Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Value Or Growth for Bottom Fishing?

Just wanted to get a feel for what fellow Observers think. Would you bottom fish with a Growth Fund or a Value fund? If this sell off is a head fake, or even otherwise, do we have any insight into whether Value or Growth will do better with the next upward move?

I'm loathe to bottom fish with Gold or Oil or Biotech. I think picking diversified value or growth might be better option. For instance, I want to look into buying Value Index or Growth Index funds.

Any insights appreciated.

Comments

• You're likely to get as many opinions as responses. And everyone's response will be very personal according to their situations. I have given your question a great deal of thought as I am caught between a 401K rollover.

For me, fund purchases will simply be for funds who I had previously identified as best of breed in their specific allocation areas IMO. I don't think the market has been selectively rewarding/punishing areas to any great degree based on whether they are growth or value to this point. For international, I am steering away from China, with the exception of foreign funds with a broad mandate...the Seafarer Fund as example.

I am also targeting blue chip divi payers...as this is a golden opportunity for a 4-5% dividends from good companies...there are several funds who do this if you don't like individual holdings. I also think this may be where the money will track.

I am not smart enough to know what gold will do...many people have lost alot of money trying to figure this out.

As for biotech...many here are buying into GILD, but I have quite a bit of HC in several of my funds and prefer gambling on dice. I am going to toss some funny money to ETNHX as discussed in the monthly newsletter. A basket of bios seems a good way to play this.

But....your more difficult question involves when to put money in play. Today was a sucker's rally. Big money bought during the fire sale yesterday AM, and then sold today during the rally. With the rally over the past few years and no correction, the market's default direction appears to be down. The next 6 weeks may be a bit nerve wracking. I may buy into carnage, but just at 25% bursts of available funds.

press
  • edited August 2015
    I'm done bottom fishing unless there's at least another 20% or so down. I'll hang on to what I have and watch the bricks fall for awhile. Not a market to risk everything on IMHO.

Agree with PRESSmUP that everyone will have their own opinion. If I was in a more speculative mood I'd load up on the riskiest (most depressed) EM bond funds.
  • Well guys, I'm looking for scientific opinion:-)

My personal opinion is there will be World War in 2025 and then it does not matter what I invest in.

Come on guys! So many jokers are saying this/that about this market, calling bottoms and tops and what not. We should have our own share of ANALysts here. Work with me a little.
  • "Would you bottom fish with a Growth Fund or a Value fund?"

OK, I'll play: "Yes!"
  • Old_Joe said:

"Would you bottom fish with a Growth Fund or a Value fund?"

OK, I'll play: "Yes!"

Okay I had a boss who did that to me. You are not as clueless I'm sure:-P

I use to ask him. "Do you want me to do the job THIS way OR THAT way". There are only two correct answers to that question and "Yes" isn't one of them.
  • If I knew or had more conviction, I'd have a newsletter. Frankly, I think we're heading down further until late September or early October. I may buy some on the way though. I don't mind being a tad early if I can avoid some early carnage.

We hit <10% pretty easy....looks like some more pain short term.

Just my opinion though.
  • Hi Press
    Interesting analysis. Was curious which blue chip dividend funds you like?.... Also Any thoughts on Foreign funds with a strong European concentration. I'm invested in Harbor Intl. Thanks a lot
  • edited August 2015
    @VF - It all depends on what the meaning of "bottom" is. :)
  • edited August 2015
    hank said:

@VF - It all depends on what the meaning of "bottom" is. :)

:-O
    At this point, I have to thank everyone from the heart of my bottom.

• Ok I will stick my neck out and say growth. Growth has done much better this year during the market's rise and I will assume the trend will continue. Besides value means oil and financials and perhaps utilities .For those I think I will wait for tax loss selling and next year.
  • jerry said:

Ok I will stick my neck out and say growth. Growth has done much better this year during the market's rise and I will assume the trend will continue. Besides value means oil and financials and perhaps utilities .For those I think I will wait for tax loss selling and next year.

Finally....thank you !!!

Now if the rest oblige, we may have a meaningful discussion going.:-)
  • How about T or VZ for the divs? That said, if I bottom fish, it will be for those stocks and growth funds
  • MikeW said:

Hi Press
    Interesting analysis. Was curious which blue chip dividend funds you like?.... Also Any thoughts on Foreign funds with a strong European concentration. I'm invested in Harbor Intl. Thanks a lot

Hi Mike,

There are a few funds I've looked at who focus on divi payors...SCHD and VIG are the ones which most often are mentioned, and I will most likely soon start a position in PQIIX which is a bit different though, in terms of its objective. You will find comments on all within these discussion boards. List below is a related link.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/32854/#Comment_32854

As for a foreign fund, I noodled quite a bit on this, and will be opening a position today in FMIJX. This is not a pure European fund, but is a good fit for my specific needs in terms of geography

press.

• Hey VF, if what you said is true, I better invest in Pb (lead the .223 round) and lots of them. But my spouse may object.

My personal opinion is there will be World War in 2025 and then it does not matter what I invest in.

• If another drop, I will consider buying RPG and RPV, on margin even, and I am surprised no one has mentioned them, the two best SP500 etfs, outpacing even RSP and SCHD.
  • Press,
    thanks very much for the feedback on dividend funds. I've also been looking at FMIJX-- a great fund....