Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DoubleLine's Gundlach: Gold Remains Best Investment In 'Shaky' World

FYI: Jeffrey Gundlach, the chief executive of DoubleLine Capital, said on Wednesday that gold remains the best investment amid fears of instability in the European Union and prolonged global stagnation, as well as concerns over the effectiveness of central bank policies.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-doubleline-gundlach-idUSKCN0ZM25Z

(As Of 7/5/16)
GLD: 27.61% YTD
SLV: 43.90% YTD
CEF: 45.65% YTD

Comments

• Jeff was recommending the gold miners in November, 2012. He rode them all the way down and is now riding them up, but he is still way under water. In November, 2012, GDX was 45.93 and it is now 30.57.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2012/11/30/gundlach-likes-gold-miners-and-hes-not-alone/

Of course, you will never read about his bad forecasts in the media, es[pecially from Reuters. They are afraid to point out his bad forecasts because he may not give them interviews any more.

• My world is always shaky.
  • MOZART325 said:

Jeff was recommending the gold miners in November, 2012. He rode them all the way down and is now riding them up, but he is still way under water. In November, 2012, GDX was 45.93 and it is now 30.57.

http://blogs.barrons.com/stockstowatchtoday/2012/11/30/gundlach-likes-gold-miners-and-hes-not-alone/

Of course, you will never read about his bad forecasts in the media, es[pecially from Reuters. They are afraid to point out his bad forecasts because he may not give them interviews any more.

excellent, MOZART325
  • I think the problem is that he doesn't draw a line for why gold will go up.

Is it because people in Europe and Asia will be buying gold and abandoning cash?
  • Isn't Jeffrey Gundlach's call on gold kind of late when precious metals is near the top? Hindsight is 20/20.
  • edited July 2016
    Just fyi, JG said the chart for gold looked like a bottom in January, during the Just Markets web cast; this isn't a new "call." (I'm not making a claim that everything that comes out of his mouth is gospel.)
  • With DSENX I have entrusted significant partial moneys w Gundlach, but man, this makes me think he is kind of a dope sometimes. Gold, seriously, ever?
  • With DSENX I have entrusted significant partial moneys w Gundlach, but man, this makes me think he is kind of a dope sometimes. Gold, seriously, ever?

David, the way to think about JG, in my humble opinion, is that he's about as good as they come in his core competency - translating reams of data into successful, for the most part conservative strategy on fixed income - but he just can't resist throwing around opinions on stuff that's outside that competency, a lot of it in kind of an offhand way that's just barely tethered to any sort of evidence. To me that's a clear conclusion from tuning in to his webcasts on a regular basis.
  • Haha, I am sure you're right. Thanks much. I have not given him such attention.
  • AndyJ-
    I agree that Jeff has some talent in trading fixed income mortgages. The problem is that he is getting distracted from his core competency and recently is focused more on getting media attention (along with Bill Gross who has the same problem). Year to date, Gundlach's biggest fund, DBLTX, is ranked in the 92nd percentile by Morningstar. If he continues ranking in the bottom 10%, people will eventually stop calling him a bond guru. That's what happened to Bill Miller.
  • edited July 2016
    Hear More Next Week !
    More Thoughts from Mr Gundlach in Tue.July 12th Webcast

Asset Allocation Webcast

Please join us for a live webcast titled "Asset Allocation" hosted by:

Jeffrey Gundlach

Mr. Gundlach will be discussing the economy, the markets and his outlook for what he believes may be the best investment strategies and sector allocations for the DoubleLine Core Fixed Income Fund (DBLFX/DLFNX) and Flexible Income Fund (DFLEX/DLINX).

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

1:15 pm PT/4:15 pm ET/3:15 pm CT

Register
    https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1085766