Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jeff Gundlach Says Prepare For Debt-Fueled Trump Presidency

FYI: Trump's promises on immigration, jobs means debt to rise
Manager recommends buying mortgage REITs, shorting utilities
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-04/jeff-gundlach-says-prepare-for-debt-fueled-trump-presidency

Comments

• I don't want what he's smokin'.
  • edited May 2016
    Similar to some of the comments he made in an interview with a Swiss paper several weeks ago:
    http://www.fuw.ch/article/negative-interest-rates-are-the-dumbest-idea-ever/
  • edited May 2016
    Quote from the "Swiss paper" article:

"What’s his campaign slogan? Make America great again. What that means is let’s go back to the past, let’s go back to the 1960s economy. So he might spend a lot of money on airports, roads and weapons. I think Trump would run up a huge deficit. Trump is very comfortable with debt."

So the Republican Congress is all of a sudden going to roll over and give Trump anything he wants? What money does the Executive Branch have access to, in order to spend on all of that stuff? Does Gundlach have any idea how Federal spending really works (or doesn't)?
  • I don't want what he's smokin'.

I have to agree. I don't think "spending out of it is in Trump's cards".

• Don't you guys realize the Mexicans are gonna pay for all this stuff?:)
  • So short utilities and go long mortgage reits. I'm a huge Gundlach fans re mortgage bonds, but he has some wild ideas outside that box. Let's all meet back here in a year and see how that trade worked out. I doubt it will be pretty.
  • I am still hoping that one day Gundlach starts a mutual fund focused on his larger investment ideas such as what was mentioned in the article, his call a few years ago to short Apple and the yen, going long India over the long term, etc. It would be interesting to follow.
  • Well, his stock fund (admittedly run by someone else DL) recently closed, not to new investors, plain closed. Gundlach's best ideas are in his hedge fund which is part of a sleeve in Rivernorth/Doubleline Strategic Income Fund...and Rivernorth sometimes reports on that sleeves specific performance. Done pretty well lately. But sometimes Jeff says things for shock value, I think.
  • edited May 2016
    Sounds Like He Listens To Glen Beck
  • God help us!
  • @MFO Members: We better get use to it, because like it or not Trump will be our next president.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: Which is why I'm memorizing O Canada...
  • TedTed
    edited May 2016
    @PopTart: I think I need to do the same !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @PopTart
    Well, at least we are already close enough to one of the bridges for crossing; and best of all, we already speak Canadian, eh???
    There are videos on youtube if one chooses to start learning the language now!
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Oui, only a 30 minute drive from A2...
  • Ted, make a wager!
  • If Hillary softened her stance on weed, she'd win by a landslide.
  • edited May 2016
    Trump's ascendancy will be good for alcohol sales. I'm drinking more already.
  • ? - you have seen the Cocktail Party posters -- Make American Drunk Again

I'm in

(went through this before, though, '64, '68, '70s, Reagan....)
  • edited May 2016
    Trump has an ego the size of the universe. Four bankruptcies in his history. Ya, a great businessman. Jesus. Clueless about basic political HIGH SCHOOL stuff. It shocks me that so many support a Trump presidency. Like Rooster Cogburn, they "have been taken in... by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop..." Go straight to 1:30 into this film clip to hear it from the horse's mouth. The Coen brothers' remake is way better than the original, by the way.