Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Glitch or cyberattack at Morningstar?

All screwed up. It won't allow me to get to the page using my bookmark. I can look at an individual "snapshot" of a fund, then (sometimes) navigate to my portfolio. Try to refresh, and my browser (Firefox) tells me that "the page is attempting to do X, Y and Z in a way that will never complete."

Like the Dem Iowa Caucus, last night, eh? FEELING THE BERN YET, HILLARY?

Comments

• M* has one of the worst websites I've encountered in terms of overall reliability and user friendliness. It has been horrible for years, and nothing seems to change.
  • Probably server overload due to the market... everybody trying to access resources at the same time. That's in addition to the other well-known M* issues.
  • I've been having the same trouble for at least 24 hours and I think longer, but I just saw the following on the website-

"Portfolio Manager is currently experiencing a service disruption. Our team is working to fix the problem as quickly as possible. We’re sorry for the inconvenience."

I was unable to get to my portfolio at all so I guess they've taken it down to try and fix the problem.

Anyone want to make guesses as to how long it takes before we have access again?
  • "The page you visited does not exist". Oh-Oh.
  • edited February 2016
    All the money lost today was just too much for the poor p/m to handle.
    Can websites suffer nervous breakdown? Or maybe panic attack? :)

PS: Set up a second portfolio somewhere else for occasions like this. Google's is decent and easy to set up.
  • When it DOES function most of the time, I find M* to be easiest to adjust, edit and add and delete and all that stuff... It's fine, now, tonight.
  • we can get an ETA only on any server maintenance. As an admin I know the server may not come up as planned, after a maintenance, due to issues not known earlier.
  • @Crash

Presuming you are a paying subscriber at M*, as you noted having a "my portfolio", yes?
  • Crash is a long time fan of PREMX, and I too had it for about a year+, so must be using gratis thru TRP
  • I maintain my portfolio at both Morningstar and Yahoo. For daily tracking purposes I use Yahoo ... and, for reports and analysis work I like to use Morningstar. All my funds (currently 47) seem to update at Yahoo by 7:00 PM EST and most of the time before then while at Morningstar some funds that I own have had stale data lasting into several days.
  • @Old_Skeet
    Not being a M* subscriber (so, I don't know); does one need to subscribe/pay to have a "my portfolio" at M*???
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • @catch22, no, you don't have to pay to have a portfolio at M*. The limitations on the number of portfolios and positions within each portfolio are more generous if you pay to subscribe. Some of the details about a portfolio are also limited to paying subscribers, like the top 100 holdings vs. the top 25 for a fund and I think the country level detail vs. region is also limited. You also can't x-ray your portfolio without paying if I remember correctly. If you check M*'s portfolio page I think it's fairly obvious what you have to pay for because those things are labeled with an + inside a box with an arrow to the right.
  • edited February 2016
    Hey Catch... no, there's a free version also, which usually works pretty well, but with the well-known occasional lack-of-update glitches. The (also free) Google version is usually pretty dependable, but M* has a YTD column, and Google does not. BTW, M* seemed to recover shortly after I posted last night. I agree with Catch that the M* version is easy to "adjust, edit and add and delete and all that stuff". To their great credit, neither M* nor Google seem to use their information to pester me with advertising or junk email.

Not wanting the actual value of the portfolio to be available to either M* or (especially) Google, I just show one share of each stock or fund in the portfolio lists. That's all you need to get a listing of the current prices. I then copy and paste the list into our spreadsheet, which does all of the actual calculations.
  • A followup on @dicksonL’s post, TRP offers access to Morningstar Portfolio tools including X-Ray for users on its website. You can sign up even if you don’t own any funds through TRP.
  • @Old_Joe said
    February 2 Flag
    Probably server overload due to the market... everybody trying to access resources at the same time. That's in addition to the other well-known M* issues.

Just wait for Ted Cruz to fix these well known issues ?

IRS computer problems shut down e-file system
    Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY 8:58 p.m. EST February 3, 2016

The Internal Revenue Service suffered a "hardware failure" on Wednesday afternoon, which left many of its tax processing systems unavailable Wednesday night, the agency announced in a statement.

The agency stopped accepting electronically filed tax returns because of the problem. The outage could affect refunds, but the agency said it doesn't anticipate "major disruptions."

"The IRS is still assessing the scope of the outage," the agency said. "At this time, the IRS does not anticipate major refund disruptions; we continue to expect that nine out of 10 taxpayers will receive their refunds within 21 days."

The IRS.gov website remains available, but "Where's My Refund" and other services are not working.

Some systems will be out of service at least until Thursday, the agency said. "The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible," the IRS said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/02/03/irs-computer-problems/79792890/
  • Yeah, everything's gonna be great with Cruz.. I can hardly wait! :-D
  • catch22 said:

@Crash

Presuming you are a paying subscriber at M*, as you noted having a "my portfolio", yes?

Hello! I'm granted premium because my total over at TRP is beyond a particular threshold these days.:)

• edited February 2016

@Old_Joe said
    February 2 Flag
    Probably server overload due to the market... everybody trying to access resources at the same time. That's in addition to the other well-known M* issues.

Just wait for Ted Cruz to fix these well known issues ?

IRS computer problems shut down e-file system
    Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY 8:58 p.m. EST February 3, 2016

The Internal Revenue Service suffered a "hardware failure" on Wednesday afternoon, which left many of its tax processing systems unavailable Wednesday night, the agency announced in a statement.

The agency stopped accepting electronically filed tax returns because of the problem. The outage could affect refunds, but the agency said it doesn't anticipate "major disruptions."

"The IRS is still assessing the scope of the outage," the agency said. "At this time, the IRS does not anticipate major refund disruptions; we continue to expect that nine out of 10 taxpayers will receive their refunds within 21 days."

The IRS.gov website remains available, but "Where's My Refund" and other services are not working.

Some systems will be out of service at least until Thursday, the agency said. "The IRS is currently in the process of making repairs and working to restore normal operations as soon as possible," the IRS said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/02/03/irs-computer-problems/79792890/

A-ha! There's someone I know who was on Facebook after attempting to do something. She said the IRS website was a black hole. I wouldn't even attempt anything that way. "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Ya, government OUGHT to be doing that, at maybe some even have the best of intentions. Between cost-cutting and whatever else, it's all way more trouble than it's worth, surely. In several months, I start SS. (End of summer.) Should I go to the downtown office? Or attempt to initiate it online? I'm looking forward to the checks, but not the process.