Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Exxon Chief Expected to be Pick for Secretary of State

2»

Comments

• edited December 2016
    "Trump isn't draining the swamp. He is bringing in his own alligators."
    @MikeM- That's excellent! Will find lots of use for that one. Thanks! :)

"Sorry if I may have inadvertently contributed to the mayhem"

@hank- Strongly in favor of mayhem. Just so it's reasonably classy mayhem. :)

• Edmond said:

I've no particular familiarity with Mr. Tillerson. Presumably one doesn't reach the chair of the world's largest publicly-traded energy company without formidable skill-set.

You would think that wouldn't you. A man that has had to know something about the economic and political situation in most countries around the world would be thought of as a good candidate. Maybe he needed to be married to a president of the USA at one time to be really qualified.

• "Until 2008 not a single earthquake had ever been recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey from the Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) area, where Wallace has lived for more than 20 years. Since then, close to 200 have shaken the cities and their immediate suburbs. Statewide, Texas is experiencing a sixfold increase in earthquakes over historical levels. Oklahoma has seen a 160-fold spike in quakes, some of which have sent people to hospitals and damaged buildings and highways. In 2014 the state's earthquake rate surpassed California's.

Seriously, how long has the USGS been around. Meaningless information dressed up as science.
    http://www.bestsyndication.com/?q=20100122_united_states_fault_line_maps_earthquakes_seizmic_activity_east_coast_midwest.htm

If this was a discussion about the depletion of the aquifers the earthquakes would have been blamed on that.

• edited December 2016
    "Seriously, how long has the USGS been around."

Seriously, since March 3, 1879. Your comment and link are irrelevant, so at least you are maintaining your usual standards.
  • >> Keeping commentary here free of unnecessarily inflammatory and gratuitous insults seems a reasonable tradeoff to insure maintenance of our rather long leash.

Not only wise but elegant !
  • @davidrmoran- I mulled over my response to DH with respect to that rather reasonable standard, and concluded that accuracy is exempt. :)
  • yeah

b/w DH and Edmond, the work ahead is plain. Define reactive.
  • yeah

b/w DH and Edmond, the work ahead is plain...

REPLY: Indeed. Obama has left a YUGE mess.
  • Not near as YUGE as the one left to him. My, some memories are very short.
  • OJ, and part of the work is ignoring the Edmonds
  • ...My, some memories are very short.
    Joe, are you still blaming the most incompetent president in modern history, George Bush, and the 8 years of a Republican administration who blindly let the economy slide into the worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression?

Yeah, me too. I don't think Edmond's memory is very good. Could things be better after 8 years of Obama? Of course, if congress could have worked in a bi-partisan effort. But that would have gone against Mitch McConnell's self stated goal, make Obama a one term president. But in noooo way is this country as messed up as in 2008. Let's face it. "Govment" is F'ed up and the next 8 years will be just as controversial.
  • The thread is about Trump's pick for Secy of State...

Today, Aleppo fell. It's been labelled a genocide.

Red lines drawn. Red lines ignored. Speak toughly and carry a toothpick. Obama. HRC. Kerry. Handmaidens to the genocide. Not that different than Bill Clinton's thumb-twidling in Rwanda 20 years back.

Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. The Obama diplomatic legacy.

• We finally have a Commander in Chief. Not a Soros puppet who disdains the military.
  • @JohnChisum- John, I sincerely hope that we won't have to regret those words.
  • More ignoring work! To think that DT does not disdain the military, bwahaha
  • edited December 2016
    That's what's so very scary. He is an unstable, egotistic personality who has no concept of scaled, incremental or subtle use of power. He shoots from the hip & lip first and wonders if he was aiming at the right target later, if at all.

My greatest fear is that Mr. Trump will recklessly order the military to take a major action which the more prudent senior officers will realize is a disastrous mistake, thus possibly leading to the first serious military/civilian confrontation in our history. This man is a volatile, unpredictable potential menace to the security of the United States: similar to Rodrigo Duterte, the equally unstable president of the Philippines.
  • OJ,
    That he is not the thoughtful and patient BO is what the shortsighted care about.
  • The great thing about all this fear mongering is that in the future no one will go back an point out how wrong they were.

What the old timers have deleted from their memory is that what is being said about Trump is very similar to what was said about Nixon, Reagan, Bush and Bush. Those same people like to think about themselves as intelligent, open minded and analytical. B
  • Know anyone whose child was killed in the Bush wars? Or indeed in the Nixon wars?
    Do you think the Reagan huge deficit runup (forget the lies and senility and illegal clandestine dealings) had any lasting econ effects?
    Get serious and substantive, or just pipe down. Again.
    Trumpy is different. Just read up a little bit. Again.
  • edited December 2016
    Read? Me?
  • Interesting ... The Nixon War ... not the JFK or LBJ ... read more ... very interesting.
  • So Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria are Obama's wars now.
  • edited December 2016
    Children please, most of us are of an age that we lived through this stuff and know the truth even if our memories aren't quite exactly right. In other words - we all are who we are. The Exxon guy is what it is.