Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Real Estate as an Investment

edited March 2017 in Off-Topic
I have a friend who's a realtor who thinks real estate is a better investment than stocks/funds, etc because you can improve upon real estate, i.e., rehab it while you can't do that with stocks unless of course you're Warren Buffett and can buy a company in its entirety and "rehab" or restructure it. So my friend calls real estate an "active" investment and stocks etc. "passive," because you can't improve stocks which is funny to me as I have a completely different view of those terms in the fund world. I also see flaws in his argument because of the liquidity issue with real estate.

It's interesting to note that both real estate and stocks have speculator fans as there are TV shows/channels devoted to both--flip this house, CNBC/HGTV, etc. What I'm wondering is what board members' experiences have been. Have any of you had experiences rehabbing a house or property where it really turned out to be a great investment? I also suppose that for someone who is a realtor with an inside track on the hot upcoming neighborhoods and connections with the right contractors, the rehab experience would be completely different from what it might be for the average person. To me it seems like a high risk activity but potentially a highly rewarding one if you know what you're doing.

Comments

• Our household watches both TV channels, so we're experts! I have never rehabbed a property for re-sale, but I have put a lot of sweat equity into my dwellings. My reaction to your query is that real estate investing for an individual is a lot of work, most of which will go unpaid or at least underpaid. Most home repairs are easy to do the second or third time; it's that first time that kills most of us. All investments involve risks, but the lack of liquidity, as you point out, is crucial. If I buy a stinker of a stock, I can sell it and take the loss and move on. Not so with that charming tri-level that turns out to have a septic field on the neighbor's property. I like the odds with my "passive" investments although I might be jealous of property flippers when their market is favorable.
  • I've thought about using an IRA to invest in physical real estate for an income stream. For example, buy a condo or townhouse or 2 within an IRA, rent them out, and collect the income as taxable from the IRA. If you can make the rent minus costs be a positive 6-8% yearly from the investment, that is more than you can make from any other income stream. But as others have said, there is work involved to make that money.

I've had the thought but haven't pursued.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    I believe it is @rono who quotes Rothschild's advice about building and preserving wealth. 1/3 Rare Art, 1/3 Real Estate, 1/3 Securities:
    I read a quote from the Elder Baron Rothschild that to protect yourself against economic calamity, you should have 1/3 of your wealth in securities, 1/3 in real estate, and 1/3 in rare art. Define rare art as you wish, but it ain't Beanie Babies. With me, it's simple, I've collected coins since 3rd grade or about 60 years. I've had my best success in this arena. Ergo, I gravitate towards coins and pm's.
    There are also tax benefits to buying real estate, fixing it up, and either renting (for income) or sell (for capital appreciation). Managing the property for income allows the repairs and maintenance costs to be offset as a business expense. If instead, you live in the property for at least the last two years, then sell, your capital appreciation (to a limit) on the sale of the property is tax free.

nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-250000500000-home-sale-tax-exclusion.html

Additionally, recession tend to increase rental rates and make buying property more affordable, while growing economies tend to push up the sales and prices of property.

Like the equity market, the real estate market has it's cycle.

• My understanding is that real estate rehabbers hope to make 15%-18% profit margins on each flip. If they can complete the flip in 4 months the annual rate of return could be as high as 45%-54%. Problems happen when the market stalls out as the carrying costs and lower selling prices quickly chew through profits.

Nick de Peyster
    Undervalued Stocks
  • edited March 2017
    Off topic here I suppose.

We recently considered doing a 15-year refi for remodeling purposes under the supposition we could do better leaving our money invested. But ran the other way.

First, (mid February) we were quoted a 3.5% fixed rate (no points) which would have been nearly a half-point higher than the existing mortgage. They submitted an app to their central office (and dinged our credit report) based on a cursory talk with local agent (nothing signed). I attempted to cancel by phone and email the same afternoon.

About a week later they mailed a 20-30 page packet of Disclosure Documents. They had lowered their previously estimated closing costs, so I contacted them again. Than - they informed me that the 3.5% rate quoted in the disclosure papers was not firm, but would "float" for 5-6 weeks while the home appraisal was done and the loan finalized. There would be no firm rate until right before closing. I could still back out prior to closing - but the bank would not refund the appraisal fee if I did.

In a few years we'll perhaps long for the good old days when you could still get a 15-year fixed for 3.5 - 4%. Don't know. But where I am mystified is why they refused to lock-in the rate they quoted at the time the loan was applied for and which they put into their disclosure documents? When I asked, they said it had to do with "new federal regulations."

(Actually, having one's home ripped apart during a 2-3 month remodel is no fun anyway. Still may fund the project from investments, but not sure.:))

@Lewis - I've always thought real estate a good investment - provided one has a long enough time horizon. Of course, the best time to buy might have been in 2008-09. That said, I've known a few people who planned their retirement by doing something like what you propose. (Instead of flipping they rented.) All seemed happy - but the amount of work involved (as others note) is heavy. One alluded to having a good knowledge of plumbing and often having to fix things himself. Own a few vacant lots purchased in the 70s and kick myself often that I wasn't smart enough to buy-up more of them at the time.
  • MJG
    edited March 2017
    Hi LewisBraham,

Your closing comment precisely put the hammer on the nail: " ...., the rehab experience would be completely different from what it might be for the average person. To me it seems like a high risk activity but potentially a highly rewarding one if you know what you're doing."

My wife and I shared two house investment experiences in the 1970s that reflected the wisdom of your statement; we didn't know what we were doing. We paid a price for that ignorance. During our short holding periods (like 2 years), we rented the two properties. The rental fees mostly covered our expenses and we sold at a modest increase.

Like the market gurus say, property values increase at about the inflation rate except under very special circumstances. That was our limited and dated experience. We surely would have done better if we had invested in equities.

Also, maintaining and managing the properties proved to be a time sink. We made the mistake of buying in another town, so just visiting the houses cost transit time. We tried to minimize costs by doing our own repairs and painting. Again a huge time sink. The financing and tax situation was complex enough that we hired a professional accountant. That too reduced any potential profits.

Overall, we were playing a Loser's game so we stopped playing. All that was a long time ago and we were very young and naive owners. Perhaps times have changed to make small housing investments more attractive, but I doubt it. There are easier investment opportunities that are far less worrisome and less sweat demanding.

For diversification purposes we do include a small fraction of REITs in our family portfolio. The benefits don't seem all that great given the modest correlation coefficient of 0.7 to 0.8 between REITs and equities, and the high volatility of REITs. It seems like most Lazy Portfolio constructions include REITs, but only at a relatively low, single digit level. That's us too.

Thanks for your comments in this arena.

Best Wishes

• Your realtor friend is not thinking clearly, I would suggest, and 3.4% - 5.4% average annual appreciation over the recent decades, with stomach-turning volatility and complete location specificity, sure does not sound worth investigating to me. His logic about improvability as a plus escapes me as well.

http://michaelbluejay.com/house/appreciation.html , if the links and data are right.

Every so often you hear this sort of wack thing, like the uncle who tells you, or told you long ago, to buy land 'because they're not making any more of it'. Etc.
  • We own one rental property and thanks to leverage it yields much more than I could get in the stock market. In terms of appreciation, over long periods it should go up in low to mid single digits. All in all, it has been a good investment for us.

Although I know others, who had one bad tenant that did them in or ended up with a lemon of a house that was in constant need of repair. So I'd agree that it takes more maintenance than owning stocks, but it can work out well. Owning stocks is active in the sense that the company is investing in itself and growing to increase earnings. I don't like the way that your friend has framed it, but I can see that you have more decision rights in real estate than being a shareholder in a corporation.
  • In my TIAA retirement account, by far my largest asset, I hold 10% real estate at my advisor's recommendation. This is not a typical investment in REITs because TIAA actually owns RE. Five-year average annual return is 9.03%. Also have a small position in GFMRX, though it's nothing to brag about.
  • >> TIAA actually owns RE

can you elaborate pls?
  • My advisor said TIAA owns property and that their fund differs from ordinary real estate MFs, ETFs or CEFs that invest in stocks and REITs, but don't own property. I did not do any research into this but I guess I have assigned myself a report to post.
  • In effect, TIAA is a REIT, cutting out the middleman.
  • Thanks, LB, for cutting to the chase for me.
  • @MFO Members: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

Q&A with Phil McAndrews, CIO, TIAA-CREF’s Global Real Estate
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=TIAA-CREF:+Real+Estate+Is+the+First+Alternative&*
  • edited March 2017
    One thing also, TIAA is in effect a private REIT as it always trades at NAV--at the value of its underlying portfolio of real estate--instead of fluctuating above or below that value like publicly traded REITs. When public REITs are expensive, trading at a premium to NAV, TIAA will be the better option. When REITs are cheap, trading at a discount, they're the better value. It's also like a private REIT in the fact that it has limited access to only certain investors, although I bet its liquidity and fees are much better than normal private REITs. Also, like a private non-traded REIT, TIAA's returns should be a lot more stable than publicly traded securities. You basically get the income stream from the properties + property value appreciation without the share price fluctuation of publicly traded REITs. There can of course be depreciation in property values too, affecting TIAA's NAV but that price movement tends to be much slower than the daily movements in the stock market for public REITs.
  • Ted, thanks. Midwestern student housing and coastal houses. Huh.
  • Wouldn't you know that Jason Zweig's article in the WSJ appeared just a couple of days after this discussion ended? He explains that the TIAA Real Estate fund, and some others, are called interval funds. You can buy whenever you want, but can sell only at predetermined points (i.e., quarterly). If I'm not mistaken, the WSJ now offers a few articles for free before the paywall rises.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-real-estate-funds-try-to-make-concrete-liquid-for-investors-1489777175