Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do Upside And Downside Capture Ratios Predict Mutual Fund Performance?

FYI: The importance of actively managed mutual funds in the financial sector has led to substantial research focused on their performance. The overwhelming evidence is that it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to identify ahead of time the shrinking percentage of active managers who will outperform in the future. Among the reasons for the difficult nature of this task is that so few managers succeed, and that it’s difficult to separate skill from luck.
Regards,
Ted
http://mutualfunds.com/expert-analysis/do-upside-downside-ratios-predict-mutual-fund-performance/

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Most active managers do not outperform their index. Why any more research is needed? Maybe we will also see research paper on other performance metrics that will reach similar conclusions.

I should have spent couple more years and got a PhD. Searching once is nothing. Searching twice is "Re"search.
  • Active management is cyclical. Just wait until we have a downturn. You'll see active managers perform pretty well, relatively. That said, I'd still stick with the most inefficient areas of the market for active, and not waste my risk budget on efficient areas (e.g. domestic large caps).
  • Up/down capture does not predict performance. It is simply one tool to confirm how active a fund really is and how successful the manager has been during given time periods compared to other funds.
  • @JoJo26, I hope you noticed that during 2007-2008 crisis vast majority of active managed funds did not offered any downside protection. Only a handful did not lost as much by holding large % of cash. Many did even worse than their respective indexes.

For those who have sizable domestic high quality bond allocation (60/40 allocation), their loss is limited to ~20%.

The upside/downside ratio are interesting statistics and backward looking. Thus they have little predictive value (in my humble opinion) in picking winning funds.

• Again, that is why I stick to the most inefficient areas of the market for active management...
  • it has value but only if it's used with one fund and that fund is VWINX. otherwise, it's all a crap shoot, no matter what metrics are used to try to predict the future.
  • We often see references in M* to funds that provide downside protection. Is there strong evidence that there is an investment strategy in which it is possible to invest in funds which have as an objective downside protection but at a cost of foregoing a share of market returns?
  • Managers that emphasize quality.
  • edited September 2016
    I certainly have tried to chose managers that emphasize quality, but in the last cycle some funds like DODBX which were supposed to provide adequate downside protection did not. This again is forcing me to question my assumptions about the use of historic data.
  • edited September 2016

I certainly have tried to chose managers that emphasize quality, but in the last cycle some funds like DODBX which were supposed to provide adequate downside protection did not. This again is forcing me to question my assumptions about the use of historic data.

-
    @tarashanta, In the last down cycle financials were especially hard hit (I recall a high number of bank failures and "shot-gun weddings" where the FDIC pressured troubled banks to merge with healthier ones). Unfortunately, Dodge and Cox was heavily into financials at the time.

I was in DODBX and was like you disappointed. However, it's recovered nicely for those who stayed the course. What I find personally interesting (as owner of some of their funds) is that several of Oppenheimer's supposedly "less risky funds" did even worse than DODBX during the '07-09 period. Their "Core Bond" fund lost around 40% during that period If memory serves me correctly - even more than the more aggressive DODBX. Same for their "Capital Income" fund, also off around 40%.

I've heard that history often rhymes, but doesn't exactly repeat. Next time the market swoons it will likely be started by some other sector. The experience with DODBX might possibly sway some to diversify more broadly rather than putting all their eggs in one basket. (But that's another issue.)
  • It has recovered, yes, but still lags well behind OAKBX and FPACX (say) for 10y and 20y, and behind FPURX and VBINX for 10y.
  • ron
    edited September 2016
    I give more weight to performance 3 years and a few funds I've owned over 10 years.. At age 82 I don't have a alot of time. Other than index funds I only own VWINX-HBLIX, PRBLX, POGRX, PRWCX, VEIPX and GTLLX and 2 bond funds PIMIX and TGEIX.