Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying ... Selling ... or Pondering?

Comments

• @rono - Hope you're doing well. My question is why buy FSDAX when you could buy XAR? Do you prefer active mgmt. over an etf? As always, thanks!
  • edited March 2017
    ron said:

I gave up on AC as a good place for my money with our experience with AC Gift Trust.
    They f----d us.

Sorry to hear that.
  • johnN said:

hi rono
    hope you are good. Are you buying more gld/gold these days?

Hi john,

Just got a new hip from Santa J. Mesko and feeling perky. Hope you're also doing well.

I've been finishing the ATB hockey puck series, so yes. However, a lot of your annual world bullion coins come out this time of year just like the eagles - mapleleafs, libertads, pandas, britannias, etc. I like the different world crowns for sheer beauty, so if you're collector or a 'stacker' now is the time to get the new stuff. Besides, if you're a conspiracy type, you can call world crowns a 'collection'.

Prices have been relatively cheap lately and that also helps. With regard to the stock market and paper precious metals, if you will, I've just initiated a momentum play with the junior silver miners as noted in my previous postie.

Right now there is both maximum uncertainty and certainty in the geopolitical arena - pick your area. That said, it's not hard to play on the margin and not expose yourself to incredible amounts of risk.

We've muddled through worse than this - we'll muddle through this as well.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono

• Closed out JOHAX after another disappointing year. Adding to FMIJX in foreign large cap allocation. BTW, M* still has OAKIX as gold, 5 star but FMIJX has truly clocked it for three years.
  • @BenWP,

FMIJX now offers an institutional class, FMIYX at lower expense ratio at 0.84% and a minimum $2,500 (not $1M with most institutional shares). At Fidelity, it requires $50 to purchase this transaction fee fund. You can buy more later via automatic investment and $5 per transaction. This was made available late last year and I have made the switch.
  • Closed position in OAKEX. Considering ICMIX. Transfered from BMBIX into BMNIX
  • @JohnChisum Thanks! And good luck. Looks like a solid three to give you a lot of diversification.
  • Hi guys!
    You're the best, Skeeter! It's your thread and everybody knows it but you. Keep up the good work, big guy!
    Not much to say.....doing a lot of watching, but will say this: seems everybody is looking for a pullback. But....what if we don't get one? ..... really?......then, what will you do? Add more money or wait? I watched wealth track this morning......it's part 2. They seem to think things are getting better in the world. What is a good Japan fund? I haven't been over there in years. Might put a little in there. I see Josh Peters has a fund he's managing now: OARDX. Will keep an eye on it for a while. Also, at work they came out with a buyout package. Yep! They're going to pay us to leave. I feel like a politician being bribed......I like it!!! Also, where's Ted? The board seems slow without him around. Also, give me your best fund.....one you will die before selling. I want to make a list before going into an IRA and paying $2500.00 to open a fund. Now, with 401k, it's only $500.00, so I might add some before I retire. Why? Because I'm a lot like Bee. Also, is a bank loan fund or short term bond fund as good as a money market account for short term money? If so, what funds? Also, if I get lump sum (via buyout) and put into IRA, will I have to pay taxes? I assume "yes," but I had to ask. Anybody else been here before? Funny......at the meeting, about 100 people there....I might've known half of them. So many friends are gone. Didn't realize that. They leave over time and you forget. Got to stop before I cry in my beer.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited January 2017
    Pud said "Also, where's Ted? The board seems slow without him around."

Yes - I hope he's OK.
  • Puddnhead , I worked for a once great company, once the darling of the DOW, that downsized every year for almost 20 years. Went from 100k+ employees world wide to now just a few thousand. At different times they offered both buy-outs that were taxed as regular pay and buy-outs that could be rolled over into the company 401k or an IRA tax free. The difference was where the company was taking the money from to make the buy-out payment. Money coming out of the pension plan was considered tax free if rolled directly into IRA or 401k. Your employer should be giving you that very important information. I'm surprised Duke didn't tell you this :)
  • One suggestion to think about Puddenhead, if your buy-out is taxable and you want to put it into retirement savings, a Roth IRA would be a better idea than a regular IRA, at least for the Roth IRA yearly max (not sure what it is now). If you get it before April I believe you can max both 2016 and 2017 with the money. Just a thought.
  • PopTart said:

@rono - Hope you're doing well. My question is why buy FSDAX when you could buy XAR? Do you prefer active mgmt. over an etf? As always, thanks!

Hi PopTart,

Hope you're doing well. No major reason other than an account at fido. That made it easy. XAR is probably a better play. Thanks.

peace,

rono
  • Hi MikeM!
    Sounds a lot like us. We are a division of a worldwide company that's been downsizing for years also. The HR Dept. is all new.....less than 90 days....so this whole thing was poorly presented. Have gone to HR.....told them what you said. They called corporate to confirm. Yes, it can go to an IRA tax free because it came out of the retirement pension fund. Thank you very much, Mike!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • I did this same thing a few years back with a pension. I got the check in the mail and had a certain time period to get it into the rollover account. I had contacted my fund company earlier so they made notes on my account. It all went smoothly.
  • Updated article:
    Where to Invest $10,000 Right Now
    https://bloomberg.com/features/2016-how-to-invest-10k/
  • edited January 2017
    Back on the topic of what we are BUYING / SELLING /CONSIDERING...

I had loaded up on yieldy stuff when it sold off after the election (muni-CEFs, Pimco taxable CEFs, preferred-CEFs REITs). In the past couple of weeks, I rotated out of those that went up the most (e.g. PIMCO muni-CEFs), and replaced SOME of those proceeds into other muni-CEFs which had not participated so much.

With the remainder of the proceeds, I've been opening/re-entering what I presume will be lower-beta bond OEFs (e.g. PMZDX, SPFPX) and adding to my positions in ACVVX - a pretty decent market-neutral fund and PIMIX (Pimco Income). -- Basically trying to lock-in some gains and dial-down some of the beta in my fixed-income positions to lower-beta options.

In my 401k, will likely be selling down my 27% allocation in PTTRX; proceeds into the SV.
  • Sold about 1/3 of my shares in one account of PJP and traded them for MDY. I had some shares in PJP that were still in the 30% profit range, kept those and sold off the shares with losses. I still have plenty of health care in 2 mutual funds (2 separate accounts) but see more opportunity in small and midcap right now.
  • edited January 2017
    @bee - Nice find (Where to invest $10,000). Fascinating short read.

- Had a little loose change at the start of year to invest. Followed Ritholtz's lead by throwing it at an international index fund.

- Never liked Bernstein in the past - but thought his advice here made more sense than any others.

- The rep from Vanguard, I thought, seemed to be selling the shop a bit.

All of them interesting. Thanks for the link.
  • bought little of bond cusip 40414LAE9 Reit healthcare recently
  • edited January 2017
    Sold FOSFX, may move it into DLEUX as available.
    Sold DVY in rollover (= shorter horizon) IRA following this latest runup; may put into PDI and PONDX in some combo, perhaps in combo w FRIFX.
    SP500 p/e now ~26; can't help thinking retrenchment soon ahead.
  • Sold BUFTX and bought REGL. Only MF I have added to recently is DSENX. In the past 12 months have moved more $ into ETFs: XMLV, CAPE, MOAT and in most cases sold MFs. Looking at DEULX, however.
  • edited March 2017

Wanna buy a bridge? (Oops - make that a wall)
  • edited January 2017
    Hank : If it keeps climbing it may make a new all time high !
    OH Oh wrong ticker, used parfx Derf
  • RPMGX clipped the threshold for a haircut in the taxable account, so a third of the proceeds went to a T, VZ add on and the rest to dry powder. This completes my telecom allocation.

It was almost exactly 2 years ago for a similar haircut for TR Price Mid Cap Growth ...what a great fund, IMHO.
  • edited January 2017
    Presently feeling like a deer caught in headlights. Not doing much. Also elder princess not making her mind where she wants to go for College so trying to raise some cash for 4 years (yeah I'm going to keep all of it aside). Maybe she'll just go to the local school where she has full scholarship, maybe she won't.

So buying some more FPNIX and RPHYX with some of the money as lower risk play instead of keeping it all in cash. And now, just received proxy for voting to allow fund to purchase securities held by board and manager for FPNIX.

Hmm....thinking...
  • Dipped my toes in the water with XAR today with the idea that Trump and the GOP led Congress will pump more money into industrials/military. Just a little hunch in that direction. Not devoting a big play there as I typically don't buy sectors.
  • @willmatt72,

I think your hunch is a good one.
  • @davidmoran - what do you think the future holds for FNMIX? I'm up and hate to sell, but I respect your opinion. In PONDX and PDI with a smaller IRA, but 403B is with Fido.
  • edited January 2017
    For the longer term I imagine it will have chugged along fine, but I recently read somewhere (something trustable, it seemed) that advised against EM bonds for the shorter terms. I would hold for diversification unless these are moneys you are going to be needing in the next ~3-4y. I myself have losses going back a decade such that I never mind taking profits. My own FI holdings, which I should increase, are cash plus a combo of PONDX, PDI, and FRIFX. If I were more prudent I would do the usual suspects instead (FSICX, DODIX, FTBFX, BOND, BND, etc. etc.).
    I would generally advise equities only in any IRA but I take it you're going to be withdrawing soon.
  • edited March 2017
    Derf said:

Hank : If it keeps climbing it may make a new all time high !
    OH Oh wrong ticker, used parfx Derf

@Derf .. Doesn't matter what ticker.