Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Guess Who Agrees With Pres Trump on Amazon

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I trust you also agree that 100% of Trump's motive is driven by The Washington Post exposing him.
  • @Mona- Seems like a lot of women exposed him before the Post got started on him.
  • Shouldn't we be at least a little worried Trump is still keeping his job? I mean on which planet does an executive keep his job after all that's happened ?!?!?!
  • @VF - it begs the question what does 45 have on many of them?
  • That is an interesting point and you may have something there. I've wondered the same about Hillary. Such a deplorable person, and yet somehow she's like that creature in horror movies that just won't die.
  • edited April 2018
    One could almost surmise all of this is a bad "April Fools" joke. Sadly.......

As to the article @Maurice linked..........Mr. Nader must be off of or in need of medications. Doesn't he do any studies to verify his comments????? I would think he should be a clear thinker. Perhaps age related, or he now only does TV news.

I would personally be embarrassed to make such a pronouncement regarding Amazon causing the further death of the U.S. Postal service.
    'Course, I could not be a used car salesperson either, selling whatever and with no regard to any ethics, to maintain a pay check. A really sad state of affairs continue to stream from most departments of the U.S. government (all branches), embarrassing to me personally; as well as embarrassing to the global perspective and damaging to international relationships. Gonna have to buy some new, small Canadian flags to attach to clothing for international travel, so as to not attract shameful looks or worse.

USA Today report: Companies not paying Federal tax
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2016/03/07/27-giant-profitable-companies-paid-no-taxes/81399094/

Personal note: If this data from USA Today is fake, modified or otherwise false for benefit of whomever; I will have to consider any faith in data, as reported to the broad public is dead. Be this a case, our dear country is already dead and gone.

Personal thoughts for parts of the linked article: AOL, CompuServe, Yahoo and others should be blamed for the death of 1st class mail, beginning some 20+ years ago, yes????? Today, let us blame, uh; Facebook and any other electronic method used by regular folks and business for continued U.S.P.S. death nails.
    I used the U.S.P.S. for many years for shipping products. I accepted, as well as the charged customers; for the existing ship rates. If the rates were too low, they should have been increased, yes? Today, the U.S.P.S. contracts with U.P.S. for some remote parcel deliver.
    So, is the quasi-government operated and money backed postal service supposed to be a for-profit center? Is the overall Federal government supposed to be for-profit center?
    As to incentives directed to Amazon placing the operation centers wherever.........this is "very old news". Michigan and other rust belt states have been dealing with this for decades. Auto companies have issued threats to move or close operations unless a tax abatement or similar was provided by a state and local government. These demands were met. 'Course, in most all cases; the manufacturing facilities were eventually closed anyway.
    I'm out of time and have blabbered enough. One could write a book, eh???
    Sadly, the "shuck and jive" will continue to flow from the seat of government(s).
    I grow weary of this world!
    Hope you all have a pleasant remainder.
    Catch

• I thought the consensus was many companies were using tax loopholes / deductions to not pay the higher corporate tax rate. Therefore trump said lower tax rates BUT get rid of loopholes. IF so, net net, no effect really. Of course if we don't get rid of the loopholes...

• Shouldn't we be at least a little worried Trump is still keeping his job? I mean on which planet does an executive keep his job after all that's happened ?!?!?!

I was involved in a startup that didn't have a shareholder meeting for three years (not uncommon), but where the CEO also refused to meet with shareholders, especially after those holding a majority of shares demanded that he do so. He called himself board chairman though the board never elected him.

The company officers issued written statements to prospective investors saying that it had business contracts with major companies, that had in reality not been signed (and never were). With the board's knowledge.

When I told my lawyer that this seemed like something way out of the norm, his response was along the lines of "no, this is fairly common." It seems we have a government run like a business, as promised.