Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Does Litman-Gregory Add Value?

Saturday's Barron's piece on the L-G Alternative Strategies Fund, "Managing the Managers," [http://online.barrons.com/articles/litman-gregory-manages-the-managers-1439013175] led me to take a look at the line-up of multi-manager funds that L-G has been running for a couple of decades (Equity, International, Smaller Companies). The basic idea is to hire the best managers, give each a slice of the fund, and give them the freedom to perform. Over the years, in my recollection, the line-ups have changed, but I recognize old-timers such as David Herro and Dick Weiss who are still on board. You'd think the funds would out perform because L-G can cherry pick good managers. However, my amateurish analysis of the long-term performance of the equity funds shows they barely keep up with their benchmarks. Small-cap managers are supposed to be able to add value: L-G's guys don't keep up with the Russell 2000. My conclusion is that a stable of well-known managers is no better than the nearest index fund.

Comments

• I think you're short-changing them a bit. Litman-Gregory produces beautiful, 3-D pie charts, tastefully colorized.
  • @BenWP: Your link did not take because of subscription requirements. You need to click on article title at top of Google search, as I did last Saturday.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/22952/managing-the-managers#latest
  • Thanks, Ted, I knew you'd come to my aid. I was abroad and not able to log in very much over the last 10 days.
  • edited August 2015
    My problem with Litman's Alternative Strategies fund is I don't really see it as one. I think for the most part it's a balanced fund in disguise that charges slightly lower than average alternative fund fees. I don't see subadvisers Doubleline or FPA as really alternative fund managers as they do very little shorting or arbitrage and even the newcomer Passport is mostly long. Loomis Sayles is shorting, but it's a relative newcomer to alternative investing of this sort as far as I can tell and you can buy its alternative funds directly from Loomis Sayles for a lower fee. (The same goes for most of the other managers that have their own branded products.) Click here to see the breakdown of managers and strategies at the Masters fund: mastersfunds.com/pdfs/fact-sheets/MASFX_fact_sheet.pdf
  • Wow! Thanks to Lewis, I was able to view the colorful, but muted, pie charts. Now that's adding value.
  • I agree with Lewis (not surprising, really) with this small demurral: it is an "alternatives" fund if you define "alternative" as "not vanilla market exposure." If you're looking for 60/40 and think the the risk-return profile of the core stock and bond markets is reasonable, this doesn't add a lot of value but it does charge a lot in fees. If you're skeptical of the state of, say, intermediate-term investment grade bonds or the S&P 500 but you'd still prefer market exposure to a plethora of weird derivatives and inexplicable strategies, then this might have a role.

My greater concern is not with Alternative Strategies or even International (they're run through 22 managers over time and produced a good record, but simply investing with their first manager's flagship fund - Mark Yockey and Artisan International - would have been even better). My greater concern is with Focused Opportunities (liquidated), Value (liquidated), and Equity (which has parlayed 33 all-stars into decent returns since inception but poor ones over both the current market cycle starting in 2007 and the past ten years). Collectively they raise serious questions about either the possibility of finding a stellar collection of long-term domestic equity managers or the appropriateness of a total return measure (as opposed to one that's more sensitive to risk or process or some such).

David
  • Hi BenWP,

You are spot on-target with “However, my amateurish analysis of the long-term performance of the equity funds shows they barely keep up with their benchmarks.” And I concur with your conclusion “that a stable of well-known managers is no better than the nearest index fund.”

I have owned the Masters equity fund product (MSEFX) since its inception. The concept of an elite manager team with each member independently contributing a short list of his “best ideas” to form a somewhat concentrated portfolio is very attractive. Potentially it’s a positive Alpha winning strategy when executed with resolve.

That’s especially true if the team organizers carefully monitor performance and are prepared to fire members who don’t meet their standards. Litman-Gregory did all that. They also published very informative fund updates and special study reports. Their website is terrific.

What could go wrong? Initially MSEFX did deliver Excess Returns. However, eventually that old market nemesis took its customary stranglehold, a regression-to-the-mean became the norm.

Litman-Gregory released some managers, and dutifully selected outstanding replacements. Some contributed, others detracted from performance. The current team members have superior records. Here is a Masters Link to the present MSEFX team members:

http://www.mastersfunds.com/equity

Please click on the “managers” button to access MSEFX’s current honor role of excellent fund managers. However, the record speaks loud and clear: A superior investment squad does not guarantee superior outcomes.

You asked: “Does Litman-Gregory Add Value?” Based on my over two decades of experience with MSEFX, my answer is No. That might seem too harsh a judgment given that I believe Litman-Gregory is trustworthy and dedicated to their logical policies. They do practice what they preach. However, over an extended timeframe, results have disappointed.

Indeed, based on my anecdotal experience, “a stable of well-known managers is no better than the nearest index fund.” That's at least true for MSEFX.

I still believe that researching and choosing managers with outstanding long-term records reduces risk. But it’s challenging to identify these few talented (and likely also lucky) souls. To date, my experiment with MSEFX failed so I’m reducing exposure. I learn slowly.

Best Regards.
  • I appreciate the thoughtful contributions. I, too, was an investor with L-G in their early days and still have a spiffy loose-leaf binder that I still use for other records. Their commentaries were good reading and the firm impresses by its professionalism. The high turnover in managers may have proven to be as negative an indicator of success as a high turnover ratio in an equity fund.

Ciao
  • edited August 2015
    I was intrigued many years ago, when the "Masters" funds appeared. I was skeptical re their E/Rs, so I figured I'd wait and see. Honestly, I'd kind of forgotten about them, til I saw this thread. Prompted by the thread, I decided to "look and see"....

Looking at trailing returns between MSENX vs. VFINX (S&p 500) and FCNTX (Fido Contrarian), there certainly does NOT seem to be any convincing evidence that the "master investors" are adding Alpha, above the fund's E/R..

MNILX? (the Intl fund)... I hold Artisan's ARTKX, which blows it away (though its closed to new investors). MNILX doesn't seem to have any evident advantage over Fidelity's FOSFX. I guess MNILX is 'OK', but again, the 'masters' don't seem to bring anything special in delivering performance.

As for small cap MSSFX, Vanguard's "no master" index fund VISVX convincing trounces MSSFX over trailing periods.

The numbers are what they are. An admittedly intriguing concept of owning a 'masters' vehicle, but implementation (along with the cost burden of high E/Rs) simply has not delivered, in this writer's opinion.
  • edited August 2015
    BenWP: 10:39AM
    Wow! Thanks to Lewis, I was able to view the colorful, but muted, pie charts. Now that's adding value
    NOW THAT'S UNFAIR! Their bar charts are pretty, too... LINK: pretty charts

• Has not MSILX, the international fund, added value? At first blush, and with my limited powers of analysis, it seems that it has.
  • edited August 2015
    LG should rename it the 'Alternative Balanced Fund.'

I was a long-time follower of the (former) Litman-Gregory No Load Fund Analyst, and respected their process. Since I was philosophically aligned with how they conducted due diligence on a range of money managers, I checked out their Alternative Strategies fund.

MASNX/MASFX has an enviable stable of "highly experienced managers" that provide "complementary, low-correlation investment approaches." The fund has demonstrated downside protection and alpha generating returns (check out its standard deviation, Sharpe and Sortino ratios).

It is a compelling fund - EXCEPT for its expense ratio.

I like these guys, but find it ludicrous that they claim its expense ratio is "highly competitive." They would do themselves a favor by reducing the fund's expense ratio (currently 1.49/1.74% net).

Now, THAT would add value!
  • Hear, hear Amir!