Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best and Worst Funds Discovered Here At MFO

edited February 2017 in Fund Discussions
So many mutual fund ideas have past through this web-site and it's predecessor FundAlarm since I started visiting 11+ years ago. Some ended up being stinkers, but others have ended up being staples in my portfolio. With that, I was wondering what fund ideas were found here by others here at MFO/FundAlarm that were either bad buys or those that were great. These come quickly to mind for me:

The 3 best for me have been: (in no particular order):
PRWCX, SFGIX, and PONDX (DSENX is quickly finding it's way up the list, just haven't owned it as long).

3 stinkers I wish I didn't gamble on:
USAGX, ARIVX, WASYX

Comments

• Are "SFIGX' and "ARIVX" typos?
  • SFGIX was. ARIVX was the Eric Cinnamond small value fund Aston/River Independent Value fund now liquidated.

• Do you mean PRWCX (TRowe's great fund) versus PWRCX? The latter is a high-priced fund of funds and looks like a stinker to me...but the former, I own and agree is a great one.
  • edited March 2017
    EXTAX (Manning & Napier Tax Managed) was first suggested by board members and also favorably mentioned by Professor Snowball perhaps 8-9 years ago. Did very well with it averaging in over a 3-year period. Eventually sold when it no longer met my needs. Been meaning to say "Thank You" to David and the board members for that one. (Apparently that fund no longer exists).

Good thread @MikeM
  • Best: Vanguard Global Minimum Volatility, VMVFX and FMI International, FMIJX.

Worst: Found plenty on my own and switched to index funds instead.
  • Best: GLRBX, FPACX, BBALX,OAKBX

Worst: IVFIX
  • Best: FMIJX

Worst: ARTWX
    DisHonorable mention: RWGFX (still own it though, been eyeing swapping it back for an index or DSENX)
  • TedTed
    edited February 2017
    Best PFF, PRHSX, QQQ
    Worst: AOD
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2017
    @MikeM - Did you mean PWRCX (Power Income Class C) or PRWCX (T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation)?

Oops @rforno beat me to this observation. I think we can safely assume Mike meant PRWCX Capital Appreciation. Own and agree it's a great fund from a fine family. Probably "overbought" at this time - if the term may be applied to a fund.
  • hank said:

EXTAX (Manning & Napier Tax Managed) was first suggested by board members and also favorably mentioned by Professor Snowball perhaps 8-9 years ago. ... (Apparently that fund no longer exists).

If it got your attention just 8-9 years ago, you may have wondered about the ticker. Manning & Napier funds were called Exeter funds until Sept. 26, 2006.

EXTAX was just (this month) liquidated. From the prospectus supplement:
    The Board of Directors of the Manning & Napier Fund, Inc. (the “Fund”) has voted to terminate the offering of shares of the Tax Managed Series (the “Series”) ... Accordingly, ...The Series will redeem all of its outstanding shares on or about February 1, 2017
    (I'm confident Shadow posted this at the time; now it was just easier to fetch the filing directly.)
  • Even though I already knew about them I gained a lot of knowledge and confidence about Grandeur Peak from Dr. Snowball's commentaries. MSCFX has been a big positive and @Ted mentioned SBIO, which I've traded successfully but it would have been tough if I had simply bought and held. I can't say there's been anything that I regretted buying after discovering it here so kudos to everyone for valuable input but there's certainly a quite a few that I didn't buy and would have done well if I had.
  • edited February 2017
    Ha!

Good thread.

Hmmm ... worst (and definitely my bad):

Whitebox Funds ... WBMIX

Burns me to this day that they closed-up shop after what ... three years.

Cowards!

c
  • Sorry, yes of course, I meant PRWCX.
  • Don't have a best but one of the worst was Utopia Funds, 4 in total.
  • edited February 2017
    DSEEX / DSENX

All the other ones I read about before FA (GLRBX etc.) but it was nice to have confirmed.
  • Thanks for DSENX & QLEIX.
  • The same for me re DSENX & QLEIX.
  • Best- rphyx/rphix, prsnx, rncox,pondx,vmnvx
    Worst- rsivx. purchased just before it flailed and it ended up being tax harvested. repurchased recently.
  • Best are FMIMX, RSIVX, MSCFX

Worst is EXTAX
  • ARIVX did what it said it did. I wish it was open. I wish other people saw sense and kept their assets in the fund, then it wouldn't have to close. If you want market returns invest in index fund.
  • ARIVX wasn't closed due to lack of assets. Eric C. decided it was in the best interests of all to close the fund as he could not find attractive investments and didn't want to charge an ER just for holding cash.

I wonder if they could have handled it differently. Could they have changed the E.R. to 0.1% when the cash exceeded 66%? Just thinking out loud.
  • It appears from what I was able to read, like his blog, that Mr. Cinnamond is not working for Aston/River Road anymore. Aston was integrated into AMG last fall and it may be that he wasn't interested in doing other things once his fund was closed. I even wonder whether part of the closure was based on the merger with AMG.

I had never seen his blog before but it seems light while still relevant so fans of his might be interested if they didn't know about it...

ericcinnamond.com/
  • Best: DSENX, SFGIX, Grandeur Peak, RPHYX
    Disappointments: SEEDX, RWGFX, FOBAX, RSIVX
  • I have RWGFX and RSIVX in IRA. SEEDX I never did sell, and sold SCMFX itself. Now that I remember, SCMFX was my biggest blunder.
  • Best and Worst sometimes has a lot to do with timing...when you buy a fund. For example, WASYX had a fantastic run until it ran into problems with asset bloat and big management changes. Those folks who owned it from 2007- 2013 and sold it for whatever reason probably loved it. Even with some stinker years, especially the last 3+ years, its 15-yr average return is about 8%. But this is why WHO runs an actively-managed fund is so critical, as is asset bloat and the problems it might cause.

Investors often are late to the party with funds, getting if after the big gains. Once the fund gains large numbers of assets, it may be unable to continue using its unique strategy. Certainly MFLDX is a good example of this. Spectacular numbers from inception 2008 through much of 2013 (assets ballooned from $35 million to almost $16 billion), then running of the tracks and crashing, not recovering even as assets dropped to $370 million. Here there was no management change. In hindsight, the small fund's purchase by a large fund company was likely a big mistake.

I would urge caution about labeling relatively new funds "Best". "Best" can mean different things to different investors. While I personally own SIGIX because of its manager's track record, the fund is barely 5 years old. I own it because I believe it is a good compliment to a higher-volatility index like SCHE. It may not have the best long-term total return numbers, but I am ok with that.
  • edited February 2017
    @BobC. Totally agree. When you buy triumphs what you buy 9/10. However, with SCMFX I'm much to blame to let myself be influenced.

The real problem is who buys a 1* fund? Everyone wants to by 5* funds. I think the *s influence people in a way simply "top performing fund" wouldn't. I can guarantee most of the people looking at M* and at fund companies touting the star rating received from M*, take this to mean more than just a performance based rating when it is really just that.

Finally it is hard to know when someone was lucky or just good or both or neither. MFLDX started in 2008. Perfect timing for a L/S fund. I'm glad I sold because it stopped being NTF at Scottrade.
  • Hmmm ... I've been writing about individual funds, between FA and here, for just about 11 years. There are two profiles, both from FundAlarm days, the thought of which still makes me queasy. By worst the worst were the Utopia Funds, launched by a small advisor in Michigan. They had go-anywhere portfolios with remarkably low minimum initial investments and reasonable expenses. Five funds, ranked from "Income" to "Aggressive." They were based on a really successful set of separate accounts that thrived because they were small; they picked up bits and pieces of "orphan" investments that larger advisors found too small to be worth the effort. Those ranged from regional micro-cap stocks to called bonds. In practice, the funds started okay then sank into the average-to-bad range. Not "awful," but clearly "bad" when judged by their ability to maintain the targeted risk level. Then, without warning, they closed and liquidated. When I tried to contact them to ask about the decision, I got silence in return.

That was useful to me and, arguably, profitable to you because I stewed a lot about what contributed to the mistake. Part of the lack of a mutual fund record, as opposed to an SMA record and part was that the two managers executing the fund strategies were only assistants on the SMA strategy. Both of those conclusions helped me tighten the criteria for funds I've written about. That played out in the case of Auer Growth (AUERX), where the senior Mr. Auer managed his retirement account to something like a 10:1 advantage over the broad market over some ridiculously long time; the junior Mr. Auer talked him into launching the strategy as a fund. I was, I hope, clearly skeptical about it. A one-star fund with bottom 2% performance followed.

The only queasy interval was Nakoma Absolute Return, which was managed by one of the guys at the U of Wisconsin's famous securities analysis program. These guys cranked out a string of first-tier managers and ran a very successful long-short hedge fund which they eventually offered to the public as a mutual fund. I 'fesseup to the problem with the fund a long time ago (07/11) in a discussion started by Vintage Freak:
    The general problem is that Mr. Pickett has been skeptical about the US market for much of the decade, has maintained about as many short as long positions (bad idea in a rising market) and has been repeatedly wrong in security selection. None of which I would have predicted. Indeed, none of which I did predict.
    I've become more cautious about hedge fund conversions as a result; my experience is that those often end up as being okay funds but mostly shadows of their former selves. Why? Rekenthaler made a good argument this month: hedge fund conversions are cherry-picked and we don't know anything about the rest of the crop. A hedge fund manager might have 10 funds, nine of which smell like the beach at low tide and one of which has had (maybe, "has lucked into") eye-popping results. The existence of the nine dogs doesn't have to be disclosed so we falsely assume that the one winner is representative of the managers' skills. While that's not always the case - that is, some hedge fund conversions produce reputable mutual funds - it's something that we need to approach with skepticism.

--

I'm mostly able to sleep at night when I consider the other funds we're written about. Mostly. Some have been spectacular successes, which is nice, but I draw more comfort from the fact that most of the managers (including Mr. Cinnamond) have invested heavily in their funds and have done precisely what they said they were going to do. That is, they were disciplined and true to that discipline. Mr. Barbee (AVALX) told you he was going to stay fully invested, at all times, in the tiniest and cheapest stocks in existence. It's been clear from Day One that that's a rocket-and-crash discipline. The fund made a mint during the 2000-02 bear, dipped by 65% in the 2007-09 one, and is beating the competition by over 300 bps since. Its cumulative (i.e. compounded) advantage since launch is huge. That said, I'd never invest in it since I much prefer not to have my long-term returns punctuated by apocalypse. But I'm perfectly comfortable with what we wrote about it.

For what that's worth,

David

• edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I certainly haven't been thrilled by WAFMX.
  • @Prof Snowball.

I also owned Utopia Funds. I do recall receiving communication from them. It said something like Dodd Frank + state regulations in the state of Michigan made it quite impossible for them to operate as a low cost shop and remain viable as a business. They cited hardships in general for smaller financial firms in general. There may have been more specifics I don't recall.