Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Dividend investing strategies have a strong appeal for retirees. As I approach retirement – I am uncertain how to design one that takes into account the ongoing interest rate increasing cycle. I would appreciate thoughts on how others are planning to navigate it in the next few years.
  • I am using QDEF (flex shares defensive dividend etf)
  • Actually I think one can have both dividend growth and dividend yield if one has a plan, and has the patience to execute it. Trust the process:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4117315-trust-process?uprof=46&isDirectRoadblock=false

Some on this site think it's utter bunk because of the source (Seeking Alpha) of the linked article but I can say that it has worked for me. I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.
  • edited October 2017
    I have, what I consider to be, a great fund SVAAX (Federated Strategic Value) that uses both dividend yield and dividend growth strategies plus it pays a monthly distribution with a current yield of about 3.2%. I have owned this fund for better than eight years and my cost basis per share is about $3.80 with a current price of $6.35. My brokerage account statement reflects my annual rate of return on the fund at about 13.0%.

With this, I'm thinking as @Mark wrote above ... "one can have both." But have ... "Patience" ... "Trust the Process" ... "Time to Execute" ... etc.

Indeed, from my perspective, the fund has served me well and makes up about a 50% position in my growth & income domestic equity sleeve. It's other two sleeve members, at about 25% each, are ANCFX (growth strategy) and FDSAX (yield strategy).
  • Thanks for the sharing, very helpful.
    Old_Skeet: Is ANCFX closed? M* indicates open, but Scottrade and TD Ameritrade indicates closed.
    Patrick1: Have you looked at the portfolio construction difference between QDEF and QDF? From a performance point of view seems comparable to SCHD.
  • edited October 2017
    @guilhermes

As far as I know ... American Funds' Fundamental Investor (ANCFX) is open for new money purchase. I have not seen any communication that would indicate that the fund was closed.
  • It's closed to investors attempting to purchase it via some brokerages. The F-1 share class AFIFX can be purchased through these brokerages.