Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

clear and pithy analysis of how it happened

Comments

• Both pieces largely accurate, IMHO.
  • Conclusion: "As these processes continue and accelerate, many Trump voters — the neighbors, relatives, friends, parents and children of those who have become mired in this “geography of desperation” — are deeply apprehensive about what might happen if Trump fails to fulfill his promise to make America great again."

And guess what? There's no way he can do what he promised in the campaign. Not just because all of it is difficult to accomplish through legislation and policy-making; but because Trump is clueless himself, without the political skills of a Kennedy or LBJ (civil rights bill.) Even though Vietnam doomed his administration.
  • I apologize to @davidrmoran. I'm not trying to redirect the thread. I just felt that I can see his base of support wallowing in the identical pool and they would never, ever admit that they maybe chose the wrong person to pilot the ship.
  • Charles Blow is more optimistic than I am.....:(
  • Good ones. Thanks for posting.
  • edited July 2017
    I hopes he gets a lot more done. Not too many politicians give a rats you know what about any of us. I couldn't care less about any of them.
  • @davidmoran::( :( :( :(
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Good article:
    As these processes continue and accelerate, many Trump voters — the neighbors, relatives, friends, parents and children of those who have become mired in this “geography of desperation” — are deeply apprehensive about what might happen if Trump fails to fulfill his promise to make America great again.
    That "if" is awfully generous.
  • Reluctantly, I do need to give Trump credit for understanding the angst, and how to take advantage of it. Trump is certainly a good marketer. Similar to how his data mining and analytics team, Cambridge Analytica, was able to micro-target this same group.

How the Russians were able to get this same data to execute their bot attacks remains a mystery.
  • edited July 2017
    Clear & pithy? Yes. In hindsight things are always clearer.

I regularily bicycle along a rustic trail which passes a terribly ramshackle, but occupied, small shack most of us would consider sub-human. A sign in front, placed along the short dirt strip leading to the home, reads "Dead End." Terribly prophetic. Speaks to the desperation many feel.