Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Ten Fattest States in America

2»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    @Scott Gaffigan's pretty funny. I'm not a kale lover either, but there are plenty of other vegetables that cooked right taste delicious.

@VintageFreak, I think class really plays into this. It's one of the reasons I find celebrities who talk about their healthy lifestyles insulting. They have the money for personal trainers, their own chefs, health club memberships, healthy organic food and, crucially, the time to exercise and cook for themselves and thus avoid more convenient but totally unhealthy fast/processed food. This article highlights why the poor tend to gravitate towards unhealthy fattening food: npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128621057
    There is a way to eat healthy on a very low budget, but not many poor people know about it and it isn't necessarily the most pleasant experience. The healthiest thing I think someone with a low income can buy is beans--black, pinto, etc--and rice. They are very cheap. There is a book that came out recently--the name escapes me--on how to eat healthy on little money. It is inspiring some poor obese people to change their diets, but for many food--and cheap unhealthy food in particular--may be one of life's only pleasures. It's hard to tell someone with little hope to eat kale and beans instead of Little Debbie cakes and Big Macs. Those foods are addictive, cheap and simply taste better to many people.
  • @LewisBraham It's one of the reasons I find celebrities who talk about their healthy lifestyles insulting. They have the money for personal trainers, their own chefs, health club memberships, healthy organic food and, crucially, the time to exercise and cook for themselves and thus avoid more convenient but totally unhealthy fast/processed food.

Me, too...and then after they lecture us, they have a cigarette...ala Gwyneth Paltrow.

You sound like you have a particular fondness for Little Debbie cakes;)
  • edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

I looked at Chipotle's menu. I've never been to one. Thought I'd build a kid's meal.

Kid's Cheese Quesadilla, with corn tortilla and cheese, filled with carnitas, guacamole, white rice, pinto beans, chips and an organic chocolate milk.

1200 calories, 474 calories from fat, 48mg of cholesterol, 23.5 g of sugar, and 1460 mg of sodium.

Didn't want to forget the kids.

Chipotle nutrition

Thank you, exactly. People somehow have confused "quality" with "healthy" at Chipotle and think they can eat it like there's no tomorrow. I've always compared it with the "The Non-Fat Yogurt" episode of "Seinfeld".

• edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2015
    @LewisBraham: I follow nearly same : pinto/black/red/lima/navy/garbanzo beans for variety and keep the target interest alive, and tortilla/fajita etc.(no stuffing- only the shell) ( rice is not countable: so may miss the target): from3 to 2 to 1.5 tortilla per meal: gradual reduction is feasible- that was my trick.
    @Maurice: Calories recommendations are more challenging to estimate
    The trick here is have a fixed menu for few days and with exercise, if you lose even .5 pounds in a week, you are on track. Now the objective is to keep the exercise steady and gradually reduce the intake of food. No need to have exact calorie measure. You can exchange items in your menu to stop monotony.
  • It's not just Americans. The Chinese now have a massive diabetes problem, residents of Okinawa are no longer living long lives, and almost any place where American culture has taken root the eating patterns change and health declines.
  • That's why I watch independent cinema. Very few celebrities are afraid to bite the hand that feeds them.

Almost funny to hear after we tried to export our version of Democracy to some nations, we are now exporting our diseases not directly, but by influencing their habits. I think we might have done an excellent marketing job with Cigarettes too. Its declining her but flourishing in the orient.

This video always blows my mind

• edited September 2015
    Lewis said (somewhere back there): "... for many food--and cheap unhealthy food in particular--may be one of life's only pleasures. It's hard to tell someone with little hope to eat kale and beans instead of Little Debbie cakes and Big Macs. Those foods are addictive, cheap and simply taste better to many people."
    -

Yes. It's all so true. Probably one of the most unhealthy, but least expensive and most satisfying meals is macaroni and cheese. Geez - tons of starch, lots of saturated fat from the cheese, often enhanced with butter or other oil. Look at the calories and cry. But it's cheap, filling & easy to throw together. I'm sure somewhere in the distant past this was considered a healthy food. BTW: A tablespoon of virtually any oil contains approximately 120-140 calories. Doesn't really make a difference if that's butter, olive oil, canola, peanut oil or what. The calories per tablespoon are pretty consistent.

Lack of knowledge, lack of money, and having "too many mouths to feed" all contribute to obesity. Probably underplayed is the role of alcohol dependency in the weight issue.