Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Equifax Says Cyberattack May Have Affected 143 Million Customers

13»

Comments

• edited September 2017
    Old_Joe said:

I'm afraid that I still don't understand the concept of being required to pay someone else to prevent harm being done to me. This differs from mafia "protection" exactly how?

Right on --- OJ.

When I was younger this same crowd, while no more principled, did appear to operate with a touch more class. Pandering for 10-bucks a throw by offering to freeze folks' credit records? After releasing their data? Really? Would have been beneath the dignity of Victor Corleone.

• question - anyone going to jail?
    answer - of course not.
  • edited September 2017
    @VintageFreak- The new Republican tax-cut proposal specifically exempts anyone with an income over $10m from jail. (Note that I didn't say "anyone earning an income")
  • So, I signed up for their free offer. But it's only free for a year? Will they automatically try to make me PAY for the credit "protection" after that? The latest stuff I've just read makes me think that Equifax has scammed me, and millions of others. The Maryland Atty. Gen. is already "on their case."
  • "The latest stuff I've just read makes me think that Equifax has scammed me, and millions of others."

Nah- Equifax is a highly principled consumer-oriented organization whose overriding interest is the public good. Just look at their track record- damn near as good as Wells Fargo! Equifax stock is down 30%- another steal for Warren Buffett!
  • Crash said:

So, I signed up for their free offer. But it's only free for a year? Will they automatically try to make me PAY for the credit "protection" after that? The latest stuff I've just read makes me think that Equifax has scammed me, and millions of others. The Maryland Atty. Gen. is already "on their case."

Well, you gave up right to sue too right? And yes after 1 year they will charge you whatever you like unless you cancel. Basically useless if you ask me.

My princess looking for an apartment. Her credit history will need to be pulled. Mine will also have to be since I will have to co-sign. If I put credit freeze on our credit, then no apartment.

Basically Equifax wins either way. This is a win-win for them. No fines, and stock will actually go up once wall street discovers they really have no liability or they "have it under control since 100M already signed up for free credit protection which means they can't sue".

If government wants to do anything they would shut down equifax. We still have TransUnion and Experian. Send them a sign. Who needs 3 when 2 can do the job?

Right now I'm like deer caught in headlights. Inaction. Feel as incompetent as I did in year 2000. That didn't work out very well. I hope this one turns out better.