Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best and Worst Funds Discovered Here At MFO

2»

Comments

• Maurice notes that RYPHX "did tank for a bit but has come back." The fund's maximum drawdown was 0.6%, and amount it took seven months to recoup. In the normal course of things, a drop of 0.2-0.3% would qualify as a bear market for it. It returns about 3.0% annually, the combination of which continues to give it the highest Sharpe ratio of any fund.
  • Best: SFGIX, FMIJX and DSENX. Worst: RSIVX.
  • Best - Brkb and qqqq
  • Best: RPHYX/RPHIX - I annually funded it for 2 years worth of monthly withdrawals as our retirement 'paycheck'.
    Mixed Bag: RSIVX/RSIIX - On the taxable side, I did a little tax loss harvesting and then reinvested once Mr Sherman got the train back on the track. On the IRA side, it's been an interesting ride, but in the long run, it has been an overall gainer. ( I tend to be a buy & hold traditionalist )
    Worst: The RiverPark Focused Value Fund RFVIX/RFVFX

Speaking of which: Whatever happened to the occasional Conference Call invitations? I haven't seen any for awhile...
  • Hi, Dave.

We could talk about doing the calls again. The basic criteria were these: (1) I had to have talked to someone who I thought was borderline amazing and (2) they had to agree to an inconveniently timed conversation with (eeee!) unscripted questions and (3) I needed to find three or four of them since I wanted to run the feature for 3-4 months so that we could build an audience.

That's been a bit challenging. Some smart folks but not verbal, some smart and verbal folks who weren't thrilled at the format.

David
  • @Dave I was tempted by RFVIX. It was a good conference call and they were offering a lower er if you bought in early. But I didn't pull the trigger. I did buy MCD and Nestle as individual stocks partly on his recommendations, which turned out well.
  • Best, and still held: PRWCX, MAPOX, PREMX.
  • i own riverpark funds in my IRA. The funds I don't own are the Mitch Rubin funds. You can see clearly how HE is the problem. He should let others manage funds.