Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Graphical Display of Info on MFO Board

Several times, in the past several months. I have wanted to compose a post, or wanted to make a pointed comment to another's post, for which graphical info was either required or would be more supportive of the point I wanted to make. I tried any number of procedures and failed, so I stated nothing, since it would have seemed I was armchair musing or simply speculating without the graphical visualization.

1) @bee You seem to have it down. What database(s) do you use, and how do you bring it onto the Board? (And how to you add further your own arrows and color bars to what you produce? very effective)
2) @chip You've probably tried this and that. What do you recommend? Are the graphics generated on some sites more easily assimilated/accommodated by the Board's interface with the outside world, so to speak?
3) anyone have suggestions on what not to use, and things that are a pain in the rump to try? Not very good as a wrestler, but I'm educable (although my mind could be deceiving me on that point).

Perhaps we could form a Best Practices for these procedures, and @Old_Joe could add them to his very fine operational manual, in the MFO Resources section, on using the MFO posting tools?

Comments

• beebee
    edited November 2015
    @heezesafe,

First, I kinda wished that the Met's first basemen had made a better throw to the plate in the ninth inning last night. If he had, well, "heezeout"!

Getting back to your question...

The displays I generate and embed into a MFO thread are captured and edited (with arrows, text, etc.) using a video capture tool called Jing. Back in July of 2014 I submitted this discussion which should still be accurate and might be a good place to start, especially the tutorials.

mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/14459/a-ping-for-jing#latest
  • beebee
    edited November 2015
    Not used much here by users, but a very cool feature of Jing are active screen videos (with audio). Sorry if my talents are quite ready for prime time, but humor me. I believe this was submitted to a thread back in August of 2015.

Video Comments on Price Trends of SGGDX
  • Thanks for your complement re the User Guide, but it was actually designed to cover the previous iteration of the MFO format, and is really in need of major revision. You must be at least the third or fourth person who has actually read that thing! With respect to posting graphics, the basic procedure is to insert a link into your post which will connect to a graphic which is posted elsewhere on the internet. If you need help on that, let me know.

Sometimes there's a graphic which due to the formatting used cannot be linked. A workaround for that is to take a screenshot of that graphic, and post it to Jing (see bee, above) or a similar utility. You can also use that technique to take a screenshot of any graphic or chart which you develop yourself on your own computer.

As to the incredible graphics which Charles posts on his side of things, that's well beyond my pay grade, I'm afraid.
  • Doing ANALysis again, eh?:P

1) Use Windows
    2) Snipping Tool
    3) Free Image Hosting, e.g. postimage.org

That's what I do when I need too. What else do we need?
  • @heezesafe- Just to clarify, VF's "free image hosting" would be a site such as postimage.org, which he cites, or Jing, as bee mentioned above. There's a fair number of these free image hosting sites out there.
  • OK, guys, I got it, I understand how it works now. Tortoise and hare thing--- I'll get there. Time to do the homework; back in a couple of days with something you can grade... it won't be an audiovisual extravaganza, @bee (although I'd bet you had a blast putting that one together).

@VintageFreak Of course I'm still doing it (like you aren't?). You know very well the moment you let it go for any length of time is the moment before the moment when YOU "get ANALyzed," if ya know what I mean. I like to avoid as many of those surprises as possible (I'd have said "accidents," but that might still be a tender subject for you; still having to do those range-of-motion exercises for the fracture, or has it become a distant memory?).