Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: What A Complacent Investor Looks Like

FYI: During three separate interviews this week I was asked if I was seeing any signs of complacency among investors, markets, or clients.

If anything, the people I talk to are more concerned with the high probability of lower market returns in the future but my view is surely clouded by the clientele and readers I deal with on a regular basis.

Whether my sample size is representative or not, measuring market sentiment is getting harder and harder these days. Everyone now has a megaphone to voice their opinions — social media, blogs, 24-hour financial television, podcasts, conferences, magazines, financial news websites, etc.
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2017/12/what-a-complacent-investor-looks-like/

Comments

• Hi Guys,

Like it or not, volatility is a characteristic of markets. It does change, sometimes dramatically, over various periods, but the historical record tells the basic truth. In very gross terms, annual equity standard deviation is approximately double annual returns. That's not likely to change, so investors must accept that as the uncertainties of expected returns.

Variability always exists. The arithmetic average return will always be larger than the geometric return. That disparity grows as return standard deviation increases. The geometric average return Includes a correction for Standard Deviation. The geometric return is what determines your end wealth. The equation tells the story.

The approximate equation is: Expected Return equals Average Return minus 1/2 times the standard deviation squared.

Therefore, I take issue with Ben Carlson's closing statement. Portfolio volatility matters; it is your enemy. Portfolio Standard Deviation directly impacts long term returns in a negative way. That's why we work hard to select portfolio components that hopefully reduce our portfolio's volatility.

Carlson is a terrific financial writer. In this instance, he was not representing a viewpoint from an individual investor's portfolio perspective.

Best wishes on accomplishing that target goal.
  • beebee
    edited December 2017
    @MJG your comment,
    Therefore, I take issue with Ben Carlson's closing statement. Portfolio volatility matters; it is your enemy.
    I'm not sure if you read the link that the last line hyperlinked to (and you referenced) , but if you didn't, I'll link it here:

Look at volatility as a source of opportunity, not something to be afraid of.

Also for visual reasons I linked this chart of historical yearly returns and Volatility of the S&P500. Volatility changes the spread or range of returns which is not always a negative enemy of your portfolio:

• MJG
    edited December 2017
    Hi Bee,

Thanks for reading my post and for the excellent, informative graph that you included in your reply.

I did read the article referenced, and I would say that the line you quoted is not unconditionally correct. It depends. It depends on the specific circumstances of the individual investor. If he is adding to his portfolio, market volatility is surely an "opportunity". But if the investor is in retirement and mostly using his portfolio as one source of income, volatility can be frightening.

The approximate equation that I quoted really does tell the story. Volatility does indeed operate to reduce net portfolio wealth over years below annual average return. The higher the volatility, the quicker and more forceful is that negative impact. And it's always negative.

Give it a test by running a few what-if possible cases. A couple of years of possible what-ifs will demonstrate the wisdom in that simple equation. Of course you will tire of this exercise after a few samples so the proof will be incomplete. However, I hope it will be sufficient to reinforce the validity of the questioned equation.

Thank you once again. Good luck good investing.
  • If I were a millennial (I am not) I would expect a higher return than a baby boomer mostly because my asset allocation would be more aggressive. Of course a bear market could mess things up
  • If you’re looking for complacent investors I don’t think this board is the place to look for them. Might be a couple hiding under the rug, but seems to me the vast majority of those who post are really quite active,
  • @hank- Surely you're not equating "active" with "complacent"?

OJ
  • edited December 2017
    com·pla·cent (kəm-plā′sənt) adj.

1. Satisfied with the current situation and unconcerned with changing it, often to the point of smugness

2. Eager to please

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/complacent
    -
    Old_Joe said:

@hank- Surely you're not equating "active" with "complacent"?

@OldJoe, No - not equating. Just the opposite. (Using definition #1) The complacent type probably aren’t hanging around here posting their trades or market insights day by day. Not to sound judgmental ... but with a few exceptions I’d consider this a pretty non-complacent bunch.

• @hank- Got it. Thanks.