Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are The Hottest Mutual Funds This Year ?

FYI: As the stock market approaches the three-quarter pole for the year, small-cap mutual funds dominate the pack of front-runners. Six of the 10 top-performing U.S. diversified funds are small-cap funds, says Morningstar Inc.
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MjA0ODMzMDU=

Enlarged Graphic:
http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=MFdiv_150918.png&docId=771607&xmpSource=&width=429&height=380&caption=&id=771606

Comments

• edited September 2015
    A commendable list Ted. Of course, on a percentage basis of all available funds, this group of leaders represents only a very small number.

I'm not aware of anything I own that's up year-to-date, with the exception of PRWCX which was still about 3% above water as of yesterday. Price's ultra-short, TRBUX probably is, but I'm not currently in it.

Even my most conservative (income focused) funds are down: RPSIX, TRRIX & DODIX, each by a percent or so. In the case of the first, it appears their 12.5% allocation to PRFDX (equity-income) is really hurting. (That fund is off around 8% YTD).

My two balanced funds, DODBX and RPGAX, are both down - but the second by only a small amount.
    ---

Brings to mind the Depression era line, "Brother, can you spare a dime? "
  • MCXAX is volatile, but my best performer. Don't know if it's considered "diversified".
  • Over 10% of the portfolio in TVIX. MCXAX could get have some nasty mean reversion, but I'm amazed that leveraged volatility is finally in a mutual fund wrapper.
  • I'm most pleased with my closed end preferred funds, FFC, PDT. Not a lot more of anything.
  • edited September 2015
    A 6% front load and 2% ER for MCXAX - and comes with a one-year track record.
    Umm ... I'll have to sleep on that one before sending $$.

But the +45% YTD looks appealing!
  • >> Over 10% of the portfolio in TVIX

Wow, plus loading. Wow. Must keep an eye out, though.
  • @hank NL, NTF at Schwab.
  • @davidrmoran be sure to drink some Pepto-Bismol before you buy it! Ulcer-inducing fund!
  • edited September 2015
    Many HC funds are plus double digits still this year. I tend not to examine YTD figures too often, so was surprised to see one of the stalwarts, RPMGX, up almost 7%. In both taxable and after tax accounts, it's one of those funds I just don't need to worry about.
  • edited September 2015
    MCXAX dropped over 6% last Friday. I think this is just a highly leveraged fund and the manager had gotten lucky. This is just impossible otherwise.
  • @VintageFreak yes, as I've stated, it's not for the faint-hearted. And some days, it's up over 5%. The challenge is knowing when to put in more money. I have a small position in it...probably .00001% of my portfolio. It keeps things interesting! Always a surprise to see how it's done on any given day!
  • Wait a second. $2500 minimum. Multiply by 100,000. Oh....

Are your retired in Cancun? No? WTF not?
  • PRESSmUP said:

Many HC funds are plus double digits still this year. I tend not to examine YTD figures too often, so was surprised to see one of the stalwarts, RPMGX, up almost 7%. In both taxable and after tax accounts, it's one of those funds I just don't need to worry about.

Not quite 7%. However, you have to be kidding me. Not worry about it. You should worry. You got RPMGX, I got BOPAX. I sold some BOPAX.

I would rather be lucky than good. Rather, the moment I start thinking I'm good...I worry about that moment.

• @VintageFreak didn't do the actual math...I don't live in Cancun...just wanted to emphasize that I own a VERY small position in MCXAX, so unless you want ulcers, don't put a lot of pesos in it!
  • @VintageFreak didn't do the actual math...I don't live in Cancun...just wanted to emphasize that I own a VERY small position in MCXAX, so unless you want ulcers, don't put a lot of pesos in it!

Hey, you were the one who said 0.00001% not me:P