Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar's Portfolio Manager Price Updating Concern ...

Comments

• edited November 2014
    As you can see, at 4:15pm PST google has it's act together. M* certainly does not. Note the unevenness even within the AF (American Fund) and AC (American Century) fund families.

M*
    .INX 2048.72 OK -
    ABNDX 12.75 OK - AF
    AIBAX 13.53 OK - AF
    AHITX 10.99 OK - AF
    ABALX 26.11 OK - AF
    ANCFX 55.6 Error No Update AF
    SMCWX 49.7 Error No Update AF
    CWGIX 47.38 Error No Update AF
    ANEFX 39.97 OK - AF
    TAFTX 17.72 Error No Update AF
    AMHIX 15.44 Error No Update AF
    AMCPX 29.81 Error No Update AF
    ACMVX 17.84 Error No Update AC
    TWSMX 7.59 OK - AC
    ABHIX 6.04 Error No Update AC
    BUFBX 14.87 OK -
    PRBLX 41.21 Error No Update
    VVPSX 19.37 Error No Update
    GABAX 68 OK -
    MAPIX 15.62 OK -
    LSBRX 15.42 OK -
    SFGIX 11.52 OK -
    MFLDX 16.47 OK -
    GASFX 31.08 Error No Update
    ARTGX 16.05 Error No Update
    RSIVX 10.23 OK -
    RPHYX 9.95 OK -
    WAFMX 3.23 OK -
    GPROX 12.71 OK -
    SCHD 40.19 OK -

• edited November 2014
    ACMVX. $17.80
    MAPIX. $15.62

Just noticed MAPIX did update.
  • Once again we have to ask, if M* cannot update the daily NAVs correctly, how can we be assured the rest of their data is correct?

They have a separate issue with Portfolio Manager not updating in a timely manner.
    Seems that only occasionally do they get a price quote or end of day NAV wrong, but Portfolio Manager price updates seem to be a mess. And people want to just look at their portfolios and get all the prices in one place, rather than have to enter ticker symbols one by one
  • ".......We’ve recently made a number of updates to the site, so we’re working to categorize and understand this issue so that we can resolve it definitively......"
    Shaking my head. What does this even MEAN? .....
  • Not really important, Max. The main thing is that she will reach out to you, and you can feel free to reach out to her. (But don't touch!)

Good grief!!
  • Corporate speak.
  • edited November 2014
    She left out the "stakeholder" parts. Must be new. Pretty funny, actually: right out of "Dilbert".
  • You said it, OJ! :)
  • At 5:35pm PST it looks as if M* finally caught up to Google, except for ARTGX, which is down 55¢ because of a distribution today.

M*
    .INX 2048.72 OK -
    ABNDX 12.75 OK - AF
    AIBAX 13.53 OK - AF
    AHITX 10.99 OK - AF
    ABALX 26.11 OK - AF
    ANCFX 55.54 OK - AF
    SMCWX 49.47 OK - AF
    CWGIX 47.28 OK - AF
    ANEFX 39.97 OK - AF
    TAFTX 17.73 OK - AF
    AMHIX 15.45 OK - AF
    AMCPX 29.69 OK - AF
    ACMVX 17.8 OK - AC
    TWSMX 7.59 OK - AC
    ABHIX 6.02 OK - AC
    BUFBX 14.87 OK -
    PRBLX 41.09 OK -
    VVPSX 19.3 OK -
    GABAX 68 OK -
    MAPIX 15.62 OK -
    LSBRX 15.42 OK -
    SFGIX 11.52 OK -
    MFLDX 16.47 OK -
    GASFX 31.2 OK -
    ARTGX 16.05 Error No Update
    RSIVX 10.23 OK -
    RPHYX 9.95 OK -
    WAFMX 3.23 OK -
    GPROX 12.71 OK -
    SCHD 40.19 OK -

• edited November 2014
    Old_Joe said:

At 5:35pm PST it looks as if M* finally caught up to Google, except for ARTGX, which is down 55¢ because of a distribution today.

I'm seeing the update on ARTGX now.......are you?
    And were you referring to the "main" M* quote, or just the quote as seen in Portfolio Manager?
  • edited November 2014
    Hmmmmmmm. I thought mine were already all caught-up..... I just looked again, and I see that all of my stuff put together, according to Morningstar, equals just 99.7% of my stuff. This is getting to be risible. Like Biggus Dickus. ........He has a wife, you know. Do you know what she's called?
  • Sorry for the drop-out period- it was dinner time. OK, now at 6:37pm PST, here's what M* has to offer for ARTGX:

ARTGX 15.5 -13.75 -3.43 Artisan Global Value Investor

As Max said, this is just risible. They finally got the closing price posted, but they show a drop of $13.75, or 3.43%. from the previous day's post. Let's see now: with a drop of $13.75, and today's post at $15.50, that would have put yesterdays supposed value at $29.25. A 3.43% drop from $29.25 would be $1.02, making today's new number $28.23.

Reality intervenes: Yesterdays value was actually $16.05. Today's value is actually $15.50. Yesterday's value of 16.05 did actually decrease by 3.43%, which is 55¢, making the new number $15.50, which it is. So I guess that M* figures that 2 out of 3 is OK. When I was in grammar school, unfortunately 2 out of 3 was only 66%, which was a failing grade by anyone's measure.

What a joke!

• Max: Do you know what she's called?

Who could forget Incontinentia B.? (But hey, the crowd says, what about Bwian!)
  • edited November 2014
    AndyJ said:

Max: Do you know what she's called?

Who could forget Incontinentia B.? (But hey, the crowd says, what about Bwian!)

LOL... Bwian? No, BRIAN! LOL. Thwoe him to the fwoor, centuwion, vewy woughwy.
  • The high school dwama, er drama, class here put on a very creditable Spamalot last spring - MP spans the generations!
  • Well, today at 5:35pm PST both Google and M* are in agreement with the day's results. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but at least we're heading in the right direction.
  • I've had longstanding issues with the dividend reinvestment process calculation that m* uses. And it's accuracy. Usually it repurchases at the wrong price.
  • Some wit once observed that "the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from".
  • edited November 2014
    LOL. Groucho: "I stand on my record. That way, no one can see it."
  • Morningstar: 6:33 p.m. EST on Friday, 21st Nov. Not updated, yet.
  • Max, If I remember, you own MAINX. Closed at $10.54. Up a penny.

Mine are all updated via apps.
  • @Max: "If I remember, you own MAINX. Closed at $10.54. Up a penny"
    Mine are all updated via Yahoo.Com. on my laptop.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MAINX&ql=1

• edited November 2014
    Below is a message board posting by an employee of Morningstar on the Morningstar.com discussion board.

"As you see other securities that are slow to update, please pass them on as well as the time the delay was noted."

Re: Incorrect mutual fund prices on Morningstar.com 2 hours, 17 minutes ago | Post #3593223

"All,

We recently shifted Portfolio Manager to a faster data source for price data, including end-of-day prices and NAVs. This aligned Portfolio Manager with the change we made to Quote pages earlier this year. End-of-day prices should be flowing in earlier, as much as 1-2 hours earlier. When I review our automated QA tests, I’m seeing that the data is flowing through more quickly. Based on the feedback in this forum it is clear that is not the case for all securities. I appreciate the feedback and examples of specific securities. I am following up on these securities to identify why these are delayed. As you see other securities that are slow to update, please pass them on as well as the time the delay was noted.

Thank you,

M*_Darrin"

• "As much as 1-2 hours earlier" ???

That is pretty bad considering you can get current quotes shortly after the close. I would not be bragging about that kind of update.
  • JohnChisum, thank you. .....I'm back again looking at my portfolio, as well as other things. Of course, by now, at midnight (Fri-Sat) the numbers are updated--- though for some, "rank in category" are not updated: DLFNX MAPIX MAINX MEASX SFGIX TRAMX (although the category it is put into at Morningstar is a non-category.) PREMX PRESX NAESX. How much does Morningstar want to pay me for pointing out what it needs to do, I wonder? I can't use an app. No cell phone. Don't want one.:)
  • Do you have to pay to be able to post in their forums? I think they are free. You could post a question there. Fortunately, I don't use M* and never have in almost 30 years of fund investing.
  • edited November 2014

Do you have to pay to be able to post in their forums? I think they are free. You could post a question there. Fortunately, I don't use M* and never have in almost 30 years of fund investing.

Anyone can post in their forums. Morningstar.com-----on the far Right click "Discuss".....that takes you to their Forums.......go to General Forums.....select the Morningstar.com Forum and post there. There is already a topic, see above, "Incorrect Prices on Morningstar.com". M*_Darrin posted his message there....
  • JohnChisum, thank you. .....I'm back again looking at my portfolio, as well as other things. Of course, by now, at midnight (Fri-Sat) the numbers are updated--- though for some, "rank in category" are not updated: DLFNX MAPIX MAINX MEASX SFGIX TRAMX (although the category it is put into at Morningstar is a non-category.) PREMX PRESX NAESX. How much does Morningstar want to pay me for pointing out what it needs to do, I wonder? I can't use an app. No cell phone. Don't want one.:)

Max, they want specifics......if you call them, the rep will go to your portfolio(s) and address all your specific concerns. The more specific details you can give them about your account and portfolio, what issues came up and when/what time, the better. You can send them screenshots documenting issues, via email, while the rep is on the phone with you, etc.
  • edited November 2014
    I was not able to check my portfolio for the weekly close until around 6:30 AM EST Saturday. Both Yahoo Finance and Moringstar are reflecting the same valuation for the portfolio. It seems everything is priced correctly.

Since, M* knows who I am, beyond my handle of Old_Skeet, I am sure they are following my portfolio and perhaps some other members portfolios as well if held in portfolio manager. If you find a security that is not priced correctly I'd note it under this thread.

Old_Skeet