Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

couthy moderation

Dear friends,

Thanks for your many thoughtful notes on the other moderation thread. They help.

One of the oddities of web-based discussions is that it's easy to fall under the illusion that what you see is all there is; that is, that the board is a sort of neighborhood watering hole with a dozen regulars cozying up to the bar. And it is that. But it's not only that. Today (3/4/2017) alone, there are nearly 100 folks who've signed in, many of whom rarely if ever post. (Hi, guys! Welcome to you all!). About 700 unregistered folks also came by.

I'm not concerned so much with whether any particular person posts; I'm mostly concerned that they feel welcome and respected. And that, in return, they welcome and respect other folks. With pretty regular use of the "flag as offensive" button and some private communications from readers suggesting they'd hesitate to post, I thought it was a good time to raise the question. (And to remind folks why I thought I should raise the question.)

For now, couthy moderation will remain the norm, in full faith that you each deserve a place on Islay.
Where are the folks like the folks of the west?
Canty and couthy and kindly, our best.
There I would hie me and there I would rest
At home with my own folks in Islay.
In related news, I would rather prefer that each member of the community maintain just one identity, at least at a time. As we've been poking around in the database, it appears that one member of the community has posted under two main identities (one appearing after the other was placed in the moderation queue) and then seems to have created two other identities to offer "grassroots support" for their opinions. We'll disable the secondary identities and share a note of concern with the primary.

In unrelated news, I've been thinking about unpaired words. That is, the existence of a word that implies a counter-balancing word really should exist. If there's "uncouth," why isn't there "couth" (other than in comic routines, the same place we got "gruntled" in the 1930s)? The thing I think I've noticed that is it's mostly the negative words that survive (feckless, reckless, ruthless). Perhaps it's a profoundly optimistic sign; that kindly, caring, civil behavior is so common that it doesn't require comment, only the rare and regrettable opposites demand a special vocabulary?

Hmmm.

David

Comments

• Thanks for these thoughts, David. I would like to underscore what I originally heard to be a call for civility and it was a timely call. Other than to praise or thank an individual poster, I think it wise to not direct any comment on the board towards one individual. As I see it, a targeted comment does nothing to enhance the experience of the others who may read it and it does nothing to improve the sense of community that all of us wish to preserve.
  • edited March 2017
    "it appears that one member of the community has posted under two main identities (one appearing after the other was placed in the moderation queue) and then seems to have created two other identities to offer "grassroots support" for their opinions."

Well, we pretty well had Dex, DH, and SW figured, but evidently there was yet another "mole". This is getting exciting!

Add: Almost forgot MK also, but that one was so obvious.
  • Three primary identities and three supporting identities, all now inactive. (sigh)
  • @David_Snowball- Nice work, David. Multiple identities used to be a firing-squad offense at FundAlarm, as you'll recall. How pathetic that someone needs to resort to "clones" to simulate a supportive audience.

Very pleased that we're to continue with ruthful moderation. Maurice and I had an interesting exchange a while back- he had commented to the effect that no one ever paid attention to the opposing viewpoints in contentious discussions. I asked him how he could be certain that his opinions had not in fact influenced my perspective to some extent.

He then graciously excluded me from his remark, but I would like to think that many of us tend to soften or moderate our positions when we are presented with cogent argumentation from an opposing viewpoint.

Thanks again for all that you do here-

Take care- OJ
  • I suppose I've already seen this in action. Last night I posted about my experience with Logan (the comic book movie). It has been removed. Perhaps on the surface, it has no business here, but I disagree. 20th Century Fox has two 'R' rated movies within a space typically reserved for PG-13. Why is this important? These movies have typically been written for kids and were designed to take in as much box office as possible.

20th Century Fox seems to have sought to redefine the genre or the way they're looking at the genre.

Why is this important? 20th Century Fox has turned into a serious player in the space. Both films were highly successful and were not mere copycats of the other. You had the over the top vulgarity of Deadpool and the extremely serious Logan. You easily could've have ignored the 'Wolverine' aspect of the film and enjoyed it as a tragic drama.

This doesn't complete an investment thesis, but would've been an interesting discussion. In my opinion.

• Well, we pretty well had Dex, DH, and SW figured, but evidently there was yet another "mole". This is getting exciting!
    You are more observant then me Joe. I didn't get the Sandra and MaryKay aliases. They did seem obnoxious, but I figured they needed space to offer their opinions. So basically, most if not all these escalated disagreements were instigated by one person. Well the good news for Dex, he does seem to have a lot of friends, so be them imaginary. Weird...
  • @BrianW- Yes, I think that it would have. Did you by any chance include a short comment on why you were introducing the post?
  • @Old_Joe: I did not. I assumed that since I was posting here and not on IMDB that my investment interest was obvious. I could've gone further into how it is one of the top Yacktman holdings, but I did not. I won't assume going forward.
  • Hi, Brian.

You hit upon the problem: the post, as written, didn't even hint at issues relevant to the board. Given our recent scuffles, I spiked it. You're welcome to reintroduce it with the request to help folks understand why it's coming up.

Cheers,

David
  • @David_Snowball: thanks for the feedback. I will adjust going forward.