Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Obamacare Rates Rise in States Unsettled by Trump

https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-27/obamacare-rates-set-to-rise-as-trump-opposition-creates-turmoil
Florida said Tuesday that most of its 45 percent average increase in premiums stems from the risk that the Trump administration will skip cost-sharing payments that reimburse insurers for lowering rates
By the way, if anyone thinks this isn't stock or fund related, think again. The outcome of all this healthcare squabbling has had and will continue to have a dramatic effect on healthcare stocks and funds. When McCain rejected the latest version of the healthcare law, hospital and other healthcare stocks like HCA and Tenet Healthcare jumped:

fortune.com/2017/09/22/healthcare-stocks-soar-after-mccain-rejects-obamacare-repeal/

In fact, I bet there are many traders playing this debate, buying then selling various healthcare stocks, ETFs and funds based purely on these DC and state negotiations.

Comments

• msf
    edited September 2017
    What the insurers appear to be doing is pricing their policies for the worst case scenario.

Under the current law, insurers are required to provide silver plans with reduced deductibles, copays, and coinsurance (cost share reductions) to lower income people regardless of whether the federal government pays for them. If they have to absorb these costs themselves, the insurers must charge more in premiums to cover the costs. Simply and rationally, that's what they're doing.

If it turns out that the government does cover these costs, then because the insurers have boosted their top lines (revenue), they've correspondingly boosted their bottom lines (profits). ACA requires insurers to return premiums to the extent they spend less than 80% (the so called medical loss ratio) on medical care. But that's still going to boost their profits above current levels, thus making insurers a "buy".

Note: The insurance industry finally turned in profits under ACA last year, so this profit boost doesn't appear needed for the insurers' viability.
    Obamacare marketplaces just had their most profitable first quarter ever (WP, July 10)

Also from the Bloomberg article:
    Insurers have also pushed for a repeal of the health-insurance tax, and they’ve said a reinsurance program ... could help reduce overall costs
    Reinsurance tends to help most when an insurer is not confident about its actuarial figures (e.g. because it doesn't have much experience in the individual health insurance market). That's why the ACA provided reinsurance (on of the "three Rs") for the first three years (2014-2016), and part of why premiums jumped in 2017.

The learning curve was a bit longer than expected, so an extension of a couple of years from a functional Congress could have helped significantly. It's also why the Republicans in Minn implemented a statewide reinsurance program.

The next time you hear that the ACA needs to be repealed to enable states to implement their own solutions, take a closer look. "Section 1332 of the Affordable Care Act permits a state to apply for a State Innovation Waiver to pursue innovative strategies to provide its residents with access to high-quality, affordable health insurance."
    https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/insurance/reinsurance/

• Treasonous, actually:

Paul Waldman WaPo:

... asked ... about its decision to abruptly pull out of all outreach events in the South, [HHS] issued a statement that read in part:

'The American people know a bad deal when they see one and many won’t be convinced to sign up for "Washington-knows-best" health coverage that they can’t afford. For the upcoming enrollment period, Americans are being hit with another round of double-digit premium hikes and nearly half of our nation’s counties are facing Obamacare monopolies. As Obamacare continues to collapse, HHS is carefully evaluating how we can best serve the American people who continue to be harmed by Obamacare’s failures.'

I have truly never seen anything like that in all my years of observing politics. This is the agency that is mandated by law to implement the Affordable Care Act, which includes taking all the steps it can to maximize enrollment, proclaiming that it has no intention of doing so.
  • I wrote: The next time you hear that the ACA needs to be repealed to enable states to implement their own solutions, take a closer look.

[HHS] issued a statement that read in part:

'The American people know a bad deal when they see one and many won’t be convinced to sign up for "Washington-knows-best" health coverage

Gosh, that was fast!
  • edited September 2017
    From Monday, so far as I can tell, not that they hadn't been actively sabotaging prior:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/9/27/16374158/obamacare-mississippi-hhs-events

This is pretty astonishing, in an astonishing month (not-US Haiti relief in 2010 massive and instant, Puerto Rico the opposite, and all the rest).

(I never used to be buy the 'it's all racism' line. )

https://www.axios.com/by-2018-obamacare-could-unaffordable-for-the-average-family-2490959155.html

That's okay, soon it will get a lot worse; and then when federalism finally triumphs it will get really really bad.
  • If the insurance providers in MS and other Southern states find the exchange policies profitable, they may have to conduct their own outreach programs.
  • And yet, here in New York State, where the average consumer on the marketplace should see a 5% decrease in premiums after credits, the average increase due to CSR uncertainty (the main sabotage, according to Gaba) is only 0.6%: https://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2017/2017-09-28_2018_insurance_options.htm.

In other words, it seems that smart & well-intentioned state governments can find a way to mostly compensate for the Trump admin's sabotage, but of course for the many states whose goal is make Obamacare fail, Trump has opened the door further.
  • msf
    edited September 2017
    New York is unique in several ways. We can deconstruct these data:

Aside from Minn., NY is the only state to provide a Basic Health Program (PHP). This is a heavily subsidized, virtually zero cost (to patient) plan allowed by ACA in lieu of individual insurance for lower income people. As a result, most New Yorkers who would normally be eligible for CSRs aren't insured through exchange silver plans but through BHP. So CSRs aren't a big deal to NY insurers. That's not something new (and I posted about this before).

See ACAsignups for details on the numbers on BHP and the impact on rates.
    http://acasignups.net/17/08/24/new-york-approved-rate-hikes-knocked-down-couple-points-nominal-csr-factor-outlier.

Regarding the 5% subsidized reduction in premiums, one needs to understand how subsidies work. Note that the unsubsidized premiums are going up a weighted average of about 13% (per ACAsignups calculation). Subsidies bring this down, but in a not so clear way that's got virtually nothing to do with NY actions.

If your income level is 300%-400% of federal poverty level (FPL), then if you were to purchase the second lowest cost silver plan on the market, you'd pay no more than about 9.7% of your income. The dollar amount of the subsidy you're eligible for is the excess premium. You can apply those subsidy dollars not only to the second lowest cost silver plan, but to any plan sold on the exchange that you want.

Suppose the cost of the second lowest silver plan this year is $100 more than the second lowest silver plan last year. (Doesn't have to be the same plan, just whatever has the second lowest cost). Let's say that it had been $400/mo, and is now $500/mo. That's a 25% increase. If your income didn't go up, then your subsidy goes up $100 to hold your cost to the same 9.7% of income.

Since one plan went up 25%, the other, higher priced plans must have risen less, to average out to 13%. For the sake of argument, let's say that all the others rose by $50, from $500 to $550/mo in 2018. A 10% rise; after weighting all the plans, the average rise could be 13%.

Since you're getting $100 more in subsidies for the plans, and the premiums (on the higher priced plans) are rising only $50, your net (subsidized) cost this year is dropping $50. So the subsidized premiums on the higher priced plans is dropping 10% ($50/$500), and holding steady on the second lowest plan.

Take the weighted average of these subsidized premium changes and you get a decrease of somewhere between 0% and 10%. This is not brilliance by NY. It just shows that the cheaper plans are going up faster than the more expensive plans. Just what you'd expect if some of the plans had been underpriced.

Edit: Figures also don't seem to include Empire BC/BS, which has 16% of the NY market, but decided to overhaul its plans so there are no comparable "before" and "after" numbers.

Edit: Though Empire says its plans are new for 2018, it appears to have just eliminated its "nonstandard" plans, and its 2018 standard plans seem basically the same as 2017's. For individual, old/new (bronze, silver, gold, plat) rates are: $520.96/$729.59 (40% increase), $650.19/$882.73 (36% increase), $770.16/$1057.86 (37% increase), and $897.12/1313.60 (46%!). Even with a larger subsidy this year, I think these figures throw a monkey wrench into NYS's claim that subsidized rates went down an average of 5%.

Lies, darn lies, and statistics. Always try to understand what the numbers really mean.
  • @msf Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to break it all down.
  • Than you @msf for your detail analysis that help me to better appreciate the complexity of ACA.
  • Hey guys, thanks, but these posts help me too. They're sanity checks that whether or not I've got the numbers just right, at least they make sense.
  • Not directly related to the ACA thread here; but we just received our "supplemental insurance" notification for price changes in 2018. The increase will be 5.75% for our area of Michigan.
    And yes, thank you again @msf ,for being so gracious with your time and efforts to the great benefit of MFO members.
  • @catch22, The increase of 5.75% is almost twice that of inflation. What has been the rates for the last several years?
  • edited October 2017
    Hi @Sven
    Supplement health plan rate changes:

2012 to 2013 = 9%
    2013 to 2014 = 3.2%
    2014 to 2015 = 4.3%
    2015 to 2016 = 4.1%
    2016 to 2017 = 2.1%
    2017 to new rate beginning Jan. 2018 = 5.75%

Total change for the 6 period time frame = 28.45%, with average annual at 4.74%.
    However, this is not the compounded rate for the time frame.

One inflation calculator indicates an inflation change of +6.9% beginning 2012 to present.

An inflation graphic 1913 to present: (the link info indicates 2008, but graphic is current)

http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/consumer-price-index-cpi-and-annual-percent-changes-from-1913-to-2008/

• @catch22, thank you for the info. No wonder cost healthcare is big part of expenditure after retirement. I still have a way to go. A month ago I attended a pre-retirement seminar which got me thinking about educating myself on Medicare and all other supplement plans. Several of my colleagues who work for themselves and depend on ACA to get medical coverage.
  • Well, this looks to get explosive, yet again, and unproductively so. Amazing prospect:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/obamacare-premiums-set-to-skyrocket-in-2018.html
  • edited October 2017
    The carriers warned that threatening to withhold CSR payments would be the main cause of premium increases....and thus, the premiums have increased.

Perhaps I've become too jaded, but I really doubt that the folks impacted by this increase will be able (or willing) to determine the primary culprit and hold them accountable.

Over the next few weeks, I will need to see what my ACA plan costs will be. Currently, it's $15K out of pocket. Hopefully it can stay below 20.
  • polling suggests the public will be able to see it quite clearly, but yeah, I too am doubtful
  • yup, such destructiveness, all round, everywhere you look, and nonstop
  • Everyone's hurt, but the red states, which depend on the federal government to run their exchanges and do outreach, the most.

But yeah, I"m doubtful he'll pay the price. His supporters will blame moderate Republicans for blocking his healthcare "plan."
  • "Lies, darn lies, and statistics. Always try to understand what the numbers really mean"

@msf- I do, I do, but without someone like yourself to show the way it's sometimes pretty hopeless. You remind me of Gandalf. Thanks so much for your ongoing contribution to MFO.

Best regards-
    OJ
  • msf
    edited October 2017
    A very long but excellent recapitulation of how we got here with CSRs and also how terminating CSRs could even cause insurance policies to terminate in mid-year:

ACA Signups, 10/5/17, A Brief, Snarky History of the CSR Mess and why Congressional action is needed NOW

Aside from all the politics and efforts to inflict damage on the existing system, there's still the fundamental problem that health care simply costs too much in the US - about double anywhere else, and rising.

Without digging up cites now but from memory: 18% of GDP and rising; provider costs over the next couple of years rising around 6-7%/yr (from various studies and insurer filings); pharma accounting for much of that with increases around 9-12% and other costs rising around 3-5%/yr.

There's a huge amount of waste (10-30%) due to excessive, unnecessary care. Consumer Reports and other organizations have started a program called Choosing Wisely to educate people in how they can help contain costs (and get better care) by watching out for excessive testing, prescriptions, treatments, etc. Disclaimer and ad: I'm involved with this program as a volunteer "patient champion". I can provide more info, but that should be via email.

The flip side (too little care as opposed to too much wrong care) is that there are many people just now beginning to get halfway decent care, e.g. via Medicaid expansion and insuring those who had been denied coverage due to preexisting conditions. Increased utilization is another reason why health costs are increasing. That doesn't mean the system is broken. It's doing what it's supposed to, and this cause of increased usage should subside as health improves for those less healthy people who have been brought into the system.

There's a lot Congress could do to fix things, starting with (as the ACASignups column mentioned) simply funding CSRs. I was aware of the Section 1332 waiver actions (WaPo link); ironic since the Republicans have advocated block grants to give states the flexibility which Trump is now obstructing.
  • This short video does a pretty good job of explaining ACA subsidies:

• The video is a good starting point to see one of the flaws with the ACA subsidies: they're tiered so that a penny difference in income can make a huge difference in what you can afford.

Start at the 1:15 mark. If your income as an individual is $3832/mo, you'll get a subsidy. But if your income is $3833/mo, you won't.

Skip to 2:13. It gives the example of a $400 bronze plan. Quite possibly all the bronze plans here cost over $365, which happens to be 9.5% of your monthly income. (We know that from the first part where the video calculates your subsidy.)

So if you're just over the limit, you'd have to pay more than 9.5% of your income for any plan. Doesn't sound too affordable to me. It doesn't sound too affordable to the government either. If the lowest price plan costs more than roughly 8% of your income (after subsidies) then you're exempt from the mandate under the unaffordability exemption.

As rates continue to be pushed higher, insurance will become unaffordable for more people above the 400% FPL. By the ACA's definition.
  • edited October 2017
    And, now add THIS to the picture. Despicable. Should I be glad that I'm not female? A female who might dare to engage in sexual activity--- and be SMART about it???
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trump-administration-rolls-back-acas-birth-control-coverage-mandate-160019252.html
  • In another bit of irony, had this happened a few years earlier, we wouldn't have had the even broader Burwell v. Hobby Lobby ruling to deal with:
    The ruling set a new precedent. For the first time, the Court allowed “the commercial, profit-making world” to deny people access to basic health care like birth control because of religious beliefs. (In the past, said Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in her dissent, the Court only allowed such exemptions to individual people, not to businesses.) Ginsburg noted that the ruling opened the door to the denial of other kinds of health care as well as employees’ other rights, based on their bosses’ beliefs — something that’s already playing out.
    https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/issues/birth-control/burwell-v-hobby-lobby
  • Makes me nauseous. I can't fart loud enough to express what I think about these comfortable slimeballs who take steps to prevent others from getting anything.