Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Worst year since 2008?

I am up 4.42% YTD and on track for my worst year since 2008. Not sure that is isolated to me or others are also struggling. I take no solace in the fact my return is higher than many of the market indexes as my goal is to consistently compound my capital and not to shadow or beat any particular market index. I haven't a clue how the rest of the year will unfold. I think China is simply an excuse for an already overall sick market. But as we have seen, at least since 2008, rallies seem to come when the markets have looked the sickest. At my age and financial situation I am in no mood for any drawdown in my total nest egg - even a 1.5% or 2% decline. Then again I was never in the mood for any drawdown, young or old. So all I hold (for the moment) are three very small equity positions in small cap biotech and a bank loan fund. Junk corporates have performed especially poorly lately in part because of the decline in oil prices. On the other hand, junk munis are suddenly looking inviting again.

Comments

• Are you saying you have the rest of it in cash? If so, do you have a plan for it going forward?
  • >> At my age and financial situation I am in no mood for any drawdown in my total nest egg - even a 1.5% or 2% decline.

How do you invest meaningfully at all?

Or did you, given your next sentence.
  • My plan as always is to take what the market gives and can ramp up quickly if necessary. It hasn't been very giving lately so hence the cash. Yes, I know conventional wisdom says you can't time the market and I couldn't agree more. But I look at timing as an attempt to pick tops and bottoms - virtually impossible especially tops - and money management as two entirely different mindsets. To me money management is not sitting in losing positions and watching my capital erode.
  • Junkster said:

I am up 4.42% YTD and on track for my worst year since 2008. Not sure that is isolated to me or others are also struggling. I take no solace in the fact my return is higher than many of the market indexes as my goal is to consistently compound my capital and not to shadow or beat any particular market index. I haven't a clue how the rest of the year will unfold. I think China is simply an excuse for an already overall sick market. But as we have seen, at least since 2008, rallies seem to come when the markets have looked the sickest. At my age and financial situation I am in no mood for any drawdown in my total nest egg - even a 1.5% or 2% decline. Then again I was never in the mood for any drawdown, young or old. So all I hold (for the moment) are three very small equity positions in small cap biotech and a bank loan fund. Junk corporates have performed especially poorly lately in part because of the decline in oil prices. On the other hand, junk munis are suddenly looking inviting again.

Congratulations ! You are doing very well given the current environment. I'm up about 1.5% YTD and that's a fairly conservative portfolio. For junk munis, I do own PRFHX. I also hold ZEOIX which is holding up nicely. My other bond funds are a mixed bag with most hovering around the flatline for YTD.
  • Junkster: Are you saying your total portfolio is up 4.42% or just the equity side ? If it's your total port, my hats of to you !!
    Derf
  • edited July 2015
    @junkster:

Worst since '08? It may turn out to be. Still 5 months to go. But it's certainly a strange year. My best year since '08 was +29% in '09. The subsequent worst was +1.2% in '11. Currently, I'm off -1.5% YTD.

I've always kept a foot in the Dollar sensitive areas like commodities, NR, international bonds and foreign currencies. Those are dragging me down this year.

As a benchmark of sorts, I use Price's Balanced Retirement Fund, TRRIX, (formerly Retirement Income). It's a well-mannered well managed fund (generally 40/60) which I think suitable for someone a decade or so into retirement. It's also having a lackluster year, up just 1% YTD.

• edited July 2015
    Hi @Junkster

Not unlike any investor, I/we don't like to give back any money.

Had a decent YTD as of last Saturday. That value is taking a bit of a beating since last Friday. But, money (rates/bonds) is still very cheap for borrowing and I feel some equity areas will still be the areas into which the money will continue to run. We don't have any direct exposure, at this time; to Asia area. China.....well, not sure how to gauge that market; as how does one know what is real and what is government support? A whole different form of government QE! So, with fingers crossed; we will remain with the following for today.......

Pretty much a full rotation from 3 years ago for percentages for our portfolio. Broad U.S. equity is so-so, eh?; U.S. real estate is improving, but rough YTD and bonds mostly flat YTD. The support for our portfolio currently, has been from healthcare and Europe.

Below is our current mix.
    ---68% equity
    ---22% bonds

Of the equity mix: 42% is health related equity, 25% is blend caps U.S., 20% international and 13% U.S. real estate.

Equity funds:

HEDJ (Wisdomtree hedged Europe, a lot GB, Germany, France and a bet on a continued weakening Euro and improving economies)
    FHLC (Fid. health etf)
    FSPHX (Fid. select health)
    PRHSX (TR Price health)
    VIIIX (Vanguard Total U.S. index)
    ITOT (I-shares, U.S. market)
    GPROX (Granduer Peak)
    DPRRX (U.S. real estate)
    BRUIX (U.S. real estate)
    FRIFX (U.S. real estate...50/50 equity bonds)

Bond funds:
    BAGIX (investment grade mostly, similar to Pimco PTTRX)
    DGCIX (Delaware bond, mixed)
    FBNDX (Fid. I.G. bonds)

Stocks:
    DPLO (IPO purchase last October) 30 year old private speciality pharmacy. I/we were very much aware of the quality of management.
    ABC (AmerisourceBergen-pharma/medical items distribution, now veterinary, too,etc.)

Reporting from the end of a half sawn investment tree branch and hoping for no big winds to rock the tree.

Catch
  • edited July 2015
    Nice going Junkster ... and, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I can see where Junkster is up 4.4% as claimed because he has booked profit from most of the positions he opened. One of the things that has helped me better my boggy, the Lipper Balaned Index, has been my special investment position (SPIFF) that I opened this past fall and held through late spring with its gains now booked has provided enough profit to push me ahead of it.

A few good spiffs, from time-to-time, can make your returns real healthy.
  • Did you answer this? I missed it.

>> I am in no mood for ... even a 1.5% or 2% decline.

So how do you equity-invest at all if you do not ever want to see a 1.5% decline ?
  • edited July 2015

Did you answer this? I missed it.

>> I am in no mood for ... even a 1.5% or 2% decline.

So how do you equity-invest at all if you do not ever want to see a 1.5% decline ?

That's a 1.5% to 2% decline in my total account balance. So I keep no more than 5% to 10% of overall capital in equities. I am primarily a bond fund trader and there you can control your drawdown much more than individual equities.
  • oh. missed that; sorry. 90% or more bond trader. got it.
  • oh. missed that; sorry. 90% or more bond trader. got it.

Junkster is more of a trader and less of an investor, fyi

• If a portfolio is up more than 4% ytd, I'd say that is quite good. The S&P is up 2.4%, the Dow is up 0,74%, EAFE is up 5.9%, emerging markets are down 5.9%, commodities are down anywhere from 11-25%. We suggested to clients a 5% return for a 'world-allocated' portfolio. That might be darned good by comparison to many markets by year end for an un-traded account.
  • edited July 2015
    Bob mentions "world-allocated portfolio" in his above post ... Curious, I located a definition:

"World-allocation portfolios seek to provide both capital appreciation and income by investing in three major areas: stocks, bonds, and cash. While these portfolios do explore the whole world, most of them focus on the U.S., Canada, Japan, and the larger markets in Europe. It is rare for such portfolios to invest more than 10% of their assets in emerging markets. These portfolios typically have at least 10% of assets in bonds, less than 70% of assets in stocks, and at least 40% of assets in non-U.S. stocks or bonds." http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/world-allocation

RPGAX (which I own) seems to conform pretty closely to that definition. it's up 3.36% YTD. That would put it in the 5-6% bracket for a full year - if the trend continues.
    -
    Yikes. Hadn't realized EM's were bleeding so badly. Thanks Bob for the insights.
  • edited July 2015
    Out of curiosity I checked my portfolio ytd, currently up 7.01% Now if that's skill or luck? Anyone's guess. Last year I lagged my benchmark by about 2 percent. Much of the lag then and a bit of the outperformance now are from ARTWX, which was heavy towards EM.
  • edited July 2015
    Re: "Now if that's skill or luck?"

I always attribute my good years to skill and my off years to bad luck.:)
    If you trade a lot, skill has much to do with returns. Kudos to those who do it successfully.

If you are more of a passive allocation type investor, much of your year-to-year success depends on the whims of the various markets, and to some extent, the skill of the managers you have hired to manage that allocation. For example, your bond fund manager may have a premonition of impending doom and position the fund on the short side. That won't eliminate losses completely, but will provide superior returns to a manager who kept maturities long.

Just my 2 cents.

• Skill or luck? Good results are attributable to my skill. Bad results are attributable to my associate's luck. Some funds that M* says are 'World Allocation' include MALOX (always love that ticker), IVAEX, RPGAX, TIBIX, APPLX, GBMFX and TZINX. These are all VERY different. This is one category that seems to be a catch-all for those funds M* doesn't know what to do with them. U.S. equity is anywhere from 19% to almost 50%. Bonds from 4% to 36%. Non-U.S. equity from 22% to 52%. YTD returns all over the place too, from -2.5% to +4.6%. Some are holding sizeable cash, others almost none. Some have specific mandates, others no restrictions. A case could be made to add others to this list, like FPACX and WHGIX. The take-away might be that "world allocation" can be a lot of things.