Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BX Gets The Barron's Bounce

TedTed
edited March 2017 in Fund Discussions
FYI The below linked article, (Click Article At Top Of Google Search) was featured in this Week's Barron.s. As often
happens BX is up over 4% today. The Linkster has a position in BX and KKR

Blackstone Group ’s complex operating structure seems almost designed to turn ordinary investors away from its shares—technically, its units. They recently fetched $28.94, down from an initial offering price of $31 nearly 10 years ago. Yet the alternative-asset manager’s cash distributions could soon grow too large to ignore. Wall Street predicts a yield of more than 8% this year, based on a combination of steady, predictable management fees and lumpier performance fees that Blackstone earns when it exits profitable investments. Earnings used to fund those distributions could double in five years, judging by the pace at which Blackstone has been raising new cash and putting it to work.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Blackstone+Units+Have+40%+Upside+and+Yield+More+Than+8%+Barron's&*

BX Real Time Quote:
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/bx

Comments

• @Ted: Do you do your own tax returns or do you let someone else deal with those K-1s? FWIIW, I'm DIY.
  • @BenWP: No, my accountant takes care of that. The K-1's usually arrive late, which requires an amended return be filed. It's really no big deal.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • If you use turbotax the program walks you through the K-1 real easy.
  • I agree with @Mark that TurboTax takes care of the problem. I too did not like the late arrival of the K-1s. I avoid investments that generate K-1s because of an inheritance from my wife's family that has taken more than five years to settle, partially because my father-in-law died suddenly leaving MLPs and other tax-avoidance strategies for which no one knew the bases. If he were to know what the family paid the green eye shades and lawyers his repose would surely be disturbed and he might see the downside of pursuing an aggressive anti-tax agenda. (Sorry if I wandered into politics…)