Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Biotech Bombs, Suffers Worst Weekly Decline Since ’08

FYI: A rocky week for the broader stock market has inflicted serious damage to exchange-traded funds that track biotechnology stocks.
The $8 billion iShares Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (IBB) fell 6.5% recent trading on Friday.

The ETF has fallen each day this week, bringing its total five-day decline to 14% — the biggest weekly drop since Oct. 2008, the height of the financial crisis.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfunds/2015/09/25/biotech-bombs-suffers-worst-weekly-decline-since-08/tab/print/

Comments

• A pretty impressive and orderly deflation of the biotech bubble...at least to more reasonable levels.

Will need to compile a possible shopping list for Monday.
  • When everyone makes the same bet, and there is a rush for the exit, it isn't pretty.
  • The bios with no earnings really got crushed. The entire group suffered though, as the ETFs brought the whole group down without discriminating.
  • let us know what's on your list, okay?
  • linter said:

let us know what's on your list, okay?

Celgene (CELG) and Gilead (GILD) are the primary two that I have as long-term holdings. Amgen (AMGN) is also worth a look at these levels. Celgene has basically given investors guidance out to 2020 and while it's not a major part of their revenue, Celgene is interesting from the standpoint of you have a biotech that basically is picking and choosing what it believes are compelling possible collaborations in a lot of the smaller (and some larger names.)

Not an up-to-date chart, but gives an idea:

Guidance:

Gilead is now trading with a 10 p/e, so there's that (plus a massive buyback in place.)

I do think you have to have a longer-term view for these names, because the second anything even remotely concerning is associated with a possible problem for the biotech industry, people just absolutely flee like no other sector in the market.
  • I might suggest adding REGN to GILD and CELG as cornerstone holdings in the biotech space. I will be adding to ETNHX as a basket.

Not to be overlooked is a stock I've held for many years which is now available for what I consider to be a bargain price, and that's JNJ. And you get a growing divi which is currently 3.2%.
  • thanks, all!
  • edited September 2015
    PRESSmUP said:

I might suggest adding REGN to GILD and CELG as cornerstone holdings in the biotech space. I will be adding to ETNHX as a basket.

Not to be overlooked is a stock I've held for many years which is now available for what I consider to be a bargain price, and that's JNJ. And you get a growing divi which is currently 3.2%.

REGN is an excellent choice, too. JNJ is down quite a bit, as is ABT. The latter - I think - is particularly penalized because of its significant EM exposure.