Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gold

What is causing the price of gold to move up?

Comments

• Howdy Bobpa,

Just a suggestion. If you want to get some answers, you need to frame your question in a more precise way. The POG responds to dozens of different factors. This makes for a very complicated answer.

Just on an outside thought, right now, there is some anticipation of an increase in inflation in the coming months. This is being tempered by a strong post-election dollar. However, in the grand scheme of things, precious metals are relatively inexpensive right now.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • What is causing the price of gold to move up?...

More buyers than sellers.
  • edited December 2016
    Today the Sellers/Profit Takers Moved In
    TGLDX
    Quote data as of close 12/29/2016
    NAV Change
    $34.58
    +2.03 (+6.24%)

Quote data as of close 12/30/2016

TGLDX TOCQUEVILLE GOLD FUND $33.77 -$0.81 -2.34 %

52 Week NAV Range $22.25 - $47.92

@ today's close
    1 Week Change 8.20%
    1 Month Change 0.78%
    3 Month Change -20.63%
  • Not sure what your time frame is for up. Miner stocks have had a good year on their roller coaster ride as shown above by TGLDX ( I think TGLDX is one of the very few if not only PM fund that does hold a very small amount of real gold), up around 40+% in 2016. Gold on the other hand is up around 18% for the year. But both these funds/ETFs are down considerably since summer. I believe TGLDX was up in August 2016 to about 100%, so it has taken a drastic slide since then. GLD is down around 15% in that same time period, August to now. Over the last 10 days, GLD is up around 2% if that is the 'up' you mean.

I'm just not seeing a clear up trend... yet. And as an investment, IM<HO, gold may be an investment, miners are very, very speculative.