Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bombs Away !: U.S. Drops The Military's Largest Non-Nuclear Bomb In Afghanistan

TedTed
edited April 2017 in Off-Topic
FYI: Washington (AP) -- The Pentagon says U.S. forces in Afghanistan dropped the military's largest non-nuclear bomb on an Islamic State target in Afghanistan.

Adam Stump is a Pentagon spokesman. Stump says it was the first-ever combat use of the bomb, known as the GBU-43, which he said contains 11 tons of explosives. The Air Force calls it the Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb. Based on the acronym, it has been nicknamed the "Mother Of All Bombs."

Stump says the bomb was dropped on a cave complex believed to be used by IS fighters in the Achin district of Nangarhar province, very close to the border with Pakistan.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-13/pentagon-us-dropped-largest-non-nuclear-bomb-in-afghanistan

MOAB: "Mother Of All Bombs" (This bomb has been around since 2003, its about time we used it !)

Comments

• Unfortunately, polls show that a majority of Americans approve use of force and that they "enjoy" seeing our military use the big hardware. If you are a leader polling 37% approval, does it not make perverse sense to drop a couple of MOABs to "encourager les autres" (encourage others) as Voltaire put it in "Candide" wherein a British admiral is executed for failure to kill enough of the enemy. To "encourager les autres," indeed.
  • edited April 2017
    None of this takes place in a vacuum. Messages are being sent to N. Korea and Mr. Assad. N. Korea especially is literally a very large loose cannon, and we absolutely are going to have to do something to shut them down before they do something really, really stupid.

• I ran across this interesting tweet...

Binyamin Appelbaum‏Verified account @BCAppelbaum 4h4 hours ago
    More
    Trumpeting the size of the bomb, rather than the results (if there were any), is basically the way the government narrated the Vietnam War.
  • @OJ - I would add 45 to your short list of loose cannons and dumb f's
  • edited April 2017
    @Mark- Yeah, for sure. Quite possible for something really, really stupid there also.
  • edited April 2017
    Big bomb with tiny fingerprints.

Karzai accuses U.S. of using Afghanistan as testing ground for new more powerful weapons:
    https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/2017/04/13/karzai-afghans-should-stop-the-usa-after-country-used-as-moab-testing-ground/
  • Trump didn't know it was happening.
  • Add 44 to the list of people that did nothing.
  • Might be better to do nothing than to do something really, really stupid. I guess we'll just have to wait this one out and see.
  • The Moabites believed in human sacrifice and worshipped the god Chemosh, which the Bible refers to as the "abomination of Moab."
  • bartab said:

Add 44 to the list of people that did nothing.

Add 44 what? To what list?
  • Howdy folks,

Combination of the spring arms show for those in NKOR and Iran and Damascus and braggadocio on the part of 45 [my bomb's bigger than your bomb]. I still think 45's insecurity psychosis is due to being underendowed. No other reason to constantly have to prove how macho you are.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • I still think 45's insecurity psychosis is due to being under endowed.
    rono, I think that sums it up in a (little) nut shell:)
  • Put me down in the camp that will never, ever understand why the US stuck our noses in there. Such a waste, especially of our armed forces.