Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Words - from the managers of PRWCX

edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
"One of the fundamental truths that the market fails to grasp is that the lower valuations go, and the cheaper these assets become, the lower the risk of loss over the intermediate term. In fact, the period in which the risk of loss is greatest is during those euphoria periods when valuations are high (significant valuation downside), sentiment is positive (and can only get worse), and the future seems bright (the future is far more uncertain than the market understands)."

Annual Report, December 31, 2015
T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation Fund
http://individual.troweprice.com/gcFiles/pdf/arcaf.pdf

(uncovered wading through a bunch of (print) fund reports I had intended to read earlier )

Comments

• Through the up and down cycles David Giroux has been doing a solid job among the balanced funds

• Very true. People freak out during market drops, but longer-term, that's the best time to buy, and on a purely capital appreciation basis, indeed, the downside risks are lower then than at any other time -- unless the stock goes lower, obviously. But if you like something at 50 and nothing's fundamentally changed with it since you bought it, then you should love it at 30, and buy even more. ;) The key thing is to keep your cool, not panic, and be opportunistic with an eye on the LONG TERM while tuning out the 'noise' of the markets, no matter how loud it can get .... which admittedly is a learned skill and hard to master!
  • beebee
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @hank. I own PRWCX as well as another moderate allocation fund BRUFX.

Just received the Bruce Fund's End of Year Report and their management analysis included this:

"We believe that the worldwide economy remains fragile, and is likely to produce
    slower activity. With lackluster growth and excessive leverage, the risks are to the
    downside and we feel caution is warranted. Lower commodity prices along with slower
    growth will likely dampen future investment activity, and thus a more conservative
    posture is also warranted.
    A few statements attributed to Abraham Lincoln are especially true today as they
    relate to the current economic situation:
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
    You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
    Management continues to screen investment opportunities for their long-term
    capital appreciation potential versus the risks that investment might present. Areas of
    recent interest have been utility stocks, U.S. treasury bonds, larger capitalization and
    dividend paying stocks.
    The bonds as well as the stocks in the portfolio encompass
    significant investment risks."

thebrucefund.com/files/documents/Bruce123115SemiAnnual.pdf
  • edited March 2016
    Hi bee

Very interesting. Yep - Those end of year reports seem to arrive very late. I find I digest them better in the print format for whatever reason. Might be because I'm inclined to flip back & forth between different sections.

Curiously, the PRWCX report (linked) was dated 12/31/15 and yet contained reference to the downturn in January '16. My take was that Giroux was "jumping with joy" at the stock sell-off and contemplating putting some of the fund's 15% cash to work.

On another note, Giroux was overweighting junk bonds, which he viewed as a good value (top tier stuff), but the managers of RPSIX were at the same time underweighting junk, which they saw as risky due to the oil implosion. I can only conjecture that the disparity has to do with time horizons. PRWCX may be looking farther out.

Closing: I feel I learn a lot from reading all these different views, though in terms of actionable advice (if that's what one wants) it's always a mixed bag.

• Those Lincoln quotes are astounding thoughts to cite from such successful investors. Obviously household guidelines, which have zero applicability to a largely self-dealing economy.
  • I got the Bruce Fund report also. The analysis is terse and seems to be saying we don't waste any shareholder dough on good paper. It's so flimsy it won't even serve to get a fire going in the fireplace. At least Barron's is good for that purpose.
  • beebee
    edited March 2016
    BenWP said:

It's so flimsy it won't even serve to get a fire going in the fireplace.

That's funny...I remember as a kid when generic brand products were sold in white packaging with simple black lettering like, "Macoroni & Cheese"... or,

Bruce's fund and website reminds me of that simplicity.
  • If you bought Bridgeway Ultra-Small Company Portfolio BRUSX in the mid-90's (I think it was JM's first fund) you got a simple wad of 8X11 paper stapled in the upper left corner. I saved one for each of my kids and put it in their plain old manila file folders.
  • edited March 2016
    The classiest looking reports I ever got were those from Strong Funds and The International Gold Bullion Exchange (IGBE). Large glossy full-color documents on high quality paper. Very impressive.
    For those too young to remember: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1985-04-13/news/8501140217_1_james-alderdice-william-alderdice-sentence
  • Forgive me if my mind deceives, but I recall an old article that posited that the army with the best looking uniforms usually lost the war.
  • I was a Bridgeway shareholder in the day… Montgomery's letters were kind of tedious. I still have BWLIX.
  • hank said:

"One of the fundamental truths that the market fails to grasp is that the lower valuations go, and the cheaper these assets become, the lower the risk of loss over the intermediate term. In fact, the period in which the risk of loss is greatest is during those euphoria periods when valuations are high (significant valuation downside), sentiment is positive (and can only get worse), and the future seems bright (the future is far more uncertain than the market understands)."

Annual Report, December 31, 2015
    T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation Fund
    http://individual.troweprice.com/gcFiles/pdf/arcaf.pdf

(uncovered wading through a bunch of (print) fund reports I had intended to read earlier )

Forgive me if I sound stupid here but isn't he only saying that a overvalued stock can fall further then a fairly valued stock?
  • edited March 2016
    the opposite of stupid, seems to me :)
  • edited March 2016
    A+ Sandra. You get it. Mr. Giroux, however, doesn't seem to think it's quite as obvious to folks as you do.
    In fact, he calls it: "one of the fundamental truths that the market fails to grasp".

Congratulations to you for understanding how simple the concept really is.

• It bothers me when managers or pundits give the "market" human characteristics. People or the software they invent buy and sell securities. The market does not grasp or misunderstand anything, it has no desire to climb a wall of worry, nor is it anyone I'd want for a friend.