Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FRAGILE or FRA-GEE-LAY use a crowbar and a hammer, eh? The global equity markets.....

edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
I'm reminded of the below scene from the movie, "A Christmas Story" in regards to the global equity markets and the crowbar and hammer method.

Sitt'in here looking at our mix that has been in place for the past few years for the most part.

---53.5% bond funds

FRIFX (about 50/50 real estate equity/bonds)
DGCIX
OPBYX
FTBFX

---44.5% equity and stocks

ABC (Amerisource Bergen-Health care distribution)
DPLO (specialty pharma)
FHLC
FSPHX
PRHSX
GPROX
HEDJ
ITOT

--- 2.0% raw cash

We obtained a +.8% return for 2015 and watching the crunch so far this year. Reminds one of the fall/winter of 2007 and into the spring of 2008.

Me thinks I'm getting closer in thinking to VWINX for 80% of the portfolio and live dangerously with the remaining 20%.
Well, at least in the beginning. I have not met or known anyone who goes "cold turkey" on their portfolio without being concerned about personal withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps the 20% would satisfy this silly desire.

VWINX is still hanging in there with -1.36% ytd. One year returns as of 1-19-16 numbers, we've mustered a -3.6%. Conservative allocation is -5.6% and moderate allocation is at -6.7% per M* as a category average.

But, we have not sold anything yet.

Well, anyway......a bit better today for some of the above holdings. But, not walking down the investment staircase without holding onto the railing. LATE note: real estate equity took a beating today, too.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• From a recent post:

Old_Joe said: "Welcome to the grade-school land of Dex. Best to totally ignore the troll."
    And Catch asked: "Geez folks.....................don't you become a bit tired of ripping off pieces of one another; and for what benefit???"

Must be your turn in the troll's barrel, Catch!
  • Old_Joe said:

From a recent post:

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.
    Rodney Dangerfield

• Old Joe said no such thing, troll.
  • Hi @Dex
    I don't follow the relationship of the OMG, Sky is Falling image you posted with what I wrote in the thread. Is this your opinion image about the markets in general or is it related to the wording of what I wrote?
    Help me out here; so that I may improve my writing method, if needed.
    Thanks.
    Catch