Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging Markets Star Sets Up Shop

FYI: When Rajiv Jain left Vontobel Asset Management in May 2016 to set up his own shop, it’s a good bet his former employer wasn’t very happy. A 22-year veteran of the Switzerland-based firm, who started as an analyst and left as its chief investment officer, Jain was a marquee name with a loyal following and nearly $50 billion in international and emerging market assets under his supervision. When he left, Vontobel’s stock dropped and billions of dollars in assets under management left the firm.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/emerging-markets-star-sets-up-shop-33417.html?print

M* Snapshot GQGIX:
http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/GQGIX/quote.html

Lipper Snapshot GQGIX:
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/gqgix

Comments

• The linked article doesn't mention it, but there is a retail version of this fund (GQGPX), NTF at TDA and Schwab, with an ER of 1.33%. Seems to have attracted about $130M. Can't dispute the record Jain compiled at Vontobel.
  • I sold HIEMX a few months back which he ran from 2006-2016 which had superior results during his tenure. I had a wait and see attitude after he left, and decided to opt for SFGIX about 6 months ago. His new fund is not currently offered at Fido, but time will tell. I would be happy to invest with him again when offered, Im still slightly underweight in intl despite my adding in second quarter to all my intl funds. I recently brought SFGIX up to 25K so I can convert to inst. shares which is in process.
  • Yes I have been reading up on this fund over the past couple of weeks too and am intrigued by it. I have followed Jain over the past couple of years. I'm curious what % of your equity portfolios does EM currently represent. I'm around 5 %
  • While Jain has a nice track record from is Vontobel days, I'm happy with Seafarer and GP for my 20%+ EM allocation. Don't want to add funds just to add funds.
  • MikeW said:

Yes I have been reading up on this fund over the past couple of weeks too and am intrigued by it. I have followed Jain over the past couple of years. I'm curious what % of your equity portfolios does EM currently represent. I'm around 5 %

I'm 10% foreign. And SFGIX is my only dedicated EM equity fund. It's 3% of total portfolio. I've not been adding much at all. Mostly just watching, lately. Rich valuations. I'm re-investing all pay-outs.
  • I found out that Jain also is sub advisor to the Goldman Sachs GQG Partners International Opps Fund GSIHX and is available at Fidelity load waived and ntf. It is different than GQGPX which is not yet available at Fidelity. The GS fund is global and currently 14% emerging market vs 73% emerging for GQGPX. They are neck and neck ytd. Since I was familiar with Jains record having HIEMX when he was at Virtus, decided to put toe in his new fund, but had to go to TD Ameritrade to buy it. I always liked new funds with seasoned managers and this is one worth looking at. Both started dec 16, but both have gathered over 300M since then. Thanks to BenW and Ted for finding Jains new shop and posting on it.
  • Thanks for finding that fund, @slick. Some of the big holdings at both of Jain's funds overlap, but it appears GSIHX will be a global developed markets giant and large cap.
  • Templeton EMF is my em pick.