Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Art Cashin: "Signs Computers Heavily Involved In Sell-Off"

Comments

• HFT via computers. Art, that's not news.
  • Always struck me as a Yogi Berra without the "say-what?" zinger quality especially in these short CNBC segments. He is very observationally knowledgeable given his long tenure and exposure to trading. But insights, I am not so sure.
  • @vkt: Being rather new to the MFO Discussion Board, I want to inform you of the consequences of casting aspersions on Art.
    Regards,
    Ted

• Is that you, Ted, with the whip or a surrogate?
  • @vkt Over the centuries, Ted has developed a thing for Art. It is incurable, and incontestable; he's kinda sensitive about it.
  • Art's commentaries and Ted's posting of them have been ridiculed in the past, once to the point where Ted stopped posting them until we asked him to resume. Ted (if I recall correctly), for whatever reason, once even left the board until we asked him to return.

So, let's all go easy on Art and @Ted and hope that they understand that these comments are just good natured "giving them the business". Thanks, Art and Ted, for all that you do, including giving everyone "material" for these comments!
  • @Bitzer: I'm also just having some good natured fun in my response to @vkt.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2016
    Any jabs at Art I may have made in the past were only meant in good humor. Let's be careful not to put Art up on a pedestal - or any other commentator for that matter. But Ted's welcome to post Art or anything else he wants far as I'm concerned.

Computers involved in the sell-off?
    I'm shocked.
  • Yes, @Ted keep those posts coming! Those who aren't interested in a particular topic are certainly free to scroll past (I believe we've had that discussion, as well, in earlier threads).
  • hank said:

Any jabs at Art I may have made in the past were only meant in good humor. Let's be careful not to put Art up on a pedestal - or any other commentator for that matter. But Ted's welcome to post Art or anything else he wants far as I'm concerned.

Computers involved in the sell-off?
    I'm shocked.

(Best film ever made, by the way.)

• I figured @Ted was having fun than a heavy bromance with Art. Perhaps it is both. Given what I suspect is the major demographics of this forum, I would expect members to take exception to slights on Liz Ann Sonders than on Art ...:)

Walking into the forum without a historical context is like walking into a strange small town where everyone is married to or divorced from another with baggage.

Have been surprised at bitter animosity towards Ted in a few posts. Towards the obvious trolls, I understand, but Ted seems to be doing a thankless job as I understand he is not getting paid for this.

Perhaps a bit premature to form an opinion as yet but Ted reminds me of the Clint Eastwood character from the movie Gran Torino, grouchy without being bitter if not let alone to do his thing, not going to take orders from anybody, not always PC but good-hearted even if it is sometimes hidden and willing to do the right thing when it comes down to it.
  • @vkt: Thanks for the kind words, and I forgot to welcome you to the MFO Discussion Board.
    Regards,
    Ted
    P.S. I'm better looking than Clint Eastwood !
  • @vkt: Uncanny! What a great analysis in so short a time.
  • I'm reminded of a vintage Bloom County strip where the little Mac is bowing in front of the wood console TV saying "Forgive me for I have sinned."
  • vkt said:

Always struck me as a Yogi Berra without the "say-what?" zinger quality especially in these short CNBC segments. He is very observationally knowledgeable given his long tenure and exposure to trading. But insights, I am not so sure.

No value in Art's comments. He adds gravitas to weightless comments.