Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do You Drink Soda, Pop, or Coke?

MJG
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Well, do you drink soda, pop, or coke? How you answer that question provides a clue of your geographic upbringing within the USA. How do you say Mary, Merry, and Marry? This question further refines the location estimate.

Harvard and other universities have studied linguistic pecularities extensively and have developed a long list of candidate test questions. These have been assembled into a series that has a high likelihood of pinpointing where you spent your formative years.

They are fun to take. Here is a Link to one such test:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=9827

This is not the most sophisticated of this type of test, but it is one that demands little time yet seems fairly accurate. Even after many years, when visiting the ocean, I don't go to the beach; I go to the shore. Given all our internal location displacements, these clues must becoming less reliable. However, they still seem to work.

I hope you take the test and enjoy doing so.

Best Regards.

Comments

• Don't forget "tonic," pronounced "tawnic" in the Boston area(r).
  • How about soft drink?
  • Just took the test, and it was accurate for me.
  • I grew up in MS but the Q/A produces:
    "Which American accent do you have?
    Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for."

Where I never lived.
  • I don't care what you call it, so long as It's The Real Thing™

I've lived much of my life in two regions of the US, several years in a third, and a few years in a fourth. The quiz didn't come up with any of them for me.

It seems to think that on the whole, I would rather be from Philadelphia. I've spent a total of four hours my whole life there (giving a business presentation). But the quiz was fun nevertheless.
  • Way too coarse, though there are other, finer filters, as someone pointed out.

Born and reared in southern Ohio and long transplanted to Boston, I was pleased when Larry Bird arrived with the Celtics and spoke without an accent :) .
  • @MFO Members: I drink Coke, keep it in the Fridge, blow my nose with Kleenex, and Hoover the rug !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

I gave up drinking soda, pop, tonic, Coke, Pepsi or whatever, 25 years ago. Instead my cool down summer drink of choice is seltzer or water. Don't need all the sugar or cancer causing artificial sweeteners.

Do you say seltzer and salsa ("seltza" and "selsa") similarly, like in that Seinfeld episode?

:-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wicked Pissah!

After you pahked yuh cahr in Hahvuhd Yahd, near the Squayah, celebrated no doubt, with a frappe or tawnic - unless you hit the packie first for some beeyahs - then had a sub, steemahs or pizzer!
  • I always chuckle when I remember one of my first clients who told me, "I want one of them there C-Ds!"
  • Americans who have become completely fluent in another language usually lose their regional accent. I found in my academic career that a strong regional American accent hindered language learners. Maybe they could not hear themselves and were as a result unable to mimic speakers of another language. Language learning is in such a deplorable state here, however, that American regional accents are little threatened.
  • A San Francisco accent is Northeastern???