Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2018-Small or large cap stocks

Will small or large cap stocks be the winner in the new year, that is assuming one or the other will be the best place for stock invested dollars?

Comments

• @Bobpa: The trend is your friend, stay with large-caps !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Anybody's guess each and every year. You got a coin?
  • I might take a poll and then lean the other way than what most people predict. "The trend is your friend" is probably as good advice as your going to get but when trying to predict a specific year your chances are probably not much different if you flip a coin or throw darts.
  • edited December 2017
    I'm thinking both asset classes will do well in 2018. Probally, small will lead large as we enter 2018 up towards spring. Then large will lead small through the summer and into fall. Come fall small will again become the leader. With this, I am not sure which will have the better overall year. Old Skeet has a good representation of both (domestic & foreign).
  • Hi @Old_Skeet
    You noted: "Probally, small will lead large as we enter 2018 up towards spring. Then large will lead small through the summer and into fall. Come fall small will again become the leader."
    And the reasoning behind this scenario?
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • edited December 2017
    @Catch22

The above comment that you reference is a "tea leaf" prediction.

Currently ... as I write and as we close out the year ... IWM has now taken the lead over MDY & SPY for the past rolling week in Old_Skeet's market compass. Year-to-date the best performing asset class within the compass is EEM which is comprised mostly of large caps and it now trails IWM, MDY & SPY for the past three months.

So ... Is it large over small? Domestic over foreign?

Why would you not want to own some of each?

My best,
    Skeet