Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Will Trump's Executive Order Really Have An Impact on Coal?

edited March 2017 in Off-Topic
Interesting article on Seeking Alpha about coal stocks: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4059375-will-trumps-executive-order-really-impact-coal
The stocks are up 87% in the past year: performance.morningstar.com/funds/etf/total-returns.action?t=KOL&region=USA&culture=en_US
Some of these returns may be due to the impression Trump will help the industry, but also it may be a dead cat bounce. Much of the gain was before he was elected. But the thing that was evident to anyone looking closely at the industry is that it wasn't really environmental regulation holding it back as regulations hadn't been enforced. That's just a political bugbear to win votes. Cheaper natural gas is what's killing coal.

Comments

• @Lewis Ernie says, Yes !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Sixteen Tons: Ernie Ford:
  • Prior to Trump, coal (represented here by KOL) quietly gained about 150% in the last year (Since Jan 2016). Much of that gain happening prior to the election.

• Other Trum-pet projects (End Obama Clean Power Plan):
    Observers of the energy and utility sectors are united in their belief that the Trump administration won’t slow the trends toward electrification of transport and broader reliance on renewables, even if the president follows through on his declared intentions to pull out of the Paris climate accords and to alter fuel efficiency standards finalized in the last days of the Obama administration. “Trump doesn’t have unlimited flexibility to eliminate the federal program, and furthermore, California has its own,” says Roland Hwang, director of the energy and transportation program at the Natural Resources Defense Council. He maintains—despite the administration’s announcement that it will do the auto companies’ bidding and EPA administrator Scott Pruitt’s refusal at his confirmation hearing to guarantee the waiver allowing California to shape its own emissions policies—that “they are in for a long, rocky road to roll back clean car standards.”

As for energy storage, on March 28, Trump issued an executive order aimed at nullifying Obama’s Clean Power Plan, which has been boosting the sector. But undoing those pollution standards will require a process just as arduous as the one that created them. And it will face fervent opposition at every step, from public comments to the courts. Batteries offer flexibility to the grid at a competitive price, and the president can’t simply halt solar and wind development in favor of nonrenewable sources such as coal and natural gas—and he certainly can’t do so in China, where much of the shift is occurring.
    Article Source:
    https://bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-29/the-great-nevada-lithium-rush-to-fuel-the-new-economy
  • @Ted- About the time of your film clip Ernie worked out of KGO-TV, the local ABC TV station in SF, when I was in my 20's. I worked for the TV transmission section of Pacific Bell, on the midnight-to-8am maintenance shift, and would run in to him from time-to-time at KGO. He didn't know me from squat, but was always very friendly and easygoing- a real gentleman, and a genuine nice guy.
  • edited March 2017
    Coal extraction was automated long ago and moved west of the Mississippi --- no more human mines, just machines cutting the tops off mountains.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/opinion/coal-country-is-a-state-of-mind.html

http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CoalMiningFig5.png

WVa jobs are now mostly in, wait for it, healthcare.
  • Only makes sense @davidrmoran. That's where most of the sick and dying coal miners are.
  • Why didn't Trump make other promises to industries that have seen their day? Wouldn't someone benefit if we brought back the tanning industry? Iron miners are disappearing; why not mandate a high percentage of cast iron be used in our cars? I often watched the NCAA tourney on a cathode-ray TV; how about bringing those displaced workers back to their jobs and let the rest of us enjoy retro TV watching?
  • edited April 2017
    Trump announced that as soon as he's done bringing coal jobs back, he plans to get Fotomat workers back to developing film.

Buggywhips Amalgomated is awaiting further word.
  • Trump announced that as soon as he's done bringing coal jobs back, he plans to get Fotomat workers back to developing film.
    Oh @PRESSmUP the yellow box memories. I helped make the film coating machines run efficiently for almost 40 years. Good memories.
  • I spent many college afternoons in a darkroom Mike...yes, good memories indeed.