Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fannie And Freddie Took A Big Fall, Will Bruce Berkowitz’ Fairholme Come Tumbling After?

FYI: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac shares took a nosedive Tuesday following a federal appeals court decision to stay a previous ruling that disallows investors from suing the U.S. government. The cases alleged that the government (taxpayers) illegally seized billions of dollars from the mortgage giants. Teresa Rivas reported on it Tuesday.

Over-the-counter shares of Fannie (FNMA) and Freddie (FMCC) slid 34.7% and 38.1%, respectively. Preferred shares were down similarly.

Call it a hitch – hedge funds and other distressed asset investors, who snapped up shares for pennies on the dollar expecting to get paid back won’t go quietly. Bill Ackman’s Pershing Square Capital Management is a major holder of common shares; Perry Capital and Bruce Berkowitz’ Fairholme Funds are major owners of the preferred shares.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2017/02/22/fannie-and-freddie-took-a-big-fall-will-bruce-berkowitz-fairholme-come-tumbling-after/tab/print/

Comments

• Fairholme's bets on Fannie and Freddie reminds me of Sequoia's bet on Valeant.
  • Fairholme's bets on Fannie and Freddie reminds me of Sequoia's bet on Valeant.

Sorry, but the situation is different here. Fannie and Freddie are profitable companies.

Sorry, but the situation is different here. Fannie and Freddie are profitable companies.

Yes, and the final outcome has not yet been determined.
  • Fairholme issued a response, weirdly, it's not on their website yet, but here, on Valuewalk: http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/02/fairholme-fannie-mae-court-pr/
  • I recevied an email because I signed up. They are saying "its not over". And the saga continues.
  • At the Valeant peak, Valeant was 32% of SEQUX portfolio.
    As of 11/30/2016, Freddie and Fannie were 35% of FAIRX portfolio.

These managers took huge bets.
  • Two big to fail ? NOT !
    Derf
  • @VintageFreak: And the sagging continues...
  • edited February 2017
    Old_Joe said:

@VintageFreak: And the sagging continues...

:-D
    M* Still has no clue. Shows down 2.83 today. Like Yesterday never happened. BUT YTD it shows it is still 12% up.

Why only FAIRX has this problem on M*. I think M* is waiting to publish a seriously negative comment on FAIRX. They were in love with SEQUX and still are. I think they have had a falling out with Berkowitz especially after they published their analysis. Berko is not happy, and even expressed in last conference call "5 years back M* thought I was great...." etc.

Anyways, like I said, I'm in Vegas and playing with the house's money. So I'm taking a chill pill.