Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Top Fund Makes The Value Case For Verizon

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
The GoodHaven fund rides the value resurgence with holdings like Barrick Gold, WPX Energy, and Leucadia National.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=A+Top+Fund+Makes+the+Value+Case+for+Verizon

Comments

• I've been looking at Verizon... though their planned acquisition of Yahoo makes me a bit nervous.

As for the Barron's interview with Goodhaven, I found the following comment from one of the Goodhaven managers rather bizarre:

"..A customer with high-definition channels and a decent cable package could be paying $200, $300 a month. That leaves room for Verizon to raise prices."

Maybe my pennypinching is showing, but shelling out $300 for a bundle strikes me as exorbitant. And room to raise prices from there? I'd be looking to switch providers.

• I pay $180 odd right now for FIOS phone, cable and internet. In Feb I'm up for renewal and my bill will go up $60. Have a decision to make.

Charging $300 is too high. If that happens, will give up my landline and TV and then pay whatever I need to for internet.

I think this barron article signaled market top.
  • $300 a month is insane but I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who may be paying close to that.

Every time my Internet/Cable package is up for renewal with Comcrap, I negotiate a new deal. Don’t know if this is an option for @VintageFreak with FiOS - there are also 3rd party services that will negotiate for you for a fee of 50% of the savings.
  • How is this considered a top fund? Check out their performance during the past 3 years.
  • I have AT&T and pay $143.50 which includes all taxes and surcharges for internet, tv and phone. My cell phone is billed under another plan.
  • edited October 2016
    Ol Skeet,

That looks attractive. How is the Internet delivered?

By satellite or cellular 4g? Or does AT&T have access in some areas to cable? Thanks
  • edited October 2016
    @hank,

This is through their U-verse package ... here is the 800# ... 877-403-2042 ... don't forget to ask for their specials. While this is available to me in Charlotte, NC ... it is not in Murrells Inlet, SC. You will just have to call to find out avaibality.

My U-verse TV (200) @$82.50 along with internet @$27.00 and phone (nationwide calling) @$24.90 are all delivered through the phone line. This was the special rate for me @$134.50 which has now ended. My new rate will be $143.50 going forward.
  • Concur that $300/month for combo package is a bit too much.

We eliminated the landline and replaced it with a cell phone plan (2 lines with 1Gb data plan - $80 Verizon). Don't have to pay for long distance calls. Cable TV and Internet package from Comcast for $90.

One can shop around and prices is dropping as more competition is available. Depending where you live cable service may not be available. Same goes for cellular services.
  • edited October 2016
    Our underground cables date back to the early '60s. So pretty worthless. We receive DirecTV satellite (owned by ATT) with a decent package (but no HBO or premium channels) for under $90. Use Cricket wireless 4g (owned by ATT) for Internet & phone. Cricket costs $65 a month, including 10 GB of data, hotspot for multiple connections, and unlimited calling/long distance. XLink connects the cell phone to our regular phones & answering machine. Works well. The device: https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Technologies-BTTN-Bluetooth-Gateway-Black/dp/B0018NWQPK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476032748&sr=1-1&keywords=XLink

A couple small providers offer Internet via antenna. Setup & equipment are expensive, and they're still not competitive with Cricket, unless you need a lot of of bandwidth.

On the larger issue, I don't follow many trends. But utilities and REITS have been in the news this year because of outsized returns. Seems investors have been piling into them for their yields and as a replacement for low yielding bonds. Often, by the time the average investor hears of these trends they've pretty much run their course.
  • 'Top Fund'?
  • @VF, call and ask for retention packages and incentives. Tell them you are gonna bail, absolutely. They will come up with something, believe me.
  • edited October 2016

I pay $180 odd right now for FIOS phone, cable and internet. In Feb I'm up for renewal and my bill will go up $60. Have a decision to make.

Charging $300 is too high. If that happens, will give up my landline and TV and then pay whatever I need to for internet.

Maybe I've had one too many tonight, but I can't make $180 and $60 come to $300, no matter how many times I add them together.
    ---

@VF, call and ask for retention packages and incentives. Tell them you are gonna bail, absolutely. They will come up with something, believe me.

Yes - That worked with DTV for us once. They substantially lowered our monthly rate for a year. Suspect it would work for VF. Solves the problem for a while - perhaps not a long term solution.