Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Eventide Healthcare & Life Sciences

First of all I really want to thank David for having dedicated part of the last commentary to ESG & SRI investing, a topic I had hoped he would address at some point. I was curious about the Eventide Healthcare & Life Sciences ETNHX fund you mentioned might show up in the commentary and if they had gotten back to you about your two outstanding questions. I was/am very intrigued by this fund and always find your takes informative. Do you expect to get the remaining information from them this month?

Comments

• I own it and love it. Would like more info, too.
  • TedTed
    edited July 2015
    @little5bee: The doctor is in the house ! I hope everyone who has been on the MFO Discussion Board for any length of time owns a health care fund. If they don't, they've lost a lot of money !
    Regards,
    Ted

The Principles Of Faith-Based Investing
    Finny Kurvilla, Manager , Eventide Healthcare & Life Sciences
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-07-08/the-principles-behind-faith-based-investing
  • Hi, Ted -- Yes, although ETNHX has a higher ER than I would like, the managers have definitely earned it. It has been on such a steep incline lately, though, that I'm getting a little nervous. What goes straight up, must come straight down, right?
  • little5bee: " What goes straight up, must come straight down, right? " Not necessarily, especially biotech & general health.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Is there any specific reason to be interested in this fund? Since inception, it was more volatile than FBIOX and did not grow money as fast.
  • FBIOX is a transaction fee fund at Schwab...ETNHX is not.
  • ETIHX (available in TDAmeritrade retirement accounts for $10K minimum with TF) has an average market cap of $1.69B, as compared with FBIOX's $8.3B, so these funds are clearly operating in different market cap spaces making comparison very difficult. I would suggest looking at XBI (average market cap $2.26B), which has outperformed ETIHX over all time periods since inception while having a much lower ER of 0.35% vs. 1.43% for ETIHX.

Kevin
  • Yes, it would have been great to buy XBI a few years ago at the bottom. At my age, however, I would be too nervous to commit that much money at once after the run biotech has had. Much less anxiety to buy a little ETNHX...or FBIOX. Now, if we had a biotech pullback......
  • Can anyone provide an example of a biotech stock that meets faith-based criteria and one stock that does not meet them? I didn't read all of Eventide's rationale, but what I read left me puzzled and I can't grasp what religion has to do with their stock picking.