more recently the list is:

Then there is the power of the seating president,
    The interesting thing about executive orders is that they are built on faulty foundations. They are more theoretical than factual. An executive order can be ripped out from under itself just as quickly as it was signed.

On day one of his presidency, Donald Trump will be able to shred and dispose of any executive order that Obama signed into law, making them 100 percent invalid.
    source:
    the-list-of-executive-orders-that-trump-will-dispose-of-immediately

So, some previous executive orders are disposed of by executive orders.

The Whitehouse keeps track of these orders:
    https://whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/executive-orders
  • edited October 2017
    @Bee Except that Obama's total executive orders during his two term presidency were less than George W Bush's, less than Bill Clinton's, less than Ronald Reagan's and most other modern two term presidents: presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php
    This idea that he was some tyrant overstepping his bounds and previous presidents weren't is simply bs. And those previous presidents weren't facing the most obstructionist Congress in U.S. history.
  • "those previous presidents weren't facing the most obstructionist Congress in U.S. history"

Exactly.
  • Not disagreeing @LewisBraham, Obama seemed to lacked the leadership to guide the House and Senate to consensus and broker a deal (turning a bill into law).

Trump prides himself on "the art of the deal" but,
    Trump has continued in the Obama tradition of using a combination of presidential memorandums and executive orders to guide the executive branch. Trump has used memorandums to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and reinstate the Mexico City policy banning the use of government funds to non-governmental organizations that provide reproductive health services. overseas. He also signed a series of executive actions that would advance the Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
    source (and a pretty good background article on Executive Orders):
    https://dailydot.com/layer8/number-of-executive-orders-per-president/
  • @bee
    You say "Obama seemed to lacked the leadership to guide the House and Senate to consensus and broker a deal" when what he was facing was a party that had no interest in ever brokering any deals:
  • Well, the miserable SOB finally got his wish, but after two terms for Obama. I hope that he's enjoying every damned minute of what he has caused, but somehow, I think not.