Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PERSONAL NOTE TO MUTUAL FUND OBSERVER FRIENDS

edited December 2011 in Off-Topic
This is a personal note to let all those here who have been so kind in helping me understand mutual fund investments over these last few years. I haven’t had the time to access this site for over 6+ weeks, and have missed it so much.

I also want to strongly recommend to those of you who have created living trusts for your children, even if it doesn’t require Probate, to include in your Living Trust an Estate Administrator who is not related to you to handle all the tasks and legal requirements needed to handle for the Estate upon your death.

My Mom died on November 11. My sister and I are co-trustees of the estate, but my sister has chosen not to become involved in helping with any of the hugely numerous estate administration duties. Even though Mom did a great job in creating her Living Trust – and even added a very helpful 12-page “Letter of Last Instructions”, there has been so many problems in my attempts to fulfill all the requirements of a trustee that these last six weeks have been overwhelming and extremely frustrating. I read the three Nolo Estate Administration books first, but I had too many unanswered questions, so I hired an attorney specializing in Estates. Unfortunately, after two weeks of getting no responses or help, I had to hire a different one (who is very thorough and prompt). But there have been so many problems with even the simplest tasks – like the Post Office refusing to forward Mom’s mail from Assisted Living to my residence, and, most stressful, Citibank’s refusal to send me Mom’s final credit card statement I requested 10+ times over the last 5 weeks from the time I notified them of her death. Instead of sending me the statement so I could verify the charges and pay the bill, they immediately locked me out of the account I had just closed and sent the account directly to a debt collection agency without informing me. The debt collection agency sent me a bill for the total amount, but refused to send a statement detailing the charges until I finally contacted the President of Citibank, L.A. Times, etc. where, weeks later, I finally received a pdf file of the charges. So even the simple task of my trying to pay a credit card bill has been a nightmare.

Because Mom was the beneficiary of so many trusts in so many places, just trying to determine which trust should be includable in the Estate, which should not, some with step-ups, some not has taken even the attorney and my CPA considerable time to figure out.

Then there is the problem of assigning two trustees who are also your children – and, in our case, where the relationship has already been very confrontational for so many years.

It has been difficult enough trying to deal with my mother’s sudden death. I had just finished spending a month arranging the moves to a different assisted living facility for Mom, and my husband’s mom. On the day of the move, we had to take Mom to the hospital, but we expected her to recover so we went ahead with the moves. Mom was in the hospital for a week of tests, then sent to a nursing home when the doctor’s could do no more there, then a week later to my sister’s home for hospice, where Mom died two days later.

Since I will be receiving a sizable amount of distributions from the various trusts, I also hired a fee-only financial planner – just to create a “sample” conservative portfolio he would recommend. I have several questions about a few of his recommendations I would love to ask this group as soon as I can complete the most immediate Estate tasks.

I’ve really missed reading all your inputs in MFO. Being able to read and participate here again is my top priority as soon as I have any reasonably cognitive time left from dealing with the estate problems.

In the meantime, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope you will be able to enjoy this time with your families.

Cathy

Comments

• Hi Cathy,

Recalling your thoughts from October regarding the relocation of your Mother to another facility and to read what has happened; I am sad to read this from you.
    Also your past notes regarding the difficulty in attempting to discover and provide for the best possible paths for your Mother's investments. You have worked very hard for the past few years to structure everything to your best abilities and continue to do so now.
    Foremost, in my opinion; at this time, is to continue to keep yourself healthy as you move forward sorting all of the details and duties you are involved with in the estate.
    It is also sad to note your comments regarding others and the difficult processes involved with performing; what one would hope to be, somewhat straight forward legal processes to resolve any issues or otherwise with accounts, as noted for the credit card account.
    I lost my father in September, 2008; and although not a complex issue to resolve any monetary side of the event; is none the less a very sentimental and emotional period.

Sincerely,
    Catch/Mark
  • Hi Cathy. Very sorry to hear about your mom and the subsequent problems with the estate. Rest assured, you have been missed here and I look forward to your posts again. Hope you can put everything aside and have a very Merry Christmas!
  • Cathy, our deepest condolence to you and your family. I hope your diligent will pay off in the near future. Along the same vein, we are facing similar situation with our father-in-law as he is insecure to let the family involved in the estate planning. I can only see a mess to sort out sometime down the road...

Please come visit us again when the estate matters are settled. In the meantime, please have a happy and safe holiday.
  • Cathy - best of luck w/ your family. We'll pray for you. regards - JNN
  • Hi Cathy and Merry Christmas.

I am sorry to hear of your current situation even though I think we all saw it coming. You hope for better but it just doesn't always happen. If I may be so bold, try to step out of the field of play and look at it from the coaches standpoint. By that I mean - you want the best possible outcome from what you have to deal with and how the players will respond is out of your control. You just have to keep doing the best you can, being as truthful and honest with yourself as possible, to be at peace with yourself in the end. For what it's worth we are currently walking down the same rocky road but I am confidant that it will clear. Mark
  • Hi Cathy,

Sorry it's been such a chore, particularly at your time of grief. I was Executor of my dad's estate years ago. It was peanuts, but there were 5 heirs - no will. I just documented everything and made copies and kept a completely open set of books. My mom and stepdad made me Executor of their estate and there are 6 heirs - even split. She died in 2010 and he's just been sent home with hospice care. He's 86 with a leaking valve job and failing kidneys. But hey, he's had a great life.

Note that I've been executor but they also both made me DPOA and my brother MPOA (he's a physician). I've been working with them for about a decade getting things straightened out and clean. And I mean antiseptic. All real property sold years back when they moved into the first retirement home. That was when we executed the letter of instructions and distributing most of her things of note. After a while, the car was given to the daughter. Furniture given to relatives or charity or church. Stepdad moves from home to Tennessee with daughter to be closer to mom's grave. I had her set up a joint account where his SS and pension go. He's paying her room and board. Up here, just after my mom died, we consolidated all banking institutions and have been rolling CDs into a joint acct that I have with him. As of last month every dime was joint with either me or her. It is my goal to avoid probate and the blue meanies and stay perfectly legal. Again, antiseptic. Estate mid to low 6 figs.

I just got real use to carrying a stack of death certficates and DPOAs with me whenever I was dealing with this stuff. I even had to deal with the IRS using the DPOA and DC. But I've been doing their taxes for 5 years now.

Now, please let me state that their estate is nothing compared to that of your mom and I cannot phathom the complexities you're having to deal with. I simply with you well and continue to get good advice.

We were very fortunate in having a great estate attorney draw up our documents. Wrote it in such a way we don't have to update it or dink with it. But again, we're easy with just the boy and dos nietos.

Geez, good luck and have some great holidays,

peace,

rono

• Cathy, so sorry to hear of your mother's passing on. And good luck with that "gig," attempting to work with your sister, who has been less than helpful. My aunt would have been 90 just yesterday, but died in the Spring. Never married, never any children. But 16 nieces and nephews who will all get something---equally--- from her estate. My brother is the sole Estate executor. And he's got to try to sell auntie's house, in THIS market! No one is rushing him. First partial distribution came just today, in time for Christmas.

Lots going on while you've been away. Hope you're back in the swing of things here at MFO shortly again.
  • Cathy, best wishes for you and your family. It seems like a lot of people here are at that age where their parents need help or are passing away.

A few items from my own experience might prove helpful. Like you, I was named a co-executor, but handled almost everything without involvement from the other co-executor. Almost every institution required both co-executors to sign everything. Very annoying, but you learn to live with it. Fidelity, while helpful, really botched this aspect. We opened up an estate account, but they only got my signature on file. So they printed up checks with only my name on it. Months later, they came back and said that we needed to fill out signature cards "as a routine matter"; they never mentioned the error. Goes to show that there are going to be glitches no matter how careful everyone is.

As much as possible, let your lawyer, your accountant, your planner, handle matters. The rules are pretty clear, but if you haven't done this before (and how many of us have?), all the procedural steps - who to go to for what, which form to fill out, etc. - can be daunting. I got very, very familiar with the county courthouse - going to get new Letters Testamentary every couple of months. (In most states, they're only good for two months.)

No matter how good you've been with the records, just in case, check with the state for any escheated property. You never know what might have been missed. And as Max pointed out - don't rush it. You've got plenty of time.

Again, best wishes, and hope you have a better 2012.

• Reply to @catch22: Thanks so much Catch/Mark for your kind thoughts. My ability to be able to concentrate on the tasks to be done - instead of what the market has been doing daily - is in good part due to the input from you and other FundAlarm/MFO'ers, who have been such a huge help in my being able to create a portfolio I have been comfortable with during all these market fluctuations.

Losing a loved one, like my Mom and your father, is such a strong emotional experience. I do feel, however, that times like this do make me re-evaluate how I am living my life... and enlightens me on the changes I need to make NOW as the sense of my own mortality becomes more of a reality. Cathy
  • Reply to @MikeM: Thanks so much, Mike. It's such a nice feeling to know I've been missed. Thanks for letting me know - and thanks, again, for being such a big help to me in responding to my questions. Cathy
  • Reply to @Sven: Thanks, Sven. I felt such a strong withdrawal at not being able to even look at the postings here for so long. I'm giving myself a Christmas present by allocating my first free moments to once again join in with this group. I hope the situation with your father-in-law is resolved amicably and competently as I wouldn't want you to have to deal with the resulting mess if it is not. Cathy
  • Reply to @johnN: Thank you for your thoughts, John, and for your help in furthering my investment knowledge. Cathy
  • Reply to @Mark: Thank you, Mark, for your kind words. You are so right... this experience has been almost surreal. I'm having to accept things I would normally have challenged just to get through it. My mom had paid for plots - and funeral services - for four of us many years ago. We all went to Forest Lawn and Mom spent a lot of time choosing just the right casket. But it was only after we notified them of Mom's death that they told us that casket was no longer available. Then we had to sign a form that gave them authorization to bury Mom in the plot she had paid for - but the form seemed to be more of a release, stating they have no liability if they bury the wrong body. The $5,000+ "services" Mom paid for ended up to be nothing at all except some flowers on her casket... no chapel, or any other services, and we had to pay an additional $450 for a Celebrant to talk about Mom at the gravesite. That, along with an additional $200 for "taxes", seemed to make that advance payment worthless.

I do hope your situation smoothes itself out soon, and I'm so glad you are able to maintain your optimism. Cathy
  • Reply to @rono: Thanks, Rono. It sounds like you've done everything right given such huge responsibilities you've had dealing with all those estates - your family is so fortunate to have you handle all that.

My husband and I have been appallingly negligent in not creating any will or trust. It's not that we haven't wanted to... it's just that we're having trouble deciding where our money and collections should go to. We would like almost all of our estate to go to the charities that are the most efficient at providing the most services for the money (to help children, animals, classical guitar support, plants legacy, and organizations who have enough clout to actually make a difference in helping save our environment for future generations). (One of them will be to an organization that helps animals, but I am mentally unstable about even seeing pictures of hurt animals that I can't even check the sites to see which ones are best. I think they have upgraded Charity Navigator, so I can check there). So your documents that don't need constant changing sounds great - and we have put getting this done in a "Top Priority" category. We have no children, or family that needs any more money than they will already have. So, ideally, we could find a nice, young, administrator that we can completely trust to fulfill our wishes the way we would like them after our death. But it's so hard to put that much trust in someone we don't even know. Cathy
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Thanks, Max. I will be sooo glad when this is over. It sounds like your Aunt's dispositions are handled well.... it's so nice, but surprising, that there are 16 nieces and nephews who are apparently accepting their share without complaints for more.

I can't wait to at least start reviewing the current postings... and as many previous ones as I can find time for. I always enjoy your postings, and look forward to catching up. Cathy
  • Reply to @msf: Thanks so much for your input, msf. It sounds like you could pass the Estate Attorney Bar after all your work. I have also found problems... with one company putting the wrong date for the Living Trust on the original (but that seems taken care of now). But, most frustrating has been US Bank's inefficiency in handling the distribution of the Rochester trusts. The manager there has been on two 1-week vacations during and since the time they received the death certificate. I don't begrudge her the vacations, but in each case she never bothered to even respond to the questions I asked before she left each time, and the only way I found out she was gone each time was when I received her automatic return emails saying she was "out for the week." So, even though it's been 3 weeks since they received the death certificate, a couple weeks since she's had our directives on selling and distributing all, and all the investments sales for each trust were completed on December 21 so the funds are now in cash accounts for each trust, she's saying she cannot distribute all of the proceeds (less their fees) by the end of this year. Perhaps this is standard procedure, but it just seems those distributions should have been able to be completed by December 31.

I am glad I have the advice of our estate attorney to verify that all the steps I'm doing are correct and complete. And equally glad that I have a CPA who is going to have to deal with the tax forms and preparations. Cathy

P.S. I don't know anything about the escheated property. In my quick google check, it seems to do with unclaimed property. All of Mom's assets have been identified, so hopefully this isn't anything I need to follow up on.
  • edited December 2011
    Cathy, Our hearts go out to you for your recent loss. Hope you find it possible to enjoy the beauty of the season. Looking forward to you being back as a regular in the new year.
  • edited December 2011
    Cathy, I was think about you when I responded another message that some people disappear from the board and we never know what happened. I am sorry to hear your loss and the difficulties that followed and you seem exhausted. Take care of your health. You have done the right thing by employing the right professional to resolve this. Let them handle it as much as possible.

It may be difficult for you but I wish you happy x-mas/holidays.
  • Hi, Cathy.

Mom died some years ago, likely of a hospital-induced infection. Her estate turned out to be $15,000 in unpaid bills. Even now, the thought makes me sad. That said, it gets better. Remembering that you're not alone helps. Remembering how annoyed mom would be if she caught you moping around helps. Time helps.

Wishing you great peace and a bright and beautiful new year.

David and Chip
  • Reply to @hank: Thank you, Hank. I'm hoping to do more "accentuate the positive" in 2012 as I have so much to be thankful for. Cathy
  • Reply to @Investor: Thanks, Investor. It's so nice to be able to spend at least a few moments back in this Forum now - especially to thank the members like you who have been such a big help to me in your patience and willingness to take the time to respond to my numerous questions. Cathy
  • Reply to @David_Snowball: Thank you, David and Chip. I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's death, David, especially if from possible hospital causes. Then to find out about all the bills... that must have been awful. Almost all the tasks for the Estate will end some time in the next few months, so I am grateful for that - and for being able to enjoy your site once again.... thank you so much for continuing this! Cathy
  • Dear Cathy - I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your mom. I hope everything will be sorted out soon. Have a wonderful holiday and best wishes for the new year.
  • Thanks so much, Scott, for all your wonderful help through this Forum. Now.... to try and figure out what's going to happen in U.S. and the World this year. So much of this market seems completely illogical to me. I hope you're able to have a nice, relaxing holiday season with your loved ones. Cathy
  • Hi Cathy- We are all very sorry to hear about your mom. It surely must be a great comfort to know that you have done just about everything you could think of to ease the situation, especially in the face of adversity and misunderstanding.

You couldn't have done better than to talk to the folks here at Fund Alarm/MFO. They are some great people. Hope that the new year is a better one for you!

OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Thanks, OJ. I always think of FA/MFO as my "refuge", and have never been let down by all the wonderful people here. I'm so glad you, and almost all the other regular posters from FA have transferred to MFO. Cathy
  • Very sorry to hear about your loss. I am not as knowledgeable in matters related to living trust and like, but am glad to hear that in general you have some good professional help (and knowledgeable MFO board members' advice) to steer you
    through the trying times. Take care.
  • Reply to @Kaspa: Thank you, Kaspa. I'm looking forward to a new, "stress-free" 2012, where my husband and I are healthy, the market shows nice, steady growth, and the problems of the world are fixed (might as well aim high). Cathy
  • Cathy:

Just signed in after a hiatus of my own. I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

You are having to deal with formidable complexities. It looks like you have had lots of good advice already. It also sounds like you have in place the team of professionals you need to support you.

Be more patient than you ever thought you would need to be, make self-care a priority, and lean on your husband - that's what he's there for.

I hope the way forward is getting clearer for you.

Keep well. All the best in the New Year.

Greg

• Reply to @GregFromBoston: Thank you, Greg, very good advice. My poor husband has had to listen to the brunt of my frustration, and has come through it like a champ, thank goodness. I have to keep remembering that I have so much to be grateful for when I receive lawyer's bill to date that was 3 times what I had calculated (even after I had doubled my estimate), USB's delays in full distributions, problems with the appraiser, etc., etc. I just need to find some way to wash my brain out to clear it completely from all this after I can finally get it done. Cathy