Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying ... Selling ... or Pondering?

edited January 2017 in Fund Discussions
Hello,

Yesterday there was a request to start an new thread on the subject of "What Are You Buying ... Selling ... or Pondering?" Although, I picked the thread up to keep it going after another poster left the board I want everyone to know any member who feels inclined can start the thread should they feel a need. I have held back, on purpose, to see if there were others that would like to join in to keep it going? Please, in the future don't wait on me to open it.

Skeet

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Although I posted this in another thread, I found Jeffrey Saut's weekly commentary interesting especially his most recnt one titled "Buy C-R-A-P"which stands for computers, resources, American banks, and ...

Read his commentary in the link below to learn more ...

https://www.raymondjames.com/wealth-management/market-commentary-and-insights/investment-strategy

With this I have now begun the task to estimate just how much of this good thing I have in my portfolio. Looks like I'll just add up the sectors this stuff falls in.

I wish all ... "Good Investing."

Skeet
  • I sold off an 8 year holding of MAPTX in an IRA. I have enough EM exposure with ODMAX and GPROX. Proceeds to go to a high yield bond fund. Purchase of FARNX in a ROTH. Long term holdings of IVWIX and FPACX are up for review and possible replacing.
  • bought little of CANADIAN NAT RES LTD NOTE CALL MAKE WHOLE 7.20000% 01/15/2032 cusip 136385AC5 last wk
  • I know this is mostly mutual funds, but I also read a couple of stock newsletters too, esp dividend oriented ones and pick up a small position when something sounds cheap or reasonable. I missed GM last month so bit on CVS rather than add to VIG or VDGIX.

Added to POLRX 12/30 after I sold some of my much appreciated indiviual stocks (since 1998!) to take advantage of capital losses last year and diversify a bit. More to VASVX NCAVX and but afraid I missed a lot of the rally.

Still very uncertain what to do about Fixed Income. I am concerned the burgeoning inflation pressures will destroy anything but short term bonds, but at yields of 1% why bother? Surely this news is baked into the prices, but if you believe standard ideas, the 10 year returns on Intermediate Bonds will only match their current yields.

Sure hope the Winklevoss's Bitcoin ETF gets approved... It would be fun to speculate a little Buy at $400 sell at $1000! One billion Chinese investors can't be wrong!
  • Yesterday, I added a slug to SFGIX. That advances this holding to a full position, and completes my allocation for EM equities. I'm considering bumping up EM debt by adding to TGINX, but haven't pulled the trigger.

For all else, I'm still sitting on a pile of cash and am waiting for the overdue pullback. Admittedly, this held back performance last year to about 6%, but I'm happy with that.
  • Sold DLFNX DL Core, put it in MSCFX Mairs & Power Small. And a smaller chunk in PNM. Sold out of TRGRX and put part of proceeds in PRDSX, PRSNX and PRIDX. Remainder went into TRREX. But Real Estate continues to suck. So I'll wait the required 90 days to avoid the 2% in-and-out fee and will put proceeds in some various other TRP funds I own, again. Holding SFGIX. Will add through the year to MAPOX.
  • edited January 2017
    55% in bank loan fund BXFYX and 45% in junk corporate IVHIX. Bank loans are overloved and overbought while junk corporates are just overbought. Since 12/08 my goal has been to beat the S&P total return trading bond funds and with minimal drawdown. Except for 2013 made my goal. Something tells me unless 2017 is a bear market for stocks, I will fall short of my goal this year.
  • Hey @Crash

This may spike those real estate investments a bit more. One may have been better off with movie theater chains and one of the 6 remaining studios...........going, going, gone.
    'Course this is just one area.

http://www.chinabusinessreview.com/breaking-ground-chinese-investment-in-us-real-estate/

Regards,
    Catch
  • I continue to DCA into SFGIX through my 401K at work. I'm very confident with the fund's management and think the sector is pretty beat up at the moment.
  • edited January 2017
    Two trades late December:
    Sold remaining shares of PRNEX - up 25% in 2016.
    Bought PIEQX - up 1.43% in 2016.
    Sell high. Buy low.

"Nobody's ever made money in commodities."
  • Recently sold: EIFAX
    Recently bought: GWMEX

Corp High Yield 42% (IVHIX, BHYSX)
    Bank Loan Funds 30% (HFRZX, BXFYX)
    Muni High Yield 28% (GWMEX)

I sold EIFAX and have been easing into GWMEX. EIFAX had a good 2016, but it has been lagging. Muni junk has been looking better.

My portfolio of solely bond funds was up 12.26% in 2016. But I can't hold a candle to @Junkster records of beating the S&P.
  • edited January 2017
    My portfolio of solely bond funds was up 12.26% in 2016. But I can't hold a candle to @Junkster records of beating the S&P.

I posted my returns on Bogleheads last week (Trader/Investor) and talk about close 12.36% which reflect our similar style. Those higher commissions Scottrade instituted last year take a toll and the last many months I have done very little in and out. I have found it has helped my bottom line staying the course and getting those dividends being fully invested. Of course not much volatility either the past many months so not a lot of reasons to make many moves. That suits me just fine. Good luck in 2017. As always I am fearful and not complacent.
  • catch22 said:

Hey @Crash

This may spike those real estate investments a bit more. One may have been better off with movie theater chains and one of the 6 remaining studios...........going, going, gone.
    'Course this is just one area.

http://www.chinabusinessreview.com/breaking-ground-chinese-investment-in-us-real-estate/

Regards,
    Catch

I appreciate the info, Catch.:)
  • After the distribution period and first of the year, I condensed my port from 9 funds to 3 funds concentrating on income and income and growth. This gives me roughly a 40% exposure to equities.
  • edited January 2017
    Since, the topic has move to portfolio and investment performance Morningstar reports my investment return for 2016 at 10.1% while my brokerge house reports my combined account(s) returned 8.3% for the year which includes my sizeable cash position of about 20%. My bogey, the Lipper Balanced Index, is being reported to have returned 7.0% for 2016. With this, I score myself successful for the past year although my return fell short of my five year average return of 9.0%. I use my five year average return rate to help set my portfolio's annual distribution rate. Generally, I take no more than a sum equal to one halve of my five year average return.

My best performing sleeve for 2016 was my small/mid cap sleeve found in the growth area of my postfolio with a return of 38.7%. The next two best were found in the growth & income area of my portfolio with my domestic equity sleeve which returned 16.8% which edeged out my domestic hybrid sleeve with a return of 16.6%.

Seems though some of you active bond fellas (Junkster & SlowLane) left me snockered with your returns. I am happy with my return so I know you two have to be excitied with yours.

For infromation purposes and according to Instant Xray my portfolio bubbles at 20% cash, 25% bonds, 34% US stocks, 16% foreign stocks and 5% other as I open 2017.

Wishing everyone "Good Investing" as we move through 2017.

Again, nice going @Junkster & @SlowLane!

Old_Skeet
  • First time purchase - MOATX.
  • First time purchase - MOATX.

Glad that this is your first purchase - would've been a rough go the past several years...

• I am pondering EKBYX, whose manager is Margaret Patel, and which StockCharts.com calls Evergreen Balanced Fund.
  • @Old_Skeet - You did well and stuck with your methodology. I like a bond-only portfolio because of the lower maximum draw down, which was 0.8% vs 8.5% for the S&P in Feb 2016.

I hope we all do well in 2017.
  • Hi @Tony
    About Evergreen:
    >>>Evergreen Investments was the investment management business of Wachovia. The brand was merged into Wells Fargo Advantage Funds and subsequently phased out following Wells Fargo's acquisition of Wachovia. The brand was officially retired on July 20, 2010.
    So.........this fund, EKBYX is Wells Fargo.

Regards,
    Catch
  • After the distribution period and first of the year, I condensed my port from 9 funds to 3 funds concentrating on income and income and growth. This gives me roughly a 40% exposure to equities.

Goodness, you ARE brave!
  • OK, Catch, thanks. I just prefer looking at the Evergreen name on my chart.
  • JoJo26 said:

First time purchase - MOATX.

Glad that this is your first purchase - would've been a rough go the past several years...

Well I wanted to purchase beginning of last year, but just forgot. That was a mistake.
  • @Crash,

I invest on the edge of daring;)
  • edited January 2017
    @JohnChisum

Would you feel comfortable sharing what those 3 funds are? You're clearly an experienced investor.
  • Howdy,

Post election I've moved on the margin into FSDAX, FSRFX, PRJPX, PRSVX and both DE and FCX. On the for giggles side of things I'm now playing the silver juniors again with small positions in SVMLF, AUNFF, SZSMF and TKRFF. Please note that these are nose bleed penny stocks.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • hi rono
    hope you are good. Are you buying more gld/gold these days?
  • @expatsp,

Sure. All my $ is with American Century. The funds are AMJVX, BIGRX, and ALNNX.
  • I want to add to DSEEX but see that I am ~75% equities, which is too high, so I don't know what to do. (I know what to do, just don't want to.) I just read the detailed and carefully substantiated Goldman analyses of conditions for 2017, which are optimistic. I will move some more cash into PONDX, PDI, and FRIFX, though not FNMIX.
  • I gave up on AC as a good place for my money with our experience with AC Gift Trust.
    They f----d us.