Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Multisector Fixed Income

I previously asked in the buying and selling thread about a broad range of funds (included below for context), but the more I think about it what I could really use some help with is pros and cons of various multisector/more aggressive core bond funds. Currently I'm invested in GIOIX, but hadn't realized that there were some other funds that were multi sector in nature but ended up in Lipper's core category (e.g. GIBIX, PIMIX, DBLTX, Performance Trust) and am wondering if folks have any favorite bond funds for total return they would recommend, or any thoughts on GIOIX. Thanks so much.

The below are in tax sheltered accounts:
Alternatives – QSPIX & QLEIX
US taxable credit – GIOIX
Global bonds – Templeton Global Bond

In taxable accounts:
Go anywhere - FPACX
Domestic large cap growth – POGRX
Foreign Small Cap - QUSIX
Domestic mid cap – VEVYX
Domestic small cap - PLOIX
Muni bond - MANKX
EM - SIGIX
Foreign large cap value - OAKIX
Foreign large cap growth – JOHIX

Comments

• @Josh
    Hi again. Three "muli-sector" funds that get a lot of coverage/attention, here anyways, are PIMCO Income, Loomis Sayles Bond and Fidelity Strategic Income (FSICX). Each has a different mandate, and each fulfills their mandate with different asset classes (LSBRX has been known to own stocks, etc.). I have owned LSBRX previously, and would again. Recommend you screen each (diversification, cost, etc.), and see how they could fill your portfolio's needs!
  • edited May 2017
    How about GLOBAL multi-sector bonds? PRSNX. Also, domestic multi-asset, not mentioned above: PTIAX.
  • Hi Josh!
    Good to see you posting. Just my 2c or your port in the tax sheltered account. Use the S&P 500. You're young.....use that to your advantage. In the taxable area, it gets tougher. You need to put a percentage in and divulge how long you have had your holdings. It's a tax thing....
    You say you will buy a house in a few years. Are you sure? FPACX I would cut; MANKX also. You want to make money, they don't. They're for when you're old. If you look at the port, POGRX and OAKIX is where I would put money for the future. As far as small and mid caps, I think this way trouble is coming. But long term looks good. I would say indexes, but with taxes and house coming soon, stay the course. As far as bonds, you're too young. Just my 2c.......
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Josh, I am confused about why you own what you already own, and did not trace back to the soon house-purchase plan. Depending on horizon, if you want aggressive multisector bond, just split b/w PDI and PTY, though both are cefs trading at a premium now, hence probably require time to reduce risk of loss.
    If you take the SP500 advice or go in the equity direction, buy DSENX and call it a day.
  • edited May 2017
    Thanks very much all, this is all very helpful. As far as why I have what I've got, some of it like FPACX and SIGIX I thought had pretty attractive track records and strategies, and in the case of SIGIX I do think that EM, and Int'l in general, is fairly attractive right now. Some of the stuff my wife has had for quite a while (like since she was a kid).

I do realize indexes might make a lot more sense, especially for large cap US, though with the market just being so high I'm reluctant to put a bunch into an index right now. Though I did see Sam Lee's piece in the WSJ on that point. When the Blackrock quant funds come out I might think about those as well

DSENX has seemed appealing for some time.
  • Hi Josh!
    You're married.....wife's money long time invested....good stuff. As far as 401 money, why wait? You can't get it for a long time. Tell me what beats the S&P over time. What fund that's as cheap as an index. As far as investing, now, I'm selling mostly....but I am waiting for the Donnie movies to come out: Donnie and The Russians, Donnie Does Korea, Doing Tax Cuts and HealthCare the Donnie Way. I say all that to say this: Are you ready for a pullback? Have you a plan where to add? If you do buy a house, then cash in the taxable port. I have only 1 fund in a taxable account. Save most of what you can in a 401. You can always borrow from it. There's no sin in that.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Josh: PONAX, and forget the rest !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Thanks for the thoughts there, we both max out our 401Ks and do 1 Roth conversion every year (we don't each do 1 so we can keep a bit more liquid for an eventual house - which is mostly motivated by the tax code, we live in a high COL area so we're even thinking of buying a rental property). The aversion to taxes is a big reason I'd think of stashing some cash in MANKX, though their short treasury futures position would be a drag on performance in an equity pullback. Perhaps a more core/laddered NY muni fund would be a better fit.

Speaking of pullbacks, a big reason for the large cash stake is the potential for a pullback. If so, and assuming it was fairly evenly distributed across risk assets, I'd probably add mostly via buying some low fee ETFs (either SPY, or a mix of IUSV and IUSG and their international equivalents) or perhaps the Blackrock quant funds, though I'm waiting to see some more information about them.

Appreciate all the insights, I probably don't need as much in fixed income, I confess part of it is just that there seems to be a lot of return potential there and a lot of smart managers in the space, but just investing with a smart manager isn't a good reason to be overweight credit over equities or rates.
  • Someone smart once said that the goal of investing is to pay as much taxes as possible (the reason will come to you).

>> what beats the S&P over time.

Thus far, a vehicle that algorithmically churns in that space.
  • edited May 2017
    You mentioned PTIAX. I'll keep it concise: you get a mildly rate sensitive holding, with some protection against an equity downturn, with 5%+ yield. I've not run across anything else like it, though the strategy isn't at all complicated or genius-level.
  • Hi guys!
    Lol----davidmoran......a most excellent post!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited May 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Someone smart once said that the goal of investing is to pay as much taxes as possible (the reason will come to you).

So you should live on a coast where you have the opportunity to pay more taxes on your investment earnings? :-)

Okay, I can see some sense in that. More high culture options (not forgetting the Chicago Symphony/Lyric Opera/Art Institute - another high tax state), better weather (at least the west coast and Hawaii; that state's got coasts too), and so on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/04/05/these-states-where-you-pay-most-taxes/100064034/

At the risk of repeating myself (from 2013), I think Jim Lebenthal said it better (or smarter): "It's not how much you earn that counts, it's how much you keep." Sometimes earning less leaves you with more to keep. Especially if you're investing with a moderately short term target in mind.

• No, my father's point (and not an original idea with him by any means), and his only point, was that it meant you had made a lot.
  • The performance of GIOIX and GIBIX are impressive. I seem to remember reading (but can't find it now), that Guggenheim's past performance, in part, could be attributable to favorable sector bets (might have been in asset backed securities) which might not be duplicated in the future. Does anyone have any recollection of this?