Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Post your migration problems and questions here

We'll try to monitor this thread closely.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    it'll take me a while to get used to the new layout and look, but one request i have is, in the subheads to thread titles, that you put # of comments first and the # of views seconds\. it'll make it much easier to scan down the list while looking for threads with comments. # of views is a lesser consideration for me. Also, the font sizes in discussions seem smaller than before, or at least to my ancient eyes they do. Maybe bump em up a bit?
  • I mentioned this in another thread but if I read a topic and then hit my back button on my browser, I end up at the main thread screen logged out. If I use the links on the page then all is okay. Is this a bug or a feature?
  • edited February 2014
    One feature that I have found to be missing in the comment area is the edit feature. Is it gone for good? Or, is there a fix?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi John, found the geer edit icon. Thanks for the tip. And, it will even let you redo and a previous edit. Thanks.
  • Old Skeet, there should be a gear wheel icon in the upper right hand corner of your comment. The edit function is there.
  • Maybe this is not a problem, but it seems a bit odd.

I've bookmarked the MFO homepage. So when I'm at the MFO Homepage, I click "Discussion", it sends me to another page telling me the discussion board has moved.

That's a bit quirky if you ask me. Shouldn't the link on the MFO Homepage take me DIRECTLY to the new location??
  • edited February 2014
    Could not find a happy face=):-):) symbol combination that works...part of new cruelty...er, reality?

• I mentioned this in another thread but if I read a topic and then hit my back button on my browser, I end up at the main thread screen logged out. If I use the links on the page then all is okay. Is this a bug or a feature?

mcmarasco said:

I've bookmarked the MFO homepage. So when I'm at the MFO Homepage, I click "Discussion", it sends me to another page telling me the discussion board has moved.

I don't experience either of these problems. If they're still persisting, please try to clear your browser cache (http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html) then let us know if that helps. If it doesn't, please let me know what browser and operating system you're using.
  • I've changed the font settings, so that the discussion board will use the default sans-serif font for whatever browser you're using. Please let me know if that helps.
  • How do I start ba new thread. It sure is not obvious (unlike the old setup)
  • jerry said:

How do I start ba new thread. It sure is not obvious (unlike the old setup)

Look to the top of the left panel, just under your name. There should be a big blue button, called "New Discussion."
  • cleared the brower and still getting the second window telling me the "discussion board has moved". I must click on the link in the middle of this page.

I am running VISTA home premium and IE8.

Thank you,
    Matt
  • I can't replicate that problem, but I will try again on Monday from a Vista computer at work. Is your MFO bookmark pointing to http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/ ?
  • Thanks Chip. If its easy maybe change that button to "start new discussion" Of course others may not be as foolish as me as I thought new discussion referred to discussions since I was last on site.
  • chip let me clarify the problem. The issue is NOT with the link on the TOP of the MFO Homepage, but with the "discussion board" link in the MIDDLE of the Homepage!!

The top link works just fine, takes me right to the discussion board!! See what you can find out about the "other" discussion board link!!

Thank you again!
    Matt
  • mcmarasco said:

chip let me clarify the problem. The issue is NOT with the link on the TOP of the MFO Homepage, but with the "discussion board" link in the MIDDLE of the Homepage!!

Ah...That explains it. I missed updating a link. Sorry about that. I'll go fix it, now.

• This new format is classy, tight. It will take a while to get accustomed, that's all. Thanks to all concerned!

back button is cache and really shouldn't be used. But as an aside, i don't have the issue, it could be specific to your browser, or you could close your browser, clear cache, and login back in again and see if you have the same problem.
  • chip, just tried the "discussion board" link and perfecto! Thanks!

Good job to all that had a hand in this upgrade/migration!!!!
  • Small thing, but the "Support Us" tab inside the Discussion board now links to the MFO Home page instead.
  • mrdarcey said:

Small thing, but the "Support Us" tab inside the Discussion board now links to the MFO Home page instead.

Thanks for the sharp eyes! It's fixed, now.

• edited February 2014
    Once I look at any discussion thread and return back, the website suggests me to login again. I guess this is the same problem that JohnChisum mentioned. I use Safari on Mac.
  • edited February 2014
    finder said:

Once I look at any discussion thread and return back, the website suggests me to login again. I guess this is the same problem that JohnChisum mentioned. I use Safari on Mac.

one thing i never do is go back (because it is cached and the "unread discussions in yellow" will always be off (incorrect), if you go back through browser.

just click discussions or unread.

And what you can do is open the
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/ in one tab.

and right click to open each new discussion thread in a new tab.

see this thread:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/34290/#Comment_34290
  • chip said:

I've changed the font settings, so that the discussion board will use the default sans-serif font for whatever browser you're using. Please let me know if that helps.

Thank you. Has made it much better.
  • edited February 2014
    Charles said:

Could not find a happy face=):-):) symbol combination that works.

done.
  • edited February 2014
    Very cool
  • Love you guys!
  • It is not a migration issue as I experienced the same problem before the upgrade.
    The Great Owls Funds are not shown in IE 11 browser.
    At the end of the page I see a message "Your browser won’t work with iframes".
    Is it possible to fix that by configuring IE11?
  • edited February 2014
    chip said:

I've changed the font settings, so that the discussion board will use the default sans-serif font for whatever browser you're using. Please let me know if that helps.

perfecto. now the only job left for you is to exchange the positions of views and comments:-)

oh, and one more thing, ha ha: used to be when you hovered over the title of a thread, you'd get a preview of the thread's first line. i don't get than anymore. and i miss it very much. can we get it back or is it (another) personal failing of mine?

• Linter, if you hover over the "owl" to the left of the title, you will see what you are looking for. Discovered this by accident.
  • DavidV said:

It is not a migration issue as I experienced the same problem before the upgrade.
    The Great Owls Funds are not shown in IE 11 browser.
    At the end of the page I see a message "Your browser won’t work with iframes".
    Is it possible to fix that by configuring IE11?

I don't use ie11 chip may have an idea.

I did see this on the web. It may help.

Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> Internet Zone --> Custom Level --> Miscellaneous --> Launch programs and files in an IFRAME.

see:

may be similar:
    https://managewp.com/user-guide/faq/how-to-enable-iframe-in-internet-explorer-10

alternatively, you can enter specific fund names with
    The Risk Profile Search
    or use
    Miraculous Multi-Search and select a category and check great owl or download the pdf.