Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cars, Machinery Is What Bugs Trump About The "Fatherland"

TedTed
edited May 2017 in Fund Discussions
FYI: German companies from carmaker BMW AG to engineering giant Siemens AG count on the appetite of U.S. customers to drive their sales. President Donald Trump says he has had enough.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-30/cars-machinery-drive-german-surplus-with-u-s-that-vexes-trump

Comments

• Cranial/Rectal inversion may be a wonderful event; for those who do not recognize the symptoms !!!
    Did/does Mr. T. know about the Beemer factory or so many other related? One wonders, eh?
  • On a tangential note, I've started researching cars (after 15 years, and needing a clutch job, it's about time). It's time for a little indulgence, so I've focused on three cars, all German: A3 (base model), 230i xDrive, and VW GTI DSG SE (sunroof). Trump will not appreciate me.

Thoughts (and other suggestions) appreciated. My priorities are a good balance of handling (not raw power) and comfort, efficiency, value, practicality.

Most of BMW's cars can be picked up in Europe. I'd guess that the ones built in the US are the ones not available there: i3, X3, X4, X5 and X6.
    https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html
  • msf,

How about trying to get a good deal on a 1-year old BMW. Let someone else take the first hit on depreciation.

"The following is a list of the new cars resold most often as used within the first year of ownership, according to iSeeCars.com, along with percentage going this route."

http://www.autoremarketing.com/trends/11-new-cars-buyers-give-most-often-after-1-year
  • There are a variety of reasons why I don't look at used cars. As noted in the article, most cars with high discounts are not great cars to begin with. Take a look at a list of most highly discounted used cars; not one that's appealing. (The Fiat 500 is cute, but is still a lousy car by all reports.)
    https://blog.iseecars.com/top-12-cars-to-buy-used-not-new/

Regarding the A3, Consumer Reports buying service suggests I can get already get about a 12-13% discount on a new car.

What I get for a few thousand dollars is an extra year's life out of the car, and in the case of the BMW, an extra year of free maintenance. Rather than having to take catch as catch can, I can have a car built to spec, including color and features. Thus I can effect additional cost savings by not paying for features that have little value to me.

It's a matter of preference. I'm aware of the economics. Amortized over 15 years, I'm willing to pay up to get exactly what I want.
  • I enjoy driving my 1996 Toyota 4 Runner... next vehicle will be a lifetime subscription to Uber!
    Enjoy your new vehicle and safe driving!
  • To each his own. Best car I ever owned was also a Toyota - an MR2 that I drove for almost 200K miles.

Would love to consider a Miata, but that's even more impractical (no spare, no front trunk, no glove compartment), and I am now living where it snows occasionally (rear wheel drive and snow tires).

The higher projected BMW maintenance costs should be somewhat offset by manufacturer coverage for the first four years. (Audi provides only one year and VW none; something to think about.)
  • @msf
    Not trying to talk you out of any purchase... One other thing to consider is cost to insure. Having previously worked for USAA, it would sometimes be EXTREMELY difficult for repair facilities to locate manufacturer replacement parts on European models, thus driving up repair times/costs...thus driving up insurance premiums! Food for thought.
  • msf said:

Would love to consider a Miata, but that's even more impractical (no spare, no front trunk, no glove compartment), and I am now living where it snows occasionally (rear wheel drive and snow tires).

I have 1990 Miata (first year) with over 200,000 miles and after 27 years it is still extremely reliable. Not even an oil leak! From time to time I look at the new ones, but I always conclude I have no compelling reason to buy one.

However, you are correct that it is not the most practical car.

• As German cars are apparently out, that leaves me with a DB11 for tooling around the neighborhood.
  • @msf
    Not trying to talk you out of any purchase... One other thing to consider is cost to insure. Having previously worked for USAA, it would sometimes be EXTREMELY difficult for repair facilities to locate manufacturer replacement parts on European models, thus driving up repair times/costs...thus driving up insurance premiums! Food for thought.

You would think so, but I'd already gotten quotes on the three German cars. All in the same ballpark (within $30/six months), and only modestly more expensive than my current policy (thank you Warren B). Nothing more than one would expect for any new car (book value on current car is just $3K, per KBB.com).

Parts on popular European cars may not be hard to come by. That's the flip side of not getting big discounts because they're popular.

Since you mentioned insurance and Toyotas (definitely not European), I got a quote for the 86. (Yes, that's right, Toyota 86'd the FR-S). The quote was 30% higher than the other quotes! Perhaps German car owners drive more carefully? I don't have any other guesses to explain this oddity.
  • edited May 2017
    @msf
    :)
    The worst experience I have seen between repair facility/insurance company/owner was with a Tesla! Repair facilities that know how to work on them are few and far between! Any Tesla owners out there???
  • I enjoy driving my 1996 Toyota 4 Runner...

Still driving my '87 Toy pickup, but no longer as a long distance vehicle. If I could buy the same truck new today, I'd be set for life. (30th anniversary falls on Halloween.)
  • @AndyJ
    Congrats! I bought mine new in 1996 at Toyota by the Bay in San Diego, CA. 5 speed manual transmission, 4 cylinder... great on gas!!! A/C is still like a meat locker, and I have never added freon! :)
  • edited May 2017
    Mona said:

I have 1990 Miata (first year) with over 200,000 miles and after 27 years it is still extremely reliable. Not even an oil leak! From time to time I look at the new ones, but I always conclude I have no compelling reason to buy one.

That's nice. A gal I worked with came to the employees' summer party one time in a Miata convert. Long time ago now. But I remember. Very sexy looking.

Now - I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 pickup. 44,000 miles. Leaks oil all the time. All the coolant blew out driving recently and was no warning on the dash. But there's an orange warning light that's always on signaling a loose gas cap. Nobody can figure how to turn it off. Bumper rusted off and was replaced years ago. Spare tire carrier rusted off. Mice built a nest under the hood in the fuse box and ate the wiring one time. Tail gate's falling off, etc, etc. Would I buy another GM truck?
  • Trump may not like how many people choose to buy German cars and he would like to slow the imports, but 2 out of his 3 wives were imports.

All he is doing is trying to appease the people that voted for him, to hell with everyone else. I turned away from American cars since 1976 when I bought my first Toyota. I have two now, one is 10 years old and drives like the day I bought it.
  • @slick
    Really...so you are going to play this game and go after wives??? Typical liberal sour grapes! How about your base... ancient, impotent, dying religion of an ideology cannot beat a party whose candidate basically was filmed on national television beating the shit out of some fake ass news journalist??? Does that say more about the Montana GOP candidate or your kind??? Get a grip!!!
  • edited May 2017
    Back to motor vehicles. Sounds like even former spook James Clapper has better "dashboard warning lights" than my Chevy has.:)

"My dashboard warning light was clearly on," said James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence. He told NBC that what he heard late last year, while he was still in office, worried him: "And I think that was the case with all of us in the intelligence community. Very concerned about the nature of these approaches to the Russians."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apos-off-map-apos-apos-083004371.html
  • @275LB_NY_MCPO
    So, at this fine forum for investments and some side tracking of subjects to help one another; you choose to travel this path with these comments, eh?
  • Collusion is a beautiful thing...not against any law!
  • "Trump may not like how many people choose to buy German cars and he would like to slow the imports, but 2 out of his 3 wives were imports."
    Don't start what you cannot finish! I only want to talk investments!!! Catch sent me a private scolding!!!

• You noted:"Catch sent me a private scolding!!!"

What is this about?
  • You did not care for what I said...I did not care for what @slick said...you only called me out for my comments! Am I missing something here???
  • What is private about this forum..........?
    I'm wasting electrons on this end.
  • Finally, we can agree on something...your lack of electrons!!!
  • Even la Cosa Nostra ("our thing") knows not to go after families!!!
  • Even la Cosa Nostra ("our thing") knows not to go after families!!!

Maybe decaf after 6p, MCPO?
  • @AndyJ
    :) 15k calories/day and 15 cups of leaded only! It is all good, I love everyone!!!
  • >> ancient, impotent, dying religion of an ideology cannot beat a party whose candidate basically was filmed on national television beating the shit out of some fake ass news journalist
    >> your lack of electrons!!!

Oh, goody. I was so hoping your farce had not disappeared :) . Yay.