Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GMO 7‐Year Asset Class Real Return Forecasts

edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Here's the latest projection from GMO. Not even high quality US Stocks rate a positive real return.

Link to GMO Forecast

@ InformalEconomist . For those without a log in (its free to get one), here are the "not so pretty" annual real return forecasts as of July 31, 2015:

Stocks

US Large -2.0%
US Small -2.0%
US High Quality 0.0%
Intl Large -0.5%
Intl Small -1.1%
Emerging 3.2%

Bonds

US Bond -0.9%
Intl Bonds Hedged -2.8%
Emerging Debt 2.1%
US Inflation Linked Bonds 0.0%
US Cash -0.3%

Timber 4.8%

Comments

• Requires one to log in.
    Possible to provide a link that doesn't require a login?
    Or perhaps just note which asset classes might not drown as badly as others, in GMO's forecast?
    Thanks.
  • How the heck do mortals invest in Timber? Fidelity Paper and Forestry Products?
  • VP: At the grocery store, look for the most bang for the buck in the tissue section !
    Have a good one , Derf
  • Derf said:

VP: At the grocery store, look for the most bang for the buck in the tissue section !
    Have a good one , Derf

:D
  • @davfor: Thanks very much. (I generally try to limit even free signups to sites I will use quite frequently, as a way of keeping down the number of doors and windows for viruses, hackers, and known bad guys to enter and mess up my life. ) I appreciate the extra work.
  • How the heck do mortals invest in Timber? Fidelity Paper and Forestry Products?

Fidelity Select Paper and Forestry Products (FSPFX) was merged into Fidelity Select Materials (FSDPX) in 2009. Looking at the top 25 holdings of FSDPX, I don't see any major players in the timber industry. So it looks like Fidelity tapped out on timber.

Looking at timber investment vehicles, there are two ETFs (WOOD, CUT) and a few stocks (RYN, PCL, WY, PCH). None of these look attractive to me.

CHART

Kevin

• GMO has had a terrible forecasting record since 2009 (and most likely before) They always have a bearish bent. Grantham is always talking up timber. Here's a 40+ year chart for lumber. Rule # xx for creating wealth, stay as far away from commodities as possible. Listening to the talking heads here, there, or wherever will never make you rich. Be an independent thinker - a square peg in a round hole.

http://www.futuresbuzz.com/lumberlt.html
  • As a complement to davfor's post about the asset class projections, here are a couple notes about the newest portfolio for their Benchmark-Free Allocation Fund. Benchmark-Free is a fund-of-funds that's charged with investing in the asset classes with the most attractive risk-return profile. That might mean 100% cash or it might mean 100% e.m. small caps. That's the "benchmark-free" part. The goal is to provide positive returns across different market conditions. It's averaged about 10% annually since inception and 7% annually over the past decade despite usually holding under 50% in stocks.

So here's GMO putting their money where their mouth is:

1. equities comprise 40% of the portfolio.

2. the regional equity weighting is 43% emerging, 24% US, 15% Europe, 10% UK.

3. the fund holds about 10% in cash and 7% in a market-neutral strategy that they treat as part of the cash (i.e., stability) allocation.

4. about 14% is invested in alternative strategies, largely because the equity opportunity set is so uninspiring.

5. about 30% is fixed income, which includes a short position on the Euro plus exposure to e.m. debt and asset-backed securities. In general, they're positioned for rising rates, particularly in Europe.

The strategy is manifested in GMO funds with $100 million minimums and, imperfectly, in Wells Fargo Absolute Return (WARAX).

For what interest that holds,

David
  • edited August 2015
    As you say "imperfectly" as WARAX is a stinker. Correct me if I am wrong but GBMFX is GMO's flagship fund. Not exactly a wealth creation machine, especially the past five years where it has underpeformed in its category.

http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/GBMFX/quote.html
  • Hi Guys,

I do believe that the GMO crew is a talented and skillful group of active investors.

Yet, I’m often puzzled by their 7-year forecasting releases. As a general observation, their forecasts frequently project various asset class returns that seem to depart from historical correlations between these elements.

A terrific illustration of this disconnect is the current projected poor returns for various equity components, and the estimated superior returns for emerging markets and timber.

It seems to me that emerging market and timber returns should be rather tightly and positively correlated with the core US equity markets. If the US markets suffer, so should emerging markets and timber who rely on large, profitable US customers.

Historical correlations support this close, interconnected dependency. I used the Portfolio Visualizer website to explore the correlation coefficients for representatives of three pertinent asset classes.

I used the Vanguard 500 Index fund (VFINX), the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index fund (VEIEX), and the ishares S&P Global Timber & Forestry Index fund ETF (WOOD) as surrogates for the three classes. I looked at their returns and correlation coefficients based on monthly data starting on 07/01/2008. That’s the complete database accessible on the Portfolio Visualizer site for all three products.

During this period, the VFINX delivered the highest annualized returns with the smallest standard deviation by a factor of two. The VFINX return was 9.42%, the VEIEX return was 0.89%, and the WOOD return was 3.33% annually.

During this same period, the VEIEX and the WOOD correlations to the VFINX product were 0.84 and 0.88, respectively. These three asset classes were in close march-step for this extended period.

This brief analyses reinforces my bafflement over the GMO forecast. Their current forecast is certainly a major departure from the way these classes have performed over the last 7 years.

Does GMO explain the basis for the present predictions in their documentation?

Best Wishes.
  • It is funny, how some people comment without completly knowing the history of GMO.
    Here is what I posted previously in the same forum a few years ago.

They have very good track record indeed, starting from predicting bull run in 1982.
    Grantham predicted the following, all the based on reversal to the mean

- In 1982, he said U.S. market was ripe for a "major rally."

- In 1989, he correctly called the top of the Japanese economy.

- In January 2000, he warned of an impending crash in tech stocks which took place two months later.

- In April 2007, Grantham said we are now seeing the first worldwide bubble in history covering all asset classes.

- They also predicted the outperformance of many of the asset classes that were cheap in 2001, REIT, Smallcap value, Emergin Market, etc.

GMO's predictions are based on the idea that profit margins and price-earnings ratios are mean-reverting over a period of years. Here is the link to Duke University professor Edward Tower' study on their predictions

http://public.econ.duke.edu/Papers//PDF/GMO_Predictions1.pdf

In fact, Mr. Tower participated in the discussions with Boglesheads in Diehard forum at M* after he published this research.

• edited August 2015
    From the below it appears Mr Grantham has had a bearish bent on U.S. stocks for a long time. Since 1994 if the first link is to be believed. On that first link scroll all the way to the bottom for some of his comments and predictions. I am sorry while I may be a peon Mom and Pop investor, I don't believe in putting any forecaster, regardless of the billions they may manage on a pedestal. Just the other day Jeffrey Gundlach made one of the most absurd statements ever - that junk bonds were at four year lows and the Fed shouldn't raise rates. 4 year lows? He must have been looking at a price chart of JNK or HYG which doesn't begin to tell the story. In fact, junk bonds hit all time highs as recently as 5/31 2015. The only person that is going to make you rich in the market is yourself and *how well you manage your portfolio*

https://www.cxoadvisory.com/3200/individual-gurus/jeremy-grantham/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2012/10/24/jeremy-grantham-warns-2013-will-be-a-dangerous-year-for-stocks/
  • "Do what I say, not do what I do":D
    Grantham "right" about many turns in the market, but he himself did not have conviction in his research? If he did, he would have made more money for investors.

Not disrespecting Grantham. Just saying writing research paper, and talking on TV is one thing. Making money for investors is another.
  • @mrc70, thanks for the reminder. I did read Tower's paper in DieHard's discussion forum (several times since then). But I am not fully convinced with his conclusion yet. Only time will tell.
  • GBMFX "has underperformed in its category"?

Uhhh .... 10 year growth of $10,000. GBMFX: $19,000. World allocation group: $14,000. Over 5 years, $13.2k to $12.7k. Over one- and three-year periods, essentially a tie. Add in volatility measures, and GMO clubs its peer group: the downside capture is about one-half of its peers while upside capture is about 80% of it. Vastly higher five- and ten-year Sharpe and Sortino ratios, lower S.D.

None of which answers the question, should we judge funds based on ill-fitting Morningstar categories? Morningstar's ratings are reliable only if you invest in a fund that invests very much like the herd which defines the peer group norms; as soon as you find someone who acts independently, you (a) need help assessing what's going on and (b) you find the Morningstar ratings become useless. Hence the fund with the industry's highest Sharpe ratio, which measures risk-adjusted performance, ends up as a one-star pariah.

Off to the Iowa State Fair and our annual celebration of food-on-a-stick. I'll have a deep-fried brownie and think of you all while I wait for the EMTs to arrive.

David

• MJG
    edited August 2015
    Hi Guys,

Investors often ask two questions when assessing a forecast. What is their historical accuracy record? What have they done for us lately?

Those questions are definitely appropriate for the GMO 7-year forecasts. The original references to Professor Edward Tower’s work are somewhat dated. An update would be beneficial. How do the forecasts align with reality?

Here is a Link to a GMO forecast summary from The Economist titled “The View from GMO”:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2013/09/investing-0

Please examine the Table in that article that compares forecasted real returns against actual outcomes. The author concludes that “While there was clearly a pessimistic bias to the forecasts, the direction of their guesses was remarkably accurate.”

I concur. In general, GMO overestimated losses for expected negative markets, and underestimated gains for projected positive markets. GMO’s directional projections were very prescience. When making predictions, precision is a daunting challenge. Hooray for GMO.

But what have they done for us lately? Professor Tower has updated his review of the GMO 7-year forecast project. Here is a Link to one of his presentations that compared equivalent GMO and Vanguard funds:

http://public.econ.duke.edu/Papers//Other/Tower/GMO_Versus_Vanguard.docx

The basic takeaway from the referenced article according to Tower is that “ On average, GMO’s claim of the superiority of its managed funds to Index performance has carried over to outperforming Vanguard during the first half of the most recent ten year period. Over the second half it has not.”

So, has GMO lost its market mojo? Probably not. It is simply the Iron Rule of regression-to-the-mean exercising its persistent power. When forecasting you win some and you lose some. In the end, it’s a coin toss. Apparently GMO also subscribes to the Regression Iron Rule since that is one of the factors in their 7-year forecasting model.

The GMO forecasts are full of data and informative. But beware. Larry Swedroe’s tenth simple investment truth is that “The forecasts of market strategists and analysis have no value, except as entertainment”. That’s likely an overstatement, but it does capture some fundamental wisdom based on practical experience and formal studies.

I hope this posting and the references help.

Best Wishes.
  • >>>Larry Swedroe’s tenth simple investment truth is that “The forecasts of market strategists and analysis have no value, except as entertainment”.<<<

Could not agree more albeit so many hang on every pearl of folly out of their mouths and base their investment decisions thereof.
  • MJG said:

But beware. Larry Swedroe’s tenth simple investment truth is that “The forecasts of market strategists and analysis have no value, except as entertainment”. That’s likely an overstatement, but it does capture some fundamental wisdom based on practical experience and formal studies.

Does anybody have a list of the other 9 of Larry Swedroe's 'simple investment truths'??
  • For those who want to see this in graphic format......

• Hi rjb112,

Thank you for your question. Larry Swedroe has actually generated a list of 14 investment Truths. I was just quoting Number 10 from that set.

His list appeared in a book he authored a few years ago. The title of the book is “The Successful Investor Today: 14 Simple Truths You Must Know When You Invest”.

But you need not buy the book. The List is accessible from many sources. Here is one from The Street website that not only provides the 14 Truths, but also offers a rather lengthy commentary of each Truth:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10108607/1/the-truth-about-the-stock-market.html

Enjoy. I keep the Swedroe List nearby with other noteworthy investor lists. They all differ somewhat, but all have many common elements. It’s not rocket science.

Best Wishes.
  • Thanks a lot MJG.....much appreciated