Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nothing Can Stop Us Now

FYI: What do you do after gaining 5% in just two weeks? Hit a record high.

The S&P 500 rose 0.6% to 2,110.30 this week, a new record high, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.7% to 18,140.44, also a record high. The Nasdaq Composite jumped 1.3% to 4,955.97, and is now just 1.8% away from its record high hit back in March 2000.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2015/02/20/nothing-can-stop-us-now-record-closes-for-dow-sp-500-as-nasdaq-edges-closer-to-dot-com-highs/tab/print/

Comments

• A response to a "Are we in a stock market bubble?" question from 1 year ago:

"The stock market is not in a bubble. Today is no different than 20% of the time in the entire history of the stock market. This rally is normal.

What we have is a debt bubble. The rising debt is the stimulus funding the rally on Wall Street. QE1, QE2, QE3, Operation Twist, bailouts, handouts, and now $85 billion injected into the system every month. Hmm, I wonder if there is a coincidence between enormous debt creation and 43 new highs in the Dow this year?

No, the stock market is not in a bubble. It is reacting normally to new injections of cash and buyers. The debt bubble, however, is a different matter. These things end badly, historically. Eventually, somebody has to pay the Piper."

reference:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A86.JySc1.dU1RkAEoEnnIlQ?qid=20131130115932AAATw2e
  • Dex
    edited February 2015
  • Bee,
    Why are you posting something a year old --- did you look at your link? am I missing something? --- and which was not true then and less so now? Whose debt bubble? As a percentage of GDP? What? All too widespread, and wrong, way of thinking about these things.
  • edited February 2015
    Dow at 18,000 and climbing.

Where are they now? The skeptics at 10,000? The worrywarts at 12,000? The Naysayers at 15,000?

Obviously, the stock market has reached a new permantly high plateau.
  • beebee
    edited February 2015

Bee,
    Why are you posting something a year old --- did you look at your link? am I missing something? --- and which was not true then and less so now? Whose debt bubble? As a percentage of GDP? What? All too widespread, and wrong, way of thinking about these things.

You're a funny guy...or maybe just less informed.

For those interested in understanding the credit/debt cycle here's a (presentation by Ray Dalio) and here's to a beautiful deleveraging:

economicprinciples.org/
  • Jefferson Starship.
  • ted: did your portfolio gain 5% in two weeks or are you talking about the markets? if the former, congrats!
  • @linter: No, the 5% is from the article.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • bee said:

Bee,

You're a funny guy...or maybe just less informed.

Certainly not the former and most definitely the latter.

• Mona, you still around?, they missing me at Vanguard Advisers? Count the # of times they mention me....Any Good tips from my Man Dan the Vanguard Man? Not much here...
  • Tampabay said:

Mona, you still around?, they missing me at Vanguard Advisers? Count the # of times they mention me....Any Good tips from my Man Dan the Vanguard Man? Not much here...

TB,

Yup, we are all missing you.

When will you return?

Best Regards,

Mona