Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar's Portfolio Manager Price Updating Concern ...

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Hello,

I check my portfolio's day ending valuation around 7:15 PM, during the Nightly Business Report program through both Yahoo Finance and Morningstar's Portfolio Manager ... They were both in sync with each other.

Happy days are here again.

Old_Skeet
  • Ditto, Joe at Morningstar.:)
  • Hey, how cool is this? Perhaps discussion boards can offer more than just noise after all.

I'll second Old Skeet. Welcome Carling to the board!
  • edited November 2014
    I thought I'd make this my final post unless something might arise that would warrant it to be re-opened.

In comparing Yahoo's Portfolio to Morningstar's Portfolio Manager ... Yahoo was the first to completely update this evening at around 6:30 PM EST while Morningstar was around 15 minuets later at about 6:45 PM EST. And, importantly the portfolio value of both matched. Overall, I still favor M*'s portfolio manager over Yahoo's as it has sone neat features that are not to be found in Yahoo's.

In addition, I'd like to thank all that made post on the thread as it took the actions of many to get the movement going. Seems others have previously tried but to no avail.

As Charles said ... "Perhaps discussion boards can offer more than noise after all."

Let's keep it going.

Old_Skeet
  • Like what?
  • This fine site!
  • edited November 2014
    In your specific case, Tb, you are correct: you offer nothing.
  • I promise nothing..but pay attention...
  • Old_Joe said:

In your specific case, Tb, you are correct: you offer nothing.

TB,

A recurring thought over and over?

How many Bud Lights did you have today?

Mona

• edited November 2014
    Hello,

It is now about 8:45 PM EST.

I was hoping M* had fixed their pricing concern. However, this evening, I again report a pricing concern with SGGDX. As I write M* is reporting in both their fund quote report and in their portfolio manager report incorrect pricing for SGGDX for end of day pricing at $14.38 while the fund company themselves are reporting $14.52 as being the correct price. Interestingly, Yahoo Finance is reporting this correctly.

I am providing links to the First Eagle Site …

https://www.feim.com/individual-investors/overview

To the Yahoo Site …

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SGGDX

And, to the Morningstar’s quote report …

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=SGGDX&region=USA

Notice, that both Yahoo First Eagle are reporting 11/17/2014 closing price at $14.52 while Morningstar is reporting it at $14.38.

Seems their pricing of mutual funds leaves a lot to be desired.

I have made copies of these reports just in case I get called out on this.

Have a good evening.

Old_Skeet
  • @Old_Skeet, here's documentation of what you reported.

• edited November 2014
    From the First Eagle website

It appears that Morningstar is reporting Friday's closing price, which incorrectly indicating that it is for today.

@Old_Skeet and MFOers, are we going to have to double check Morningstar's quotes with another source before we know the correct price? Old_Skeet went to the source itself, the First Eagle website....but that is time consuming if you want to know quotes from many different companies.
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks rjb112 for posting the graphics that posture my most recent findings. It is much appreciated as I plan to call Carling Spelhaugh at 312-424-4288 ... and, again advise that there continues to be concern with M*'s price reporting. With the graphics, you provided which are time and date stamped, Ms. Spelhaugh and interested others will be able to see this with their own eyes.

I guess seeing this will hopefully have them to believe that a problem does still exist.

Thanks again,

Old_Skeet
  • @Old_Skeet and others:
    Looks like they have now updated the price.
    They are still not off the hook. This isn't an issue of a delayed quote. The bigger issue is that they attached today's date to Friday's quote. "As of 11/17/2014" is the bigger problem. Would have been much better had it showed Friday's price with Friday's date.

• edited November 2014
    Hello,

It is now about 8:35AM EST as I write.

For what it is worth ...

I contacted M* at about 8:15 AM EST and went through the pricing concerns again with their represemtative. This review lasted for about ten minutes as I had them access the thread itself. Finally, it was acknowledged that they had mispriced the security and would forward this on to the department that would be responsible to deal with this. They could not dispell the documentation that rjb112 provided. I asked that a copy of and note of the call be sent on to Carling Spelhaugh in Corporate Communications. By the way ... Joe@Morningstar is an email address to their customer service dept.

Hopefully, things will be improving.

Old_Skeet
  • Eleven days ago I wrote to M* that their quote for HQL was based on the previous day's NAV rather than a real quote, and PM reflected the same. They wrote back more than a week ago that it had been forwarded so it could be fixed. The quote page and PM still show a price that's indicated as being from November 6th, but unfortunately its not even the correct price for that date. Unfortunately I'm seemingly unable to figure out how to post the nice pictures rjb112 does, but I assume this link will work until they fix it:

cef.morningstar.com/quote?t=hql

Maybe they have too many things to fix so I should be more patient, but at least I hope they'll manage to get their arms around the situation before the Portfolio Monitor reports come out at the end of the month.
  • edited November 2014
    I guess if you work at M* and carry the title of a "fixer, etc." you will be there a long time as it seems from what I have been reading and what I am finding through my own ventures there are a lot of things that seem to be broken that need to be visited by a fixer.

It would be nice too ... if the MFO board members had one person we could contact about concerns we find and in this way we would not have to spend a lot of time giving their representative historical back ground detail about these reoccurring issues.

I trust they are working on these issues?

Perhaps. they will be posting an update soon.

Old_Skeet
  • Perhaps M* isnt the only one with reporting issues. Yesterday, after 8:00 pm PST, I updated my spreadsheet using Google Finance. I happened to check Google again a few minutes ago, and look at the discrepancies! I also happened to download the same report from M* yesterday, again after 8:00pm local. Note that yesterday's M* agrees with "today's" Google posting:

Was: Now: M*
    ABNDX 12.76 12.76 OK 12.76
    AIBAX 13.53 13.54 Error 13.54
    AHITX 11.11 11.04 Error 11.04
    ABALX 25.96 26.04 Error 26.04
    ANCFX 55.23 55.32 Error 55.32
    SMCWX 49.73 49.35 Error 49.35
    CWGIX 47.01 46.99 Error 46.99
    ANEFX 39.85 39.85 OK 39.85
    TAFTX 17.74 17.73 Error 17.73
    AMHIX 15.46 15.45 Error 15.45
    AMCPX 29.71 29.58 Error 29.58
    ACMVX 17.75 17.74 Error 17.74
    TWSMX 7.58 7.57 Error 7.57
    ABHIX 6.08 6.05 Error 6.05
    BUFBX 14.81 14.87 Error 14.87
    PRBLX 40.92 40.92 OK 40.92
    VVPSX 19.53 19.29 Error 19.29
    GABAX 67.72 67.73 Error 67.73
    MAPIX 15.69 15.62 Error 15.62
    LSBRX 15.42 15.45 Error 15.45
    SFGIX 11.53 11.45 Error 11.45
    MFLDX 16.56 16.43 Error 16.43
    GASFX 31.11 31.01 Error 31.01
    ARTGX 15.89 15.95 Error 15.95
    RSIVX 10.24 10.25 Error 10.25
    RPHYX 9.94 9.95 Error 9.95
    WAFMX 3.24 3.23 Error 3.23
    GPROX 12.82 12.71 Error 12.71
    SCHD 40.01 40.1 Error 40.01
    WTF!!
  • Could be the Google thing is a one time issue? Usually Google and Yahoo are fairly reliable but I've seen times when either one didn't update in reasonable fashion.
  • Hi John- yeah, I sure hope so. As far as I'm aware, Google is usually pretty reliable for the day's results after 1500 PST, give-or-take.
  • I have MAPIX closing at $15.69 for those holding that fund.
  • LLJB said:

Eleven days ago I wrote to M* that their quote for HQL was based on the previous day's NAV rather than a real quote, and PM reflected the same. They wrote back more than a week ago that it had been forwarded so it could be fixed. The quote page and PM still show a price that's indicated as being from November 6th

cef.morningstar.com/quote?t=hql

Here's documentation of the M* quote.
  • As of 4:30pm PST Google and M* are in agreement, thus probably both correctly updated. Google apparently has most of the fund info maybe an hour sooner than M*. Oddly, the M* update was for the most part correctly updated, but with a few laggards, within American Funds and American Century, while those company's funds were completely updated on Google.
  • It is about 8:00 PM EST as I write.

In review of my portfolio's valuation which currently consists of fifty two funds through both Yahoo Finance and Morningstar Portfolio Manager they both are reporting the same valuation this evening.

Now, if this happened every evening then I'd say things have been fixed ... but, I know better.

Have a good evening,

Old_Skeet

• Yeah, that's the vexing part- OK today, who knows what tomorrow? Wouldn't you think that the computers would all be talking the same language by now?
  • Hello,

I have now received a response form Moringstar about the pricing issue raised in this thread. I removed my name from the response.

The response reads ...

Hi xxxxx,

My name is Lizzie, and I manage our product support team at Morningstar. I’ve been working with Carling and with our product team on the issue you’ve reported regarding incorrect or outdated NAV pricing on Morningstar.com. Carling and Aarti brought me up to speed on the discussions you’ve had, and I also read through the forum on the Mutual Fund Observer site.

Firstly, I want to apologize for any inconvenience this problem has caused you. I’ve been working with our product and development teams to diagnose and resolve this seemingly intermittent issue. We’ve recently made a number of updates to the site, so we’re working to categorize and understand this issue so that we can resolve it definitively.

I passed along the screenshots you posted on the forum to our developers. I will reach out to you as soon as I have any updates on this issue. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to me directly, either via email or the phone number listed in my signature, and I will be glad assist.

Best regards,

Lizzie

• I'm happy to report that I noticed mid-morning that HQL is pricing accurately!! At first it wasn't showing any volume but eventually it did. Maybe we're headed in the right direction, fingers crossed!!
  • @LLJB: Closed at $24.72 M* & Yahoo.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Wednesday 6:50 pm EST & 'my portfolio'@ morningstar is still not updated !!!
    ralph
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO -- Here is a recent 'cut & paste' reply to another poster on the M* forum.

--Re: Incorrect mutual fund prices on Morningstar.com11-17-2014, 7:19 PM

"It's a sad state of affairs when we cannot trust the mutual fund quotes in Morningstar and have to go to other sources to find out what the correct price is."
    -------------------------------------------
    - Hello

---I have been checking 'other sources' for correct prices and M* has not gotten their act together.

---- for YEARS !!!!!

retris

• Once again we have to ask, if M* cannot update the daily NAVs correctly, how can we be assured the rest of their data is correct?