Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• @ Crash: Why ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • It's just news. The two of them resisted this in years prior. And I came across it while looking for airfares. Wife and I are invited to a wedding in Philippines between Christmas and New Years. Wifey flew from Boston to Cebu (just home, last week) and back on Emirates for under $1,000.00. Real bargain. But I can't find anything, whether from Boston or Hartford (closer) for under $1,600.00 in December. Crappy stinky.
  • "Crash" is most appropriate.
  • hee hee hee.
  • Likely that fares will increase or stay high as result of this agreement. We have a daughter in Seoul to visit. Delta has non-stop service from Detroit, but it's around $1600, just as @Crash notes. That's probably for a 32" seat...
  • edited July 2017
    BenWP said:

Likely that fares will increase or stay high as result of this agreement. We have a daughter in Seoul to visit. Delta has non-stop service from Detroit, but it's around $1600, just as @Crash notes. That's probably for a 32" seat...

Less adventurous than Ben and Crash. Looking at visiting the U.K. again in the fall. Found I can save about 50% taking Air Canada out of YAM (Sault St Marie Ontario) a few hours north of us and connecting through Toronto. Air Canada flies from Detroit Metro, but may not offer the same savings. About 200 miles if one were to drive from Detroit to Toronto. On American from Charlotte to London last year, I found the basic cabin seats somewhat larger than on their domestic routes.

Air Canada Introduces Non-stop Service From Toronto to Seoul South Korea (2015)
    https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=22103&item=137394

• edited July 2017
    .....And.... we just nailed down tix with a great fare, but out of JFK. We'll depend on friends there to collect us and get us from Port Authority bus terminal and out to the airport. Round-trip on Asiana, JFK-ICN-CEB is $870.00 each. Can't beat that with a stick. I am going to insist on traveling LIGHT. I suppose it's time to close this thread?
  • edited July 2017

With Asiana you'll be lucky to make it one-way, never mind a round trip.
  • edited July 2017
    @Old_Joe: Oh, dear. Should have booked with Quantas? They have a history of ZERO accidents. But Quantas doesn't fly where we want to go. In Asia, everyone reacts with an obligatory gasp when China Airlines is mentioned. But I flew on them from LAX. Not a hitch. The A380 has replaced the B-777 on our Asiana route. Terrible, that SFO crash. 2003? 2004?
  • @Crash- 2013. Of course the A380 has replaced the B777... they ran out of 777s. The problem's not with their planes- it's with their "pilots".

We just flew to France (via Air France) on an A380, and returned on a B777. Back in peasant class there's not much difference. Food was equally awful on both planes.
  • @Old_Joe: Ya, I can't wait to try that Korean plastic cuisine in Coach. But we will get complimentary slippers for the ride. ("Hey, it smells like FEET in here.") And since this thread is so totally off-topic, I will now share about today's catch: a 14-inch rainbow trout, on a night crawler. Final cast of the day. Wifey will gut him and grill him with spices, and EAT him. Pretty fish.:)
    http://fw.ky.gov/Fish/PublishingImages/RainbowTrout.jpg
  • edited July 2017
    Crash said:

("Hey, it smells like FEET in here.")

Hi @Crash - Particularity funny since I'm one of those who habitually slips off my shoes as soon as the flight is airborne. Thus far, no complaints from other passengers. (But, hey, my feet don't smell):)

Since I recently plugged Air Canada: "Close toThe Greatest Aviation Disaster in History" narrowly avoided at SF (Friday). https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/07/11/air-canada-flight-nearly-lands-on-taxiway-at-san-francisco-airport.html

Must be something "in the air" out there that breeds confusion of the brain.

Nice fish. It doesn't get any better.
  • edited July 2017
    @Old_Joe - No offence intended. You're a gentleman and a scholar Sir!
  • @hank...Occasionally, and hardly.