Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Larry Swedroe: Ignore Gundlach’s Forecasts

FYI: When I worked as an investment banker selling, among other things, economic forecasts, I was given the following advice: If you are going to forecast, forecast often, because eventually you’ll get one right—even a blind squirrel occasionally finds acorns.
The financial media anoints as an “expert” any forecaster who happened to get the last forecast right. However, as Jason Zweig, a columnist for The Wall Street Journal, pointed out: “Pigs will fly before you’ll ever see a full list of the expert’s past forecasts, including the bloopers.”
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/swedroe-ignore-gundlachs-forecasts?nopaging=1

Comments

• even a blind squirrel occasionally finds acorn
    How true! He needs to focus in managing his funds now that the Total Return fund is lagging his peers including the benchmark.
  • rjb112 said:

Ted said:
    Can anybody access this article?
    I'm not able to

• edited April 2016
    Sven said:

even a blind squirrel occasionally finds acorn
    How true! He needs to focus in managing his funds now that the Total Return fund is lagging his peers including the benchmark.
    DBLTX and its real peers - intermediate-term (IT) mortgage funds *** (e.g., TGLMX, SGVAX) - are pretty much all in the same boat, lagging IT diversified since February, when mortgages, especially mortgages a few rungs down in credit quality, started being pressured. Dbl's diversified IT bond fund, DBLFX, is doing pretty well in the category.

I've commented before, and it may bear repeating because of the recent mortgage weakness, that JG's old total-return mortgage fund, TGLMX, is very competitive with DBLTX. If I were looking for a TR mortgage fund, I'd be tempted to choose the former over the latter.

*** Lipper classifies DBLTX more accurately as a "U.S. Mortgage" fund, versus M*'s categorization with broad IT bond funds. I'm guessing the M* category is why, Slick, you concluded that it's lagging its peers in the short term.
  • @MFO Members: It appears that since I linked the Swedroe article on the 22nd, ETF.Com has gone to subscription of articles after a couple days for free.
    Regards,
    Ted